BROKERS hurting DRIVERS pay: DON'T TAKE THE LOAD

AmericanGem

Hello everyone - I am a AUTO-dispatcher for about 150 owner operators. I know what your going thru and I know it hurts.
:beep:
We need to cut the broker out of the picture. The drivers must UNITE and decline any stupid rate posted on the load boards
(central dispatch... etc ). If your not making money - then leave the load sitting. Brokers only make a few calls and negotiate to keep as much in their pocket as much as possible.

I have researched the industry and know for a fact that there are more than a handful of drivers with NO INSURANCE! They don't care about the rates because they have no insurance payments. Possibly no truck payments either; because they have trashy equipment and it' already paid for or it's up for repo.

for example loads out of:
Texas to Florida $200-$300 a car - NOT
California - East Coast $4000.00 - NOT
SNOWBIRDS NEED TO PAY MORE!!!!
A LOT OF WORK, A LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE DRIVER - LET'S MAKE CONTACT WITH THE OWNER OF THE VEHICLES AND MOVE THEM DIRECTLY.
  • I have been asking my drivers to obtain the plates and I can run them and then make contact with the consumer directly. I have snowbirds straight from the customer now with out the brokers and the driver is making $800.00 a car COD or PRE-PAID. I started that 3 yrs ago and it's going well. My drivers are happy with my approach.
IF YOUR A TRUCK DRIVER - PLEASE DON'T TAKE CHEAP RATES! YOUR HURTING YOURSELF AND OTHER DRIVERS. THIS IS YOUR INDUSTRY - TAKE CARE OF IT.

LET'S STRIKE AGAINST BROKERS AND LET THEM KNOW HOW IT FEELS. THEY DON'T HAVE INSURANCE PAYMENTS, NOR DO THEY HAVE TRUCK PAYMENTS.... THEY ARE TAKING YOUR MONEY JUST TO TALK ON THE PHONE!!!!

REGARDS,
MICHELLE

Once again, thanks for the info. With the help of web sites like TF we can weed out the rip off brokers. Communication is the key..............good luck all.

I came out of CO last week empty...Rates were .80-.90 cents per mile gross..
Just say no to cheap freight like I did and will continue to do so..

First thing dont use brokers. Lease your truck to a decent size company with plenty of agents and you wont need brokers. Second It is not the brokers job to say NO it is YOURS the owner of the truck.

First thing dont use brokers. Lease your truck to a decent size company with plenty of agents and you wont need brokers. Second It is not the brokers job to say NO it is YOURS the owner of the truck.

Those of us with our own authority are forced to use brokers nowadays. I used to have good customers until brokers came in and cut my rates by as much as 30%. Now my customers are gone but told me it was not because of a bad job that i did it was because of the money why they went with the other guy. Tough for a good small guy to stay in business like that.

I can't see giving up my authority for the companies that are looking for O/Ops they all seem to want to pay at best $1.00 per mile plus around $.30 fsc right now i am averaging $1.57 for ALL MILES my truck moves, but I am still struggling at these rates. Don't know how guys are making it with less money per mile. (granted they are probably running around 2500+ miles per week but i usually get home every weekend and don't work as hard anymore) Getting to old to run like i used to when i was in my 20's.

Hello everyone - I am a AUTO-dispatcher for about 150 owner operators. I know what your going thru and I know it hurts.
:beep:
We need to cut the broker out of the picture. The drivers must UNITE and decline any stupid rate posted on the load boards
(central dispatch... etc ). If your not making money - then leave the load sitting. Brokers only make a few calls and negotiate to keep as much in their pocket as much as possible.

I have researched the industry and know for a fact that there are more than a handful of drivers with NO INSURANCE! They don't care about the rates because they have no insurance payments. Possibly no truck payments either; because they have trashy equipment and it' already paid for or it's up for repo.

for example loads out of:
Texas to Florida $200-$300 a car - NOT
California - East Coast $4000.00 - NOT
SNOWBIRDS NEED TO PAY MORE!!!!
A LOT OF WORK, A LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE DRIVER - LET'S MAKE CONTACT WITH THE OWNER OF THE VEHICLES AND MOVE THEM DIRECTLY.
  • I have been asking my drivers to obtain the plates and I can run them and then make contact with the consumer directly. I have snowbirds straight from the customer now with out the brokers and the driver is making $800.00 a car COD or PRE-PAID. I started that 3 yrs ago and it's going well. My drivers are happy with my approach.
IF YOUR A TRUCK DRIVER - PLEASE DON'T TAKE CHEAP RATES! YOUR HURTING YOURSELF AND OTHER DRIVERS. THIS IS YOUR INDUSTRY - TAKE CARE OF IT.

LET'S STRIKE AGAINST BROKERS AND LET THEM KNOW HOW IT FEELS. THEY DON'T HAVE INSURANCE PAYMENTS, NOR DO THEY HAVE TRUCK PAYMENTS.... THEY ARE TAKING YOUR MONEY JUST TO TALK ON THE PHONE!!!!

REGARDS,
MICHELLE

Got to say Michelle you are not to bright. Yeah it sucks a broker taking some of your money but we have expenses too, and those expenses equall a truck payment, on a new truck.
You say we dont have to have insurance, WRONG. Our insurance is generally 5 times more coverage than your policy, plus liability which you dont have to carry plus supplemental which you THE DRIVER does not have to carry. Most drivers with one truck could not afford those extra coverages, even if you took the broker out of the equation you would still not make enough. Then what are you going to do when your shipper holds up $30,000 or more of your money because you screwed up a load and have a claim. It will take you 60-90 days to get your cash flow going again. By then your truck is repod, so are your cars and you lost your house and your kids are hungry.

If you want to criticize something get your facts straight and come to the table sounding like you actually know what you are talking about.
Also, according to your post you committed a felony every time you contacted one of those customers. Any time you sign on with a broker you are required to sign a waiver not to solicit a brokers clients. Its punishible by 5 years in prison and a $25,000 fine for each offense. So you are twice the idiot for telling hard working people to risk everything to back solicit their customers!! And yes I said twice the idiot.

This is why every single person on this site needs to actually check facts for themselves. That means make phone calls and look stuff up on the web so some asshole with a grudge does not cost you everything you have worked so hard for.

OH, by the way Michelle, you are not only a idiot, you are a liar.

LOL, agents are brokers within that company. My buddy is with Landstar and we talk about the same loads on his loadboard and the on ones I use. They use other brokerages to get loads. Some are independent brokers and have Landstar, Mercer or somebody else for seasonal overflow. I go to U-ship for comic relief:rolllaugh: sometimes and see big LTL carriers and Landstar agents bidding on freight.
Your second point is right, it's the truck owners job to say no.

I came out of CO last week empty...Rates were .80-.90 cents per mile gross..
Just say no to cheap freight like I did and will continue to do so..

I am glad, I have been doing that for the last 3 years

Flatbed, you should realy look into the onion loads around wray co and east of denver on 70. They almost always pay decent.

That may true, but there is a problem. I haul 50000 with what I have on the truck already. We no longer use side kits because of the so called safety issues from shippers and receivers, ( when I was told to completely remove the side kit to load or unload )
So I have a 270 inch tractors minimum, 48 foot flats minimum, complete enclosed headache rack full of chains and binders, two tool boxes on the tractor for extra items, and full set of tire chains on hangers. spare parts and what ever in sleeper compartments, trailers have boxes between spread full of straps, and spare winches, coil racks and so on. Minumum of 12 4 X 4s or 4 X 6s for lagging, and two sets of tarps.

So I have no room to store a side kit. Storage box and kit dropped 1000 pounds off

Now if they were crated, and only need a tarp, shoot me a price on a return load.

I may be your first Guinea pig here on the forum, and if things look reasonable and work out well, I could be an asset rather than an ass/

I am not to familiar with flat beds. Have never pulled one and you know how it is. Guys hauling flats stick to those other guys and drivers with vans stick to those drivers so I have not had the opportunity to really learn about them. I am not sure if you need the side kit. You dont ever tarp onions, they need the air. They are in sacks, 50#, and palletized, the way I have always seen the load secured is just a strap going over each row of pallets. The pallets will be shrink wrapped. I will have to call the shippers and see if you have to have a side kit.
You wont need the tire chains on the truck until Sept or October, whenever the chainlaw goes back into effect, so that can cut 500 pounds.

Once equipped, that's the way the trucks stay, that way we know what is needed is on the truck at all times. To many times many moons ago, we were always missing something from adding and subtracting. The new method of its ready, works the best. As far as the onions thing now. crates would be no problem. I just know that a couple of years ago, we had a truck in Nebraska for a load like this, and no one said side kit. They were just loading open top side kits,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread