Boy, you all are worrying me to death!

oa_smallfry

ronandfezfans.com
I've been running the southeast region for around 10 years now with two companies. The last 4 years have been spent pulling containers out of NE Tennessee to the southern ports, then backhauling up to as far as Lexington, KY, but usually only to middle Tennessee. The kicker was, I was in a company hotel every night I was away from home. I lost this job last saturday due to a mass layoff. I've found a job that runs north. Reading this scares the *s* out of me! I've not had to fight a truckstop in over 10 years other than to get fuel. And with that, I always got it at the same stops. Damn I hope this works out better than it sounds. This company runs a lot to the NE. My luck I'll get stuck on Long Island or somewhere in Jersey with nowhere to sleep, and exit ramps up there would totally freak me out not knowing if I'm going to get killed or not! Thanks alot, guys! lol.

get a good truckstop book and try to start earlier in the day so you can shut down earlier in the day so you can be able to find a truckstop parking spot. it's not as bad as your psyching yourself up too.

Thats what i was talking about before start finding you a truck stop
Early or it will be hard to get a spot.

Me Too...

I was a SE Regional (VA - TX) driver, as well, for a long time. I did run to New England early in my career and decided to try and stay away from there if possible. About eight months ago I signed on with a great company with a great compensation package, but, the downside is I have to make a trip per week to New England. I have adjusted. The key is scheduling, and, lots of patience. Also, I'm not route restricted, so, if I want to avoid the I-95 corridor I can add 60 miles to the trip and cut through the hills on I-81 and I-84.

get a good truckstop book and try to start earlier in the day so you can shut down earlier in the day so you can be able to find a truckstop parking spot. it's not as bad as your psyching yourself up too.

Thats what i was talking about before start finding you a truck stop
Early or it will be hard to get a spot.

Yep, ya gotta beat all those Swifties and Weiner and USA and Knight and England drivers who leave late and shut down early.

And then bitch about how they don't get any miles.

And gripe about how crappy their mileage pay is.

dont run NE... simple

I go where the loads go. If they go to Vermont, I go to Vermont. If they go to Skowhegan, Maine, I go to Skowhegan, Maine. If they go to New Hampshire, I go to New Hampshire. Live Free Or Die.

Why did you pick a company that ran the NE? There are drivers who LIKE that crap. Not me buddy. Whenever I run into a NE driver I walk up to him or her, shake their hand and give them a sincere Thank You! There are lots of lanes to run. NE doesnt have to be one of them. Good Luck with your new job.

Three and a half years ago the OP might have answered your questions. I am pretty sure he got tired of waiting for this thread to really catch fire.

Interesting how things will lie dormant, and someone comes along and finds it, and then "bam!" it takes off.

Or not.

I go where the loads go. If they go to Vermont, I go to Vermont. If they go to Skowhegan, Maine, I go to Skowhegan, Maine. If they go to New Hampshire, I go to New Hampshire. Live Free Or Die.

Load selection is like playing chess, you have to plan three or four moves ahead. Perhaps a good paying load goes to the NE, now, can you find a load out of the NE, much less a good paying load out of the NE. You have to add the two, maybe a third or fouth, together to see if you have a good deal or not.

You have to consider tolls, routes, out of routes, congestion, lack of parking among a host of other factors. I have gone into the NE, I don't like it as much as the rest of the country. I prefer the West and Texas, then Midwest (except Chicago and the Great Lakes region), then the SE.

Now that I am a true Owner Operator running under my own authority, I have the freedom of planning my loads as far out as possible. I am hoping that this gives me greater opportunity in load selection with the intent of keeping me moving with minimum down time. I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I have to balance planning my loads with minimum time between loads and the possibility of delays beyond my control.

Wow 3 and half years later we still aint heard from the guy.I hope he didn't get killed.............look, somebody had to say it.

many times things happen, like the computer gets a virus or a trojan, and then the whole system needs to be re-installed. when this happens, the list of web sites gets forgotten. sometimes by simple working daily, one just does not have the time anymore to visit. then there are times when people just "out grow" being a part of a community. one perhaps final thought would be that the o/p logged off one day, forgot his sign on name, or password (after maybe a short time away), and may be here under another name..?? the o/p had at least 72 postings,then this long gap in time has elapsed, clearly suggesting one of the above, or perhaps something else where in the o/p cannot (under the name he used here) be here any more.

hopefully he is ok, and has been doing well.

There are plenty of service centers and truck stops in Jersey, its really no biggy.

Get stuck in Philly and yah you have problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread