• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Beware...of TMC

ziggyzago

I was surprised to find out all the bad things that went on inside the TMC military compound. Yes people I thought I was choosing one of the best trucking companies out there but I was wrong. they suck... While at orientation I had drivers staying in my room and they gave me the truth. 1. do not exspect to make 8 to a thousand a week cause you won,t unless you stay out there for months. 2. Yes you will have the national anthum blasted in your ears every morning on the bus. 3. If you leave the company before 6 month period you will have to pay 38% of your check back to the company. 4. The instructors are arrogant asses that believe that are gods and you are a piece of crap.the load securement instructor is even worse then that and ignorant to boot. 5. I f your hair is touching your collar you,ll be getting cut at the motel or out you go. Well I.m not going to waste anymore of my time talking about that place I just wasted 9 days of my life I,ll never get back. I,d rather work for Werner or Swift then the communist TMC.

this is the first real negative i have heard about TMC. might have been the place you went for orientation and not the whole company.

Can you confirm that what they said was the truth? I know TMC drivers,one of them is a friend of mine,and they make that or more.Don't take info from people in orientation that's never really worked for the company,cause all they're doing is getting you to leave so they have less compatition.You can make that if you are willing to get out the truck and tarp a load or do mutiple drops.Some of the requirements of the job! Don't take advise from someone who doesn't know exactly what's going on or you could get the wrong info dude!!!

I was surprised to find out all the bad things that went on inside the TMC military compound. Yes people I thought I was choosing one of the best trucking companies out there but I was wrong. they suck... While at orientation I had drivers staying in my room and they gave me the truth.
ok.............and here's a "little game" i like to play, its called "pick apart the story for more details than what someone is saying".....

first of all, i think you "might be" a newbie. because if you were a "seasoned pro", you would be able to sift through the dis-information you got in orientation.....

read-on..........

1. do not exspect to make 8 to a thousand a week cause you won,t unless you stay out there for months.
not the slightest bit true.
in fact, most truckers WILL make that and more each week, without having to be gone months at a time. i think those guys in your room were trying to scare you away, hoping for better first out assignments after orientation.

2. Yes you will have the national anthum blasted in your ears every morning on the bus.
well, 1) you could have asked for the volume to be turned down
2) you could have just gone along with our NATIONAL ANTHEM
3) what's wrong with being proud to be american...?? maybe the owner of the company, or the bus driver is "super-patriotic".....??
4) i hope you ARE NOT a foreinger, if so, get out of MY COUNTRY

3. If you leave the company before 6 month period you will have to pay 38% of your check back to the company.
you need to explain this, as you left us in the dark on your reason, or lack of them

4. The instructors are arrogant asses that believe that are gods and you are a piece of crap.the load securement instructor is even worse then that and ignorant to boot.
then, you were never in the military (neither was i), but any instructor has an awesome responsibility each day for your training, safety to everyone, and proper teaching. if any instructor were to slack off or do a crap job, what learning would you have done...??

5. I f your hair is touching your collar you,ll be getting cut at the motel or out you go.
ok.........if YOU, the original writer of this thread, have short hair, then why would you be complaining about this....??

however, i am of the thinking that YOU have long hair, and think that NO COMPANY should have a dress code requirement...

well guess what, a famous baseball player (Johnny Damon) from the Boston Red Sox, had long hair and a beard when he was with the sox.

he then went to the New York Yankee's..........

guess what..........the NY Yankess' HAVE A DRESS CODE....NO BEARDS..NO LONG HAIR.....NO FACIAL HAIR.....

Johnny cleaned up.........heck, if he can "clean up" for the millions of dollars he gets, you could have cleaned up the thousands of dollars you WERE GOING TO GET.............

Well I.m not going to waste anymore of my time talking about that place I just wasted 9 days of my life I,ll never get back. I,d rather work for Werner or Swift then the communist TMC.
i think you are a case of sour-grapes.

i think that those guys in your room scared you right out of a very good paying job.

i think that from reading your thread YOU ARE A NEWBIE, and YOU THINK the world owes YOU SOMETHING..

well guess what, you want a good job, you gotta earn it. if it means you gotta shave and get a short haircut, than DO IT.....!!

sounds to me like you're the type of driver that i'll be smelling while i wait in line for the cashier, because you don't like to shower either..............

be carefull.............if you go to those other companies...........showers ARE required by the driver-trainers.............:banana1:

how could you NOT make 800 to 1000 per week? they pay 40 bucks just to tarp!that's an easy 200 per week,geez allready.My friend says his truck was in excellent shape when he was assigned to it and it still runs like a champ because tmc is on top of the maintenance schedule.He couldn't comment on the hair because he went in straight out of the army but he did say they want clean cut drivers,not guys that have been in the same clothes they put on 4 days ago when they took thier last shower.Sounds like you got Bulled hard to me.

This is The Truth

First of all, Saint, you don't get paid $40 for tarping, it's $10. Those of you who have been in this industry awhile, should know what to look for and this company is not it. They DO try and get every dollar out of you. The miles are NEVER correct (short). They will blame it on the program they are running. For those of you who are thinking about TMC as a place for long term, think again. When I left, there were only 10% of their fleet were veterans (10+ yrs). And there is a reason for that. The majority of their revenue comes from their school, so the DRIVER is NOT a priority. You will be at the bottom of the totem pole. You will start seeing this after about 6-8 mos.
I personally have caught them twice, trying to lie to me about revenue. I could not waste anymore if my time with these guys. If you like a little more in depth explaination, you can e-mail me and I will gladly fill you in.
TMC is great at getting you in, but be forwarned, it's only temporary.
Also, PRO1driver, have you worked for TMC? You sure sound like one of those people in the office, who has no idea what they're talking about.

First of all, Saint, you don't get paid $40 for tarping, it's $10. Those of you who have been in this industry awhile, should know what to look for and this company is not it. They DO try and get every dollar out of you. The miles are NEVER correct (short). They will blame it on the program they are running. For those of you who are thinking about TMC as a place for long term, think again. When I left, there were only 10% of their fleet were veterans (10+ yrs). And there is a reason for that. The majority of their revenue comes from their school, so the DRIVER is NOT a priority. You will be at the bottom of the totem pole. You will start seeing this after about 6-8 mos.
I personally have caught them twice, trying to lie to me about revenue. I could not waste anymore if my time with these guys. If you like a little more in depth explaination, you can e-mail me and I will gladly fill you in.
TMC is great at getting you in, but be forwarned, it's only temporary.
Also, PRO1driver, have you worked for TMC? You sure sound like one of those people in the office, who has no idea what they're talking about.
pro1driver went by by.

As with most companies, you have to learn to filter the BS from the honest stuff. Most folks that complain bitterly about a company usually aren't telling the entire story. ;)

I' not at all surprised,alot of companies steal from those poor drivers.As far as the tarping goes.I drove flatbed for 3 months and that was too much for me.I was ready to quit after a week.The tarp weighed more then me.It's sad that companies keep most the tarp fee.The cust pays the company $100.00 or more per ld for tarping and the driver only gets chump change.They say they use that money for tarps,straps,bungy cords and binders.Bullcrap they use it for them selfish greedy selves.

Bitter? lol

As with most companies, you have to learn to filter the BS from the honest stuff. Most folks that complain bitterly about a company usually aren't telling the entire story. ;)
Well, first of all Biker, I'm not bitter, just telling it like it is. they are now cutting their fleet to try and weed out the problems, but until they change their business practices towards their drivers, it will be nothing but a futile attempt. my friend still works for them. He is a veteran of 30 yrs as well, and agrees there's still alot of BS that exists. TMC = "Take My Check"

this is the first real negative i have heard about TMC. might have been the place you went for orientation and not the whole company.

You have got to be kidding me! The first time you heard TO MANY COCKSUCKERS is a bad company. They are broke going through bankruptcy. They are cutting everyone's rates to get work at the drivers expense. I have had drivers asking me for jobs. They don't get 43 cents a mile and free insurance and a pension plan and so on. Maybe at one time they did. The last I heard is 28 cents a mile or percentage of load to be 20%. Well when I haul a set of coils from Indiana to Denver for 3100 and TMC doers it for 1500 and offers a free back haul to the company. The driver is the one getting screwed. Yes we have the account back because they damaged to much and could not meet the contract they signed. Kicker is Mercer undercut them and now they are hauling allot more than us, but we make the money, in fact more than they do for far less work. That will be another company that will fail with cheap freight.

Yes, I also thought I was working for the best flatbed company out there. TMC claims to be "Family Oriented", what a joke! I worked w/the company for 2 1/2 years up until a few days ago. I let my fleet manager know months in advance that I wanted to be home for my child's first day @ school. When that day came, he tried to give me a load that would not allow me to be home. Even though my wife & I both let him know months in advance & that he replied in that email saying he could accomodate me. All I wanted was a later delivery date & he wouldn't give it to me. So, I took the truck back to the terminal. It's a shame that I gave them that much of my time just to be treated like sh*t! Not only did they lose a veteran driver, but they also lost a trainer/recruiter. I had enough of being treated badly after busting my hump day in & day out. Screw TMC!

You really thought they (trucking companies) care. Well when push comes to shove they don't.
You know they will now D.A.C. you for abandonment even though you left the truck at the yard.
After all they are paid for reporting..................

Yes, I also thought I was working for the best flatbed company out there. TMC claims to be "Family Oriented", what a joke! I worked w/the company for 2 1/2 years up until a few days ago. I let my fleet manager know months in advance that I wanted to be home for my child's first day @ school. When that day came, he tried to give me a load that would not allow me to be home. Even though my wife & I both let him know months in advance & that he replied in that email saying he could accomodate me. All I wanted was a later delivery date & he wouldn't give it to me. So, I took the truck back to the terminal. It's a shame that I gave them that much of my time just to be treated like sh*t! Not only did they lose a veteran driver, but they also lost a trainer/recruiter. I had enough of being treated badly after busting my hump day in & day out. Screw TMC!
I lasted six months. I have so many stories about TMC. The good news is you learn so much about being screwed that you know what to look for. TMC uses all the tricks. I've got a great company now.

You know what Pro1driver; you seem like the guy who knows everything about everyone and everything. And some ex Marine who has to see all guys with the High and Tight haircut, or professional Wall Street look. This is trucking. Drivers make barely more than minimum wage in a lot of cases when you really factor in all the hours that drivers are on the go, awake for the company, or whatever. Yeah, I am a long hair. Want me to cut it, pay me $100,000.00+ a year. A professional look deserves a professional pay. Anything under 6 figures is not professional in this day in age. I am sick of the mentality of the guy having to have short hair. As long as it is clean - maybe even pony tailed, and it does not interfere with driving, there should not be a problem. This is just another form of discrimination, and controlling/owning people. Women can have long or short hair. I guess the mentality is also "gotta keep up with the trend and conform". And I guess it's okay for tattoos and piercings as long as you have the Wall Street or Presidential haircut. You're just another guy who hates a guy who has long hair, and/stereotypes long haired guys as druggies or something. You wannabe professionals make me want to vommit.

ok.............and here's a "little game" i like to play, its called "pick apart the story for more details than what someone is saying".....

Just another PROFESSIONAL teaching little insect, that's the inpression here.

first of all, i think you "might be" a newbie. because if you were a "seasoned pro", you would be able to sift through the dis-information you got in orientation.....

Problem is you think too much. You're probably one of those PRO ROAD WARRIOR - BILLY BIG RIGGER types with 30 years on the road because you have no life or other ambition to do anything else but watch the interstate go by. And who thinks anyone with less than 10 years out there is "wet behind the ears"

read-on..........

not the slightest bit true.
in fact, most truckers WILL make that and more each week, without having to be gone months at a time. i think those guys in your room were trying to scare you away, hoping for better first out assignments after orientation.

well, 1) you could have asked for the volume to be turned down
2) you could have just gone along with our NATIONAL ANTHEM
3) what's wrong with being proud to be american...?? maybe the owner of the company, or the bus driver is "super-patriotic".....??
4) i hope you ARE NOT a foreinger, if so, get out of MY COUNTRY

you need to explain this, as you left us in the dark on your reason, or lack of them

then, you were never in the military (neither was i), but any instructor has an awesome responsibility each day for your training, safety to everyone, and proper teaching. if any instructor were to slack off or do a crap job, what learning would you have done...??

You sure seem to be the military professional type where the haircut issue is concerned. Incedentally, I was in the military. But I am not brainwashed into thinking all guys have to have the perfect Ken Doll - GI Joe Haircut. Some guys with short hair look worse than some guys with long hair.

ok.........if YOU, the original writer of this thread, have short hair, then why would you be complaining about this....??

however, i am of the thinking that YOU have long hair, and think that NO COMPANY should have a dress code requirement...

well guess what, a famous baseball player (Johnny Damon) from the Boston Red Sox, had long hair and a beard when he was with the sox.

he then went to the New York Yankee's..........

guess what..........the NY Yankess' HAVE A DRESS CODE....NO BEARDS..NO LONG HAIR.....NO FACIAL HAIR.....

Johnny cleaned up.........heck, if he can "clean up" for the millions of dollars he gets, you could have cleaned up the thousands of dollars you WERE GOING TO GET.............

Duhhh, should it not be the other way around?!?! As in: If a person can "clean up" for the thousands of dollars he gets, you can clean up for the millions you could get.

i think you are a case of sour-grapes.

i think that those guys in your room scared you right out of a very good paying job.

i think that from reading your thread YOU ARE A NEWBIE, and YOU THINK the world owes YOU SOMETHING..

I believe that I (as in the proper Noun which denotes YOU) should be capitalized. Some folks have a legitimate gripe and have the right to be a bunch of "sour grapes", just as I do, and am.

well guess what, you want a good job, you gotta earn it. if it means you gotta shave and get a short haircut, than DO IT.....!!

As long as the job is in fact GOOD, and pays PROFESSIONALLY with NORMAL hours, THEN (not THAN) yes, sure get the haircut. When in a rig 99% of the time, who are you trying to impress? And who are you trying to fool about how lucritive the job is for 90% (or more) drivers out there?

sounds to me like you're the type of driver that i'll be smelling while i wait in line for the cashier, because you don't like to shower either..............

be carefull.............if you go to those other companies...........showers ARE required by the driver-trainers.............:banana1:

So you think you know so much about Swift and Werner mister pro? I have been with both of those screwed up companies. Have you? I just bet you were the pride of those companies. I have seen too many of their trainers who in fact DO NOT shower, and get bent out of shape when the TRAINEE wants to stop for a shower.

This is my game of telling some of you that you seem to know all about everyone and everything. And you don't. Drivers have gripes whether the fault of their own or not. But that gives no one the right to chastize them like they are some kid who does not know any better. Maybe this guy made a mistake by reading too much into what was said to him, but that's his mistake. If you can't criticize constructively and simply point out where he was mistaken in a civil manner, keep your mouth shut. Another thing I hate about wanna be execs and professionals.

I don't even need to hear from mister pro. You'll be ignored.

I forgot one thing: Most of us do NOT think the world owes us a living. But a lot of us have had too much taken away arbitrarily. That's why we tend to be "sour grapes".

I dont blame u one bit for taking that truck back to tmc....i have repeatedly lost my wknd visits with my daughter becasue of the crap star transportaion has pulled on me...i am now looking for employment and hope to be outta here by dec.

Shiver.
Going into classes in a couple of weeks, and TMC is one of the companies I'll be pimped to. Werner is another. Shrug.
Gotta get your wheels wet somehow to get started I guess.
I frankly wouldn't care if the Star Spangled Banner and the National Anthem were blasted on the bus on the way to classes. Fine with me. I'll even stand up, providing the bus isn't moving.
Already have short hair and trim my cookie duster.
All that concerns me is how well you're trained, how often you get to get clean, and if I get along with the OTR trainer. Then of course the pay, insurance, dispatch treatment and per diem etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread