Best way to get own Authority

jiggie

I own 3 trucks and am running under someone elses authority right now. Was wanting to get me own authority and was wondering what the best way to go about it.

Pretty sure you can go to the FED.GOV site and print out the forms, think you need to deliver them in person like the first time 2290. I see a lot of advertisements for people who will do it for you but I doubt if they do it for free.

I just did. Got MC # March 19, 2011, and became active April 8, 2011. The places online that charge you everything (like $1,000 give or take) take 5-7 weeks. Cost me $300 for authority, $80 UCR ($76+$4 local county fee), Ifta was $10 (+1 per truck), $25 BOC-3 processor plus actual plates (those companies dont do your plates). So yeah doing myself saved much time and money.

i preferred ooida because they know what they are doing
and you don't have to worry about missing something
one thing about your own authority
you are alone
and you may think you know the rules until you get audited
and you will get audited in about 6 months
driver qualification file (you have to have a file on your driver including letters to previous employer if you ever failed drug test etc)
its a very specific file
if you are the driver there must be a file on yourself

you must belong to random program

also you need a big giant Fleet Safety manual from jj keller
it costs a hundred bucks
its not mandatory but you need to know the rules

They will get your #'s immediately but takes awhile to actually become active. If not active #'s are pointless. You can do same thing yourself but save money. Once you obtain your MC # you will be put on FMCSA register within a week for protest for 10 days. This is so if you have been bad before people can protest your new authority. Mine became acive at 20 days. I know GLauthority.com tells you 5-7 weeks. There are steps you have to do though before you get active. You have to have to BOC-3 on file (usually can do for $25 if thru agent), qualifying insurance sent to FMCSA from you insurance. They have to do it, FMCSA will not accept directly from carrier. You can go online and do MCS-150 easily and quickly. UCR can be done online also for nominal fee (will be same if snail mail, depends on # of trucks you have). You can get IFTA forms online and fill out, an AUD-29 has to accompany that. My IRP account was made at IRP office when I got my plates. You can also get your apportioned plate applications online so you can have filled out and ready when you go in to IRP office. It cost me $2600 for 2 trucks here in Kansas. Have 40 states, no far northeast or Northwest, no Mexico or Canada on mine. I also have mine tagged in Kansas to 85,500 so that bumps in all state to max weight which ups cost. I know I am forgetting stuff but it's early, lol.

BTW if you are flatbedding in Kansas area I can get you pretty decent paying loads going to Texas or Colorado. CO not as many, TX is plentiful. I pay (Im car crusher too) $45/ton to goto Midlothian TX (Dallas suburb), thats $1,125 on 24 ton load. You get paid thru my car broker (they pay exactly what I say) and they pay anyway you like. Comcheck, bank wire, whatever works, and do immediately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread