Best built exhaust manifold?

mosinee dave

Have to replace exhaust manifold on a series 60 Detroit. Who makes the best one? Making sure I get one that will not be made cheap as in thin or bad reputation. Want a ceramic. Bully dog, full tilt.?

Have to replace exhaust manifold on a series 60 Detroit. Who makes the best one? Making sure I get one that will not be made cheap as in thin or bad reputation. Want a ceramic. Bully dog, full tilt.?
@mndriver

should be of some help, find his thread in (i think) the truck repair sections..???

he just did one...

Bully dog, full tilt and Pittsburgh are all the same manifold.

All are made and shipped from full tilt out of Jackson MN.

I have put a full tilt on both of my trucks, buddy had put one on his 2005 14L and the guy who does our tunes is actually a dealer for full tilt.

Every manifold I'm aware of split at the center section.
IMG_20170425_184609323.jpg

It's considerably better built
IMG_20170425_132501285.jpg

And took about 6 hours to install myself.

IMG_20170425_173404249.jpg

It comes with the turbo studs and gasket. You need to order the manifold gaskets to block.

I bought the full bolt kit and would say get it too. Plan on breaking bolts. Don't waste your money on the spacers.

That's what happened to the one needing replacing. Center is cracking . She any change in power or mpg
Huge difference in power.

You'll see it in the pyro if you have one. Runs much cooler and you can pull the hills a lot faster.

last trip out, I was making an extra 60-85 miles per day running across I80 from Ohio to Portland.

@JunkYardDog5958 is running this manifold on a 12.7L and I am running it on a 14L.

I didn't put this manifold on expecting power increase or an improved fuel mileage. I put it on because I installed an OEM manifold in 12/14. That manifold was cracked already again in 4/16 and likely a lot earlier. I was tossed on keeping or selling my truck so I just had been putting it off.

I will NEVER go back to an OEM manifold because of this fault. Tuner runs this manifold on a 12.7 series 60 that he drag races. Never had the issues with it that he had with the OEM manifolds.

That's what happened to the one needing replacing. Center is cracking . She any change in power or mpg

A high flow muffler to go along with the manifold is a great combo for this.

Air flow, air flow, air flow

Large turbo and quality/clean air filter to complete the process.

And yes, air filter brand matters. Had my mine replaced a couple months ago during routine maintenance. The new one was more restrictive than the Donaldson that they took out. Probably go with a fleet air filter next, but being a glider, this enormous filter housing I have in this t660 already opens up the air flow quite a bit.

Opening up the intake and exhaust makes for nice gains in performance and economy on a non emissions engine. Pays for itself quickly.

I run this muffler. I always forget about it. Installed it back in 2013 when I had the power divider replaced.

As I understand it, it's the same muffler that Pittsburg power sells, just not labelled PP. And it's considerably less money.

There are no baffles in it. Straight through design.

Round Muffler 5", M100463, Donaldson

Last edited:
I like it.

Sits behind my cab so I can't tell.

Others have told me it sounds sweet.

I know when you hit the Jake in a tunnel, everyone knows it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread