Benefits of ATF in Diesel Fuel

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Put a gallon of atf in the ole Detroit today. Running much smoother at idle and got about 0.3 mpg better running from Minnesota to rapid city SD. Last time I did that run I was around 6.0 mpg. Today's pump figured out at 6.4 mpg.

Put a gallon of atf in the ole Detroit today. Running much smoother at idle and got about 0.3 mpg better running from Minnesota to rapid city SD. Last time I did that run I was around 6.0 mpg. Today's pump figured out at 6.4 mpg.
Not to be a negative nelly but where both of those on the same fuel blend?

I come home from Chicago and I normally stop at Sparta.

The last time I stopped there for fuel and then came West was in early Dec.

Was it the same fuel blend, I doubt it.

I just know I've been having a rough idle lately and it doesn't show now. Starting seems to be a tad better as well.

Cool And it may very well be a benefit. But when you posted that , my question popped into my head. We are changing blends right now and needs to be considered when evaluating any MPG changes.

A state tax authority finds red fuel in your commercial fuel tanks is gonna require a whole bunch of 'splaining. "I put ATF in there," is the usual dodge I'm told.

And I would simply step out of my truck with my caterpillar SOS test bottle pull a fuel sample smile and say have a nice day.

The test sample would show that it is ATF and not dye

That's not the way it works... they hand you a bill, and you have to contest it in court.

That's fine.

The judge can toss it then based off the fact the spectroscopy came back declaring it atf.

THAT is called due process.

Dyed fuel is beat juice red. 1:150 (1 gallon in 150 gallons) is going to be a slightly pink tinge. Show them the empty gallons and they probably don't flinch. Just complain about new diesel, and the man screwing over everyone with the EPA, bitch a little.......They will probably join in ;)

Yeah. Even less.
The truck I drive would be 1:300.

And that's only if a whole gallon is dumped in.

Once a week I split a quart between the two tanks.

So it's 1:1200 on Monday afternoon and then 1:2400 on Wednesday when I put about 150 gallons in,...

I think ya'd be better off drainin' some goop outta the KFC grease trap 'n burnin' that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread