• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Barr-Nunn is inhuman

Cheezedawg

Barr-Nunn is the most inhuman company I have ever worked for. Let me tell you my story.

I had a heart attack while on the job. I finished my load and went home because I thought it was just an infection. After going to hospital and finding out I was having a heart attack, I called to let my boss know. The doctor told me it would be four weeks before I could drive again.

Instead of letting me heal and come back to work, they told me I had 14 days to get back in my truck or I would be terminated. I asked for FMLA but because I had only been a company driver with them for 9 months, they told me no. In 14 days I was termed and someone came to get my truck. I asked for other work at the company until I could drive again but was denied. I reapplied to Barr-Nunn after the doctor released me and they told me they would not rehire me even though I had never been late or been in any accidents. On top of that, they sent me a bill instead of a last check. apparently they charged me 500 dollars for picking up their truck. Last but not least, they fought my Unemployment Claim saying that I "quit" and was not fired.

So now I'm swamped with medical bills, unemployed and in debt to a company I worked hard for as a company driver and as an owner-operator. A sad end for guy who worked during a heart attack to get their load to Baltimore on time.

You can dispute and receive unemployment, I'm sure you kept records.
I'd call an report them to d.o.t. also since they threaten you with your job befor the dr. had released you to go back to work.

Barr-Nunn is the most inhuman company I have ever worked for. Let me tell you my story.

I had a heart attack while on the job. I finished my load and went home because I thought it was just an infection. After going to hospital and finding out I was having a heart attack, I called to let my boss know. The doctor told me it would be four weeks before I could drive again.

Instead of letting me heal and come back to work, they told me I had 14 days to get back in my truck or I would be terminated. I asked for FMLA but because I had only been a company driver with them for 9 months, they told me no. In 14 days I was termed and someone came to get my truck. I asked for other work at the company until I could drive again but was denied. I reapplied to Barr-Nunn after the doctor released me and they told me they would not rehire me even though I had never been late or been in any accidents. On top of that, they sent me a bill instead of a last check. apparently they charged me 500 dollars for picking up their truck. Last but not least, they fought my Unemployment Claim saying that I "quit" and was not fired.

So now I'm swamped with medical bills, unemployed and in debt to a company I worked hard for as a company driver and as an owner-operator. A sad end for guy who worked during a heart attack to get their load to Baltimore on time.

Luna's right. Fight for your unemployment, you'll win and at least have some money coming in. There are multiple appeals - don't give up.
Step 2 - Get all documentation from the doctor(s). Whether it was co. insurance or not , whatever you have with dates, no release to go back to work - everything. Keep copies.
Step 3 - Find a lawyer ASAP. They'll work on contingency. No money up front. Not only were you wrongfully terminated but when the lawyer gets done they'll have to give you your job back and/or pay you back pay and punitive damages. (Geez these guys gave a heart patient stress)
Step 4 - Big smile

Luna's right. Fight for your unemployment, you'll win and at least have some money coming in. There are multiple appeals - don't give up.
Step 2 - Get all documentation from the doctor(s). Whether it was co. insurance or not , whatever you have with dates, no release to go back to work - everything. Keep copies.
Step 3 - Find a lawyer ASAP. They'll work on contingency. No money up front. Not only were you wrongfully terminated but when the lawyer gets done they'll have to give you your job back and/or pay you back pay and punitive damages. (Geez these guys gave a heart patient stress)
Step 4 - Big smile

Just curious.

Why do you think he was wrongly terminated?

So sorry you lost your job.FIGHT for unemployment benefits,emotional distress bar nunn has caused you as well as the $500.00.You have a real good case in your favor,YOU'LL WIN.

Next time and hopefully there won't be a next time,but if you have to take time off from work,always request an LOA.What bar nunn did is no surprise.Many companies do things of that sort to their drivers.Roadmedic you sound like you don't believe cheesedawg.If so why don't you give him the benefit of the doubt?You was'nt there,you don't know exactly what happened.I do believe cheesedawg. Some companies are pure evil to the drivers.Especially the ones that are loyal to the company.

Next time and hopefully there won't be a next time,but if you have to take time off from work,always request an LOA.What bar nunn did is no surprise.Many companies do things of that sort to their drivers.Roadmedic you sound like you don't believe cheesedawg.If so why don't you give him the benefit of the doubt?You was'nt there,you don't know exactly what happened.I do believe cheesedawg. Some companies are pure evil to the drivers.Especially the ones that are loyal to the company.

No, you misread. I am only asking why Rebel says he was wrongly dismissed.

This unfortuanate sole, signed a document when he was hired. It clearly states what the company will charge him for coming and getting the truck. He will not see the money.
Do I believe it is right? No.

This unfortuanate sole, signed a document when he was hired. It clearly states what the company will charge him for coming and getting the truck. He will not see the money.
oh i'm sorry thought maybe you were coming up with assumptions.Did'nt know he signed a document.I did'nt see that part on his thread i''ll reread it.

What about the driving rules ?
Should he under medication have drove the truck...........
run into someone and maybe hurt them or worse...........

They had tried to force him to drive that rig under threat of being fired under direct medical orders.
So they countered there own rules and company policy..............

oh i'm sorry thought maybe you were coming up with assumptions.Did'nt know he signed a document.I did'nt see that part on his thread i''ll reread it.

You won't see it. I am aware of the documents companies like these make drivers sign when hired.

Did'nt see anything on his thread where he signed a document although he may have.Cheesedawg take them to small claims court.You won't need a lawyer and they have to come to your city for the trial.I did that with a company I drove for and sued them for 5k and won.Round up all your important paper work.You go to the courthouse and fillout a small claims form a week or so later court house sends you and barnunn a copy when the trial is.Bar-nunn will get scared and reimburse you.They do not want a law suit brought against them and have tv stations interview you.How will that make them look.That happened to me the company I sued got scared.

What about the driving rules ?
Should he under medication have drove the truck...........
run into someone and maybe hurt them or worse...........

They had tried to force him to drive that rig under threat of being fired under direct medical orders.
So they countered there own rules and company policy..............

They never required him to drive.

They told him that if he did not come back to work, he would be terminated. No company would let someone come back to work from a heart attack without a doctors release.

Show me where they did tell him to drive.

Did'nt see anything on his thread where he signed a document although he may have.Cheesedawg take them to small claims court.You won't need a lawyer and they have to come to your city for the trial.I did that with a company I drove for and sued them for 5k and won.Round up all your important paper work.You go to the courthouse and fillout a small claims form a week or so later court house sends you and barnunn a copy when the trial is.Bar-nunn will get scared and reimburse you.They do not want a law suit brought against them and have tv stations interview you.How will that make them look.That happened to me the company I sued got scared.

What will the charge be?

You think I am against him on this and siding with the company. You are wrong.

I am trying to save him time and money and headaches.

So he should have had any Jack know matter who, drive that truck back to the yard in order to be released from being fined.
they fined him $500. for not returning the truck while still under dr.care.
Hire a lawyer.....
and trust me I'm clinching I hate them but you will win..................

So he should have had any Jack know matter who, drive that truck back to the yard in order to be released from being fined.
they fined him $500. for not returning the truck while still under dr.care.
Hire a lawyer.....
and trust me I'm clinching I hate them but you will win..................

I doubt he will stand a chance. I have read the documents and a friend of mine went through this very problem.

Just curious.

Why do you think he was wrongly terminated?

Sorry, had to finish some yardwork before it rained.
I was reading quick, but unless I'm wrong, they fired him while he was under a Dr. care and instruction.
Said heart problem occurred while on the job, not while off work (although that doesn't always matter) And in most states that I know of that's illegal.
And I've lived in the South all my life.
Somebody gets sick or hurt working for you and you get rid of them - not only are you a clod, but you're open for lawsuits.

Sorry, had to finish some yardwork before it rained.
I was reading quick, but unless I'm wrong, they fired him while he was under a Dr. care and instruction.
Said heart problem occurred while on the job, not while off work (although that doesn't always matter) And in most states that I know of that's illegal.
And I've lived in the South all my life.
Somebody gets sick or hurt working for you and you get rid of them - not only are you a clod, but you're open for lawsuits.

Having a heart attack is not considered as an illness or injury from work.

In fact, what if the situation was a little different.
He brought the load through the house and while on the 10 hour break had a heart attack. His heart attack did not happen while employed.

The sad part, the company has no compassion for the driver. They are only interested in the bottom line. A lawsuit would most likely be a waste of time.

Even if true. There are always exceptions and exclusions.
I mean, amputation, coma, heart attack if you drive, you may be unable and even if you are you may be a danger to others.
Companies may give you a line of BS, but i'd bet money with a lawyer, provided he did everything reasonably possible.

Having a heart attack is not considered as an illness or injury from work.

In fact, what if the situation was a little different.
He brought the load through the house and while on the 10 hour break had a heart attack. His heart attack did not happen while employed.

The sad part, the company has no compassion for the driver. They are only interested in the bottom line. A lawsuit would most likely be a waste of time.

It may take a while to find (hour or 2) but I know for a fact that there are many cases where it is and has already been in court and decided.
Like I said, companies will lie to you.
Also hope I never have you for a jury trial,lol.

Even if true. There are always exceptions and exclusions.
I mean, amputation, coma, heart attack if you drive, you may be unable and even if you are you may be a danger to others.
Companies may give you a line of BS, but i'd bet money with a lawyer, provided he did everything reasonably possible.

A friend of mine had told his dispatcher he was going to be home when his son had tonsil surgery. Dispatch informed him it was an everyday surgery and no big deal. The child was 4 years old. He only wanted to be home on Wednesday. He emptied on Monday. They would not dispatch him to any load or to the yard in Kansas City. They told him to clean out the truck and park it. They were sending someone to pick it up. They charged him for them to bring the truck back. Attorney said it was legal and their right. He had signed a document that allowed it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread