• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

At A Crossroad with TMC

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
So I have an opportunity to move to our “elite” Specialized Division here at TMC. If I take the position that means instead of pulling a regular flat I would be pulling 53’ stepdeck, 53’ flat, and Removable Goose Neck (RGN hereafter). 90% of loads would be Over Dimensional. It also means going back to stiring my own box, and learning new equipment. (Never pulled a stepdeck or RGN before) pay has the opportunity to increase but is not a guarantee. But the amount I earn to the truck in five loads in line haul would be done in 1 or 2 pulling equipment. So what do y’all think? Can anyone give me some pros and cons comparing line haul flat freight to rgn/step freight? Should I go for it?

Any replies are appreciated, (to everyone this is posted in general so I could post it as a question thread)

doesn't hurt to get more experience, may make you get job offers that TMC will never match? like working closer to home, more time off?

more money in less hours?

So I have an opportunity to move to our “elite” Specialized Division here at TMC. If I take the position that means instead of pulling a regular flat I would be pulling 53’ stepdeck, 53’ flat, and Removable Goose Neck (RGN hereafter). 90% of loads would be Over Dimensional. It also means going back to stiring my own box, and learning new equipment. (Never pulled a stepdeck or RGN before) pay has the opportunity to increase but is not a guarantee. But the amount I earn to the truck in five loads in line haul would be done in 1 or 2 pulling equipment. So what do y’all think? Can anyone give me some pros and cons comparing line haul flat freight to rgn/step freight? Should I go for it?

Any replies are appreciated, (to everyone this is posted in general so I could post it as a question thread)

You owe it to yourself to challenge yourself. Take it and learn new things. Congrats to you. You must be doing the right things.

I’ve never pulled an RGN, but I can comment on steps. Cut down a winch bar, I’d have to measure but maybe around a foot. Depending on the step, if it’s got sliding axles, the wheel wells are a PITA. You lose winch track and stake pockets. If it’s a closed tandem it’s not as bad. You guys run slow, but even still 17.5” tires have a shorter life expectancy than 22.5” or even 19.5” tires. If your company specs trailers with ramps it opens up options for loading stuff. Load levellers open up options for loading stuff.

It can be a challenge, you still have 53’ of deck, but you might have 11’ up and 42’ downstairs, so it can be more of a jigsaw to piece things together.

If you are pulling a low step, your loads can get tall and stupid in a hurry.

We run 33’ straps for the most part on our steps. I carry a few 40’ straps.
43D76AC1-31CE-4264-A830-6CE2FEF6C734.jpeg8CBE33A0-3405-4B26-8C1C-E6EE42CE6692.jpeg
Two CNC lathes and two generators, plus some random LTL right behind the kick, with my tarps and trailer spare tire.

My vote is go for it, if you have the option of returning to regular flat if you so choose. Stepdeck really isn’t THAT much different than flats, but it gets you out of hauling sticks and bricks for the most part

Your center of loading on a step will be different than a flat. If you have an open spread it’s not usually a concern. Generally your center of load will be closer to the kick.

Good luck!

Niche markets are where you find sanity in trucking. It moves you away from being treated like a commodity.

Just my two cents.

I’ve never pulled an RGN, but I can comment on steps. Cut down a winch bar, I’d have to measure but maybe around a foot. Depending on the step, if it’s got sliding axles, the wheel wells are a PITA. You lose winch track and stake pockets. If it’s a closed tandem it’s not as bad. You guys run slow, but even still 17.5” tires have a shorter life expectancy than 22.5” or even 19.5” tires. If your company specs trailers with ramps it opens up options for loading stuff. Load levellers open up options for loading stuff.

It can be a challenge, you still have 53’ of deck, but you might have 11’ up and 42’ downstairs, so it can be more of a jigsaw to piece things together.

If you are pulling a low step, your loads can get tall and stupid in a hurry.

We run 33’ straps for the most part on our steps. I carry a few 40’ straps.
View attachment 45721View attachment 45722
Two CNC lathes and two generators, plus some random LTL right behind the kick, with my tarps and trailer spare tire.

My vote is go for it, if you have the option of returning to regular flat if you so choose. Stepdeck really isn’t THAT much different than flats, but it gets you out of hauling sticks and bricks for the most part

Your center of loading on a step will be different than a flat. If you have an open spread it’s not usually a concern. Generally your center of load will be closer to the kick.

Good luck!
Most of our step decks are double hump steps that run taller rubber this is a pic of our step deck.
1EE83482-C1FE-4713-B720-64E981B0F72A.jpeg

BC67A8D5-9549-4E8D-BFA0-03CEC652F99B.jpeg

My friend Steve tells me everything has to be loaded in front of the mudflaps and no winches between the wheels. Has to throw lots of 3.5” straps.

Last edited:
I`ve never pulled,step decks,flats or RGN`s but my mind goes to experience
it would get you more experience and ,hopefully,one day will pay off
I figure a more experienced driver is worth more $$
anyway,if you don`t like it,maybe you can go back where you are now
to me it is worth a try

It's a whole other ball game if you like thinking and being challenged. Definitely something you should at least try to expand your skill set. You get treated a lot better at a place that sends or receives machinery than say a shingle plant or steel mill. It would be with much chagrin if I ever did flatbed OTR again.

Some of the headaches though is going over and over different permit provisions for different places or getting routes that make you scratch your head in wonder when you're only 10 wide. Also, think about how much daylight you have in winter. On the bright side you'll find it much easier to find time to wash your truck 3 times a day.

It's a whole other ball game if you like thinking and being challenged. Definitely something you should at least try to expand your skill set. You get treated a lot better at a place that sends or receives machinery than say a shingle plant or steel mill. It would be with much chagrin if I ever did flatbed OTR again.

Some of the headaches though is going over and over different permit provisions for different places or getting routes that make you scratch your head in wonder when you're only 10 wide. Also, think about how much daylight you have in winter. On the bright side you'll find it much easier to find time to wash your truck 3 times a day.
My first USA oversize had me routed stupid through Indiana. There was no way for me to guess or measure a MPH average to figure out where to stop for the night. Also, there’s that time zone change when you hit Michigan. So not only did I not know how far I could push, I didn’t even know what time zone I’d be in to try to calculate when sunset would be. It’s completely different running oversize in the USA than regular flatbed OTR

Do it.

More knowledge and experience is never a bad thing, though I think the “no guarantee” part of the pay going up is dumb. The pay should increase, period.

I didn’t end up pulling the stuff I did by saying “no”.

And you will NOT miss tarping crap and waiting in line at steel places.

Do it.

More knowledge and experience is never a bad thing, though I think the “no guarantee” part of the pay going up is dumb. The pay should increase, period.

I didn’t end up pulling the stuff I did by saying “no”.

And you will NOT miss tarping crap and waiting in line at steel places.
Well like they say it’s on you to make more, you work hard and get it done you’ll make more if you sluff off and get lazy well then maybe not. The potential is there the choice is yours.

My first USA oversize had me routed stupid through Indiana. There was no way for me to guess or measure a MPH average to figure out where to stop for the night. Also, there’s that time zone change when you hit Michigan. So not only did I not know how far I could push, I didn’t even know what time zone I’d be in to try to calculate when sunset would be. It’s completely different running oversize in the USA than regular flatbed OTR
Yeah... you might have to run like the rest of us, and actually crack a RMCA every once in awhile.

Go for it as long as they'll let you switch back, if necessary.

It also means going back to stiring my own box, and learning new equipment. (Never pulled a stepdeck or RGN before)
You sound a little nervous. Don't be. Take that challenge. If your not really wanting to "stiring the box" again, then don't. gl

Last edited:
You sound a little nervous. Don't be. Take that challenge. If your not really wanting to "stiring the box" again, then don't. gl
Stiring my own box is actually a bonus to making the jump, I’m very dissatisfied with the way my current version of auto shift performs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread