As an over the road (OTR) or regional driver, how long do you stay out on the road?

Mike

Question is pretty simple, just wanted to see how long folks were typically staying out on the road these days. There was a time when it was typical for a driver to stay out for over a month, but many companies now try to make it a policy to get drivers home more regularly.

I realize the time can vary from week to week, so just looking for a typical average.

Sometimes I stay out for a month or more....

Last week I was out for 4 days (left Tuesday morning, back Friday at noon)
I generally run east of I-35,but sometimes I'll run out as far as Phoenix, as long as the money's good enough.

It seem though, that these days my trips take about 6 to 10 days on average....Then I sit on my ass at home for a week or two.....or three.....or four.

Your poll didn't have "All of the above" as a choice, so I didn't vote.

Usually I get home one night during the week and then home at the end of the week. Unless I take something longer, Then I will be out 8 or 9 days and then home when I get back.

I noticed that trend too. On the weekend the truck stops are completely dead so I don't mind trucking over the weekend and taking days off during the week.

Pull out Sunday or Monday usually home Thursday or Friday rinse repeat. Maybe a stop at the house once a week depending. I could tonight but would burn hours tomorrow getting to my delivery I can do today so I probably won't stay just grab shower and go.

5-6 days for me. But I picked "1-2 weeks" cuz once in a blue moon I'm out for more than 10 days, ... and bitching at dispatch til they get me home.

Reactions: Tim
Stupid obligations that pop up. If not for all the must be at and must do's, I could stay out here forever. I would be happier and with the HOS I may as well be home to make a reset.

I considered myself a homeless driver. I lived in the truck. I took time off, but only went "home" about 3 times a year to visit with my mom and clean out my junk mail pile.

I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it all the way.

For the past several years, it has been less than a week for me. Home for at least a day on the weekend, and usually once or twice during the week for a 10 hour break or so.

In the coming weeks, that will likely change. How much? I have no idea. Thinking I might be home every other weekend or so.

For the past several years, it has been less than a week for me. Home for at least a day on the weekend, and usually once or twice during the week for a 10 hour break or so.

In the coming weeks, that will likely change. How much? I have no idea. Thinking I might be home every other weekend or so.

FINALLY!

Maria gets a little peace and quiet.....:biglaugh::clap::thumbsup::banana::clapping::thefinger::foreheadslap:

Ditto

I live smack in the middle of a heavily traveled lane so home is ....here tonight, here tomorrow night then gone for 4 or 5 days usually then repeat.

Last edited:
Ditto

I live smack in he middle of a heavily traveled lane so home is ....here tonight, here tomorrow night then gone for 4 or 5 days usually then repeat.
I live in an even better area than you.

But I drive for a company whose closest terminal is 523 miles away. Go figure. :bonk:

I live in an even better area than you.

But I drive for a company whose closest terminal is 523 miles away. Go figure. :bonk:
When you decide you wanna drive 12000 + miles a month I can fix that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread