Are you disgusting?

Sinister

pari animositate
Poll time!

Post here when you see a disgusting driver! Tell us about him or her! Tell us if you are one! Don't worry we won't judge you. And by "we" I mean everyone else on the site. Because I will insult the hell out of you and shame you right into the shower!

Now, for those among us who reek I havesome questions:

Why do you like being that dirty?

Why do you think this is acceptable?

Are you like this all the time, or just on the road? (pretty sure I know the answer to that...)

That's what I want to know. I'm not trying to get you to change your ways, as it really doesn't affect me, but you have to know, nobody really wants to talk to you, or deal with you in any way. We don't want you in the restaraunt, and I don't care how friendly you are, if your hygiene is poor, get away from me. Oh, I'm sure you don't care what other people think, but to some degree in this business, what other people think actually matters.

Okay, so since I've worked at this big company for the last 2 months or so, I've had the misfortune of running into some pretty freaky drivers. I guess a large company is going to have more of them simply because there are more people.

This company has a bunch of guys who for some reason think it's perfectly acceptable to walk around society unbathed, unshaven, greasy, grimy and just plain foul.

This guy I loaded next to Monday in Chicago was so gross I could literally smell him from the next loading bay. When I pulled up, he came over to talk to me, and his hands were totally grotesque. His jeans needed an oil change, his hair was gross, and I think his shirt looked like he'd rolled around with the pigs. This guys' truck wasn't any better either. All I could see was mostly the outside, but as far as I'm concerned, it was totally unacceptable. I saw part of the drivers side windshield on the inside, and I think this guy actually used a squeegee to clean it once. I asked him if he'd ran all weekend or sat, and he said he'd sat in Lake Station all weekend. WHY DIDN'T HE SHOWER ALL WEEKEND? Oh, he wore his cell phone headset the entire time. I'm pretty sure theres a connection between idiocy and cell phone headset all the time wearers. I'm also sure that in the orientation packet that ATS gave us, they said is was unacceptable to look this way. Also, it's probably a real good thing I'm not in charge on anything. I'd give you one warning, and after that you'd be canned.

Personally, I don't understand it. It simply HAS to be uncomfortable to be that gross all the time. Plus, you add the fact that being that dirty increases the chance of getting sick, and your life on the road is that much more miserable.

Take a bath once in a while. Or at least justify why you don't. Because I don't think you can. Come on pigpen! Give us your reasons for being gross!

I take advantage of any shower opportunity I can get, and my truck is cleaned regularly on the inside and outside.

I also have no issues at all with paying for a shower. Just because I shut down for a break at a place where I haven't fueled doesn't mean I am going to be smelly.

That's another thing. In the last few years, I've started itemizing my taxes, and showers are a write off. I think they might even give 100% on them.

I'm a neat freak. When I'm just doing the drive, I do prefer extremely casual, comfortable attire. However, when I gotta' do the load/unload routine I dress up for the occasion, wearing the bosses' uniform, safety garb, etc.

As for keeping clean, about 24 hours without a bath is all I can handle. If I'm not squeaky clean the urge to get that way becomes a distraction. If it's not a good time, or place, to hit the rain-room, I at least give myself a good splash at the restroom sink to tide me over. I keep (and use) a box of Kleenex Splash n' Go at the rate of about a box per week. They help to make the effects of a shower last 24 hours.

So, how is it some companies allow their drivers to use the dash of the truck as garbage can. I can, with accuracy, look at the dash of a truck, and tell the condition of the driver, prior to ever seeing him. Yuck!!

And, some drivers never have clean hands, unless they're gnawing on fried chicken. Something about that chicken grease makes it clean better than Go-Jo...

This thread reminds of a joke... Why do flatbedders wear driving gloves? It keeps the steering wheel clean. :jiggy:

So, how is it some companies allow their drivers to use the dash of the truck as garbage can. I can, with accuracy, look at the dash of a truck, and tell the condition of the driver, prior to ever seeing him. Yuck!!

This simply amazes me. I cannot understand how someone allows so much clutter to end up on the dash.

I have a small notebook that I use to write down mileages where I load, unload, fuel, etc.. (for comic book purposes). Other than that, I have a small leather business card case that I use to keep all of my yearly safety video certifications in for the various plants I go into. Nothing else is allowed on my dash, ever.

and don't get me started on the trucks I drive by that have fast food bags and plastic bottles stacked up near that little window on the passenger door :)

I saw a loving couple today whip into the Pilot. The both looked like the floor of a taxi cab. You could tell neither bothered to wear gloves while strapping and tarping the load of pipe they had on thier equally disgusting freightliner.
They went (waddled) inside the building, and came out over an hour later. My guess is that they were eating Subway. For an hour. Sitting down in public for an hour covered in crap eating Subway.

I'm sure the poor innocent bystanders who simply wanted a double-meat Italian BMT, or cold cut combo will never be the same after the odorous havoc these two managed to wreak on the place.

Then, they came back out looking exactly the same as they had. After well over an hour.

I guess if you're that dirty, it probably gets to a point where it just takes too damn long to get clean, so showering becomes a waste of time. Right? I mean, is that it?

There don't seem to be a lot of grubby fingers coming out of the woodwork to defend the nasties of the world. Maybe they really are ashamed.Well, that's a step anyway...

For those that are too "busy" to shower, there are some body wipes you can find at your local military surplus store. And probably a camping supply store. They are bigger and thicker than the regular wipes. They work.

I used them when running teams and the schedule was too tight to take an hour for a shower.

The thing is, people generally cannot smell their own body odor. By the time you start to smell it yourself, people will be gagging and looking for a quick exit to get away from you. Deodorant does not mask it. It just makes you smell worse.

I guess sinister told all you GREASEBALLS,STOP BEING LAZY AND GET IN THE SHOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I don't know why so many drivers are lazy.I see it far too often.You can smell em from clear on the other side of the truckstop.It takes what 15 minutes for a quick shower.Surely they can find time out of their busy schedule to take a shower.Afterall it's free.Back in the day my trainer would'nt bathe much and when he did I very much doubt he used soap.He'd come out of the shower smelling like a bad case of BO.Finally I had enough and told him in a nice way.That's all it took.You can catch more flys with honey.If I have an issue with someone i'll tell them in a nice professional tone to clean up.

This thread is too funny(actually it's sad it even has to be discussed)
Sinister, I swear I'm not takin a shot at your company here.
A couple of years ago an ex ATS driver shows up for orientation at Keen. I know he's ex ATS cuz he's got his ATS shirt,his ATS ponytail and his ATS know it all asshole attitude.
He was in Carlisle for 4 days...same clothes,same smell.I know for a fact the hotel room he was given has a shower. He sat in that classroom stinkin for the better part of a week cuz he was too damn lazy to shower.
Had I any say in the matter he would have been sent home.

I started Driving OTR in '99 when Showers were aplenty wherever and they were kept A LOT CLEANER than in the last 5 years.

I started using Wet Wipes, you know, for Babies because these are soft and REMOVE the funk.
I've continued to use them when not Driving and I prefer the Unscented option.

I would DAILY use them when say in Winter a shower wasn't needed every day and DAILY in warmer times.
I went along with a George Carlin routine of: Armpits, Arsehole, Crotch and Teeth, however I deleted the Teeth as the Mouth is a separate matter and added FEET.

I carried enough clothing to last 2 weeks before washing and stored the worn/used clothes in a Duffel or equivalent sized bag under the Bunk or simply in an assortment of plastic bags. There was NO funky smell until the bags were opened before applying a wash/rinse/dry cycle.

I rarely wore clothes that were not Shipper/Receiver appropriate unless on a 1500-2000+ mile run depending upon weather and locale.
I ALWAYS wore Steel Toad Boots to a Pick up or Delivery and usually when Fueling, Pre Tripping, and similar necessities.

For the wee bit of Carpeting in a Freightshaker Century I used Carpet Fresh.
I as well used Febreeze on the seats and the Bunk.

I used Industrial Wet Wipes for the Floor and Instrument Panel, Steering Wheel, Doors, Curtains and other sections needing to be cleaned occasionally.

Windex or similar for the Glass, Lights, DOT Reflectors as able to reach from the ground.

NEVER cluttered the Dash as this IS A SIGN of disorganization as seen through the eyes of Coop personnel and an invitation for an Inspection among other exciting adventures.
- - -
I have NEVER nor shall I EVER understand WHY some people prefer to be NASTY and UNKEMPT.
I guess it's an aspect of the way they were raised or they simply do not care and prefer preferential treatment as SLOBS.

If common sense or common courtesy were a consideration by these people, the rest of US would happily appreciate its use.

HERE COMES STINKY:poo:!!
Remember STINKY, Tommy Toilet says to wipe yer arse and that Mr. Hanky is a Cartoon character not to be emulated in Life.

Also for the extremely LAZY and STINKY there are FREE SHOWERS available at some Rest Areas as well as the FREE BATHING facilities behind Truck Stop buildings known as the Restaurant/Cleaning washout section. Usually there is hot and cold water available yet without any privacy and the area is rather greasy and nasty but then y'all SLOBS are used to nasty environments like your trucks so these options for CLEANING UP can only be IMPROVEMENTS for the rest of US.

Thank you for your time!

This thread is too funny(actually it's sad it even has to be discussed)
Sinister, I swear I'm not takin a shot at your company here.
A couple of years ago an ex ATS driver shows up for orientation at Keen. I know he's ex ATS cuz he's got his ATS shirt,his ATS ponytail and his ATS know it all asshole attitude.
He was in Carlisle for 4 days...same clothes,same smell.I know for a fact the hotel room he was given has a shower. He sat in that classroom stinkin for the better part of a week cuz he was too damn lazy to shower.
Had I any say in the matter he would have been sent home.

I started this thread becuase of an ATS driver!

I saw a guy the other day in Manitowoc whose truck I didn't even want parked next to mine! In fact, as I was securing my crane boom, I actually pulled out away from him and across the yard because his trailer turned out to be next to mine!

I have another funny story about a company driver that I ended up following around for a week or so. He kept coming up and talking to me, and I eventually actually told him to go away. he was doing really stupid things like arguing with customers constantly, etc...ANYWAY...

And let's add that to the list! A truck wash for a lease operator costs 40 bucks, and is also a tax deduction. Stop riding around in something that looks like it belongs in a junkyard.

When you check in at orientation at the Days Inn in St. Cloud, they give you a packet which has instructions on what they will and will not tolerate. One of the things they say is that you must be clean, and neatly groomed throughout orientation and (get this...) that you must supply your own hygiene supplies.

To me, I think companies make policies as a reaction to things they've had to deal with in the past, and to prevent problems in the future. That they made this rule means they actually had one (or more) people show up to orientation, refuse to bathe, then when forced to, hit up the company for money to buy soap. Amazing.

Now, regarding the guy I loaded next to in Chicago going to El Paso, I asked my FM mid trip where he was. The reply I got was "Don't know, not my driver. I'll do some digging." I replied, "Never mind, I was just curious because my sense of smell is just now recovering".

You're right. I wouldn't put up with it were I in charge either.

I shower as often as possible if not daily whether at home or OTR. My rig is clean on the inside and gets washed when needed.

I guess we all see the gross, disgusting drivers who are gross and nasty and need their ride to be the same.

My first trainer and I were parked at the customers dock in Detroit back in the day (1995). Well I was in the top bunk and smelled a funk that drove me nuts. So I asked him do you smell that? He replied smell what? I thought it was coming out of the factory. Finally nailed it done to he was the smell. Come to find out his last shower was a week ago and didn't smell anything unusual.

Needless to say I explained to him that a daily or bi daily shower is a must if I am to remain a student of his...

I have been at the terminal for hours now, and haven't seen anyone worth posting about. I'm rather disappointed. Well, there's always tomorrow!

A driver and I was talking about that this morning while waiting to get unloaded.Believe it or not i've seen some pretty nasty looken women as well.For god sakes people if not for yourself then clean up for the customers you pick up and deliver to.They don't like someone checking in that looks like he or she took a bath in a grease and mud pit.

I don't know if this woman I saw smelled at all because I was lucky enough to be in Sinsters truck across the parking lot, but she looked gross. She wobbled out of the truck in her pajamas, and as she is wobbleing across the lot she thought it was just fine to scratch her butt crack. That is gross and something that should be done in private. She just got out of the truck she could have done it in the truck not in public. And why is it ok to wear pajamas in public when you not sick and running to the doctors or for some medicine it is unprofessional. There are many outfits out there, there is no need to wear pajamas!

Best part about that story was that after she scratched her butt crack, her man came around the truck, and she used the same hand to walk with him hand in hand into the truck stop!

I'm sure they both then laid seige to the buffet...with the same unwashed butt crack scratching hands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread