anyone catch the lunar eclipse on Saturday ?

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
I saw on the news Friday night that there would be a lunar eclipse on Saturday . They said it probaly wouldn't be visible in Kansas due to cloud cover . Typical everytime there is one it's not visable from where I am . I woke up Saturday morning around 6 am Kansas time and went to Bosslemans in Salina for fuel for the truck and fuel for the driver (Java) The guy at the fuel desk pointed out the eclipse to me .I have never seen an eclipse lunar or solar in my entire time on this 3 rd rock from the sun .It was Impressive ! One of those things that make you feel like a very small man in a big Universe but in a good way .

I have seen many over the years, and saw a total solar eclipse when I was a boy, in kindergarten.

It is interesting just how many lunar eclipses I have seen since I have lived in the Pacific Northwet since 1969, and it is cloudy so much. The last one that happened a year or two back I took pictures. I'll have to dig them out if I can remember where they are.

I have seen many over the years, and saw a total solar eclipse when I was a boy, in kindergarten.

It is interesting just how many lunar eclipses I have seen since I have lived in the Pacific Northwet since 1969, and it is cloudy so much. The last one that happened a year or two back I took pictures. I'll have to dig them out if I can remember where they are.

Very cool , Like i said I always seem to miss them for one reason or another . There was a solar eclipse when I was a smal boy in school but they kept us all inside for recess That day for fear we would look directly at it . In my mind they should have made preparations and taken us out to see this event , As a learing experiance. But CYA seems to be the policy of school boards and I can't say as I blame them with all the frivolous law suits going around.

The one I saw as a boy they took a box and rigged it so you could see the shadow inside the box, like a pinhole camera. Neat stuff.

The one I saw as a boy they took a box and rigged it so you could see the shadow inside the box, like a pinhole camera. Neat stuff.

There was one visible in IL one day back in the early 90's.

I made a shadowbox for it. But it was just a little round circle of light with a semi-circle missing from it, projected onto the index card opposite the tiny hole. Not all that interesting. So I just grabbed a welding helmet, the kind for arc welding. It was much more interesting that way. But what was more interesting is the eerie yellowish light effect, looking at things on the ground.

I've seen lunar eclipses too. Not very interesting considering it's the earth's shadow on the moon, which is basically the same thing as always, whenever the moon is less than full. It's like watching the moon go from full to crescent then back to full in a short period of time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread