anybody else having fuel quality issues?

Mike

Probably just the wrong place at the wrong time this winter, but I have never had this much trouble with fuel.

I replaced both of my fuel filters last week while I Nevada. I decided to do this mainly because of time interval for the one filter, and davco was just over half full. Davco got replaced since I was already putting the other one in.

Before making it back to Ohio this past week, I got surprised with an engine light and stop engine light while pulling a hill. For whatever reason, I failed to look at the filter while fueling in Effingham. When the light came on, I checked and the Davco was full, and looked nasty. I replaced it, and on the way back from Ohio, I replaced it again. Stopped and picked up 4 more filters just in case.

Right now, pretty sure I got some trash in the lines. Truck is giving me lights and loss of power on hills. Seems to he getting better though, after giving me fits quite a bit to start the day today, it only briefly had problems a couple times in the last 200 miles.

Watching the filter closely, and draining at every stop. Also dumped in a jug of Lucas at my last fill, as advised by KW in Joplin. Hoping this will clear up over the weekend.

I have had to replace the Davco multiple times this winter. Never had this much trouble with fuel, and this PACCAR engine doesn't tolerate any fuel restriction whatsoever.

Well, I got fed up with this problem.

Outside of one fuel filter getting clogged up, I never had another issue with the collecting junk in the filter. I even pulled the 2nd filter from the side of the engine just to be sure, and it was completely clean, nothing had gotten passed the Davco and into that filter. It was out though, so I stuck in an new one anyway.

I then pulled the Davco filter to check the bowl under the filter for any sign of junk. Clean in there. Stuck in a new filter and decided enough is enough. Wasted money on filters, wasted money on additives.

I was in East Peoria, IL. I called a contact I have at Wisconsin Kenworth, he called the Green Bay shop, and 30 minutes later I called into the company to remove my two preassigned loads and deadheaded to Green Bay.

325 mile deadhead, but totally worth it because it means no wait time to get the truck into the shop. Time is money.

Got here yesterday evening. Hung around for a couple hours and walked back toward the Stadium last night to a motel. Back at the shop today, truck will be done this afternoon.

I have a bad pump. They think it was likely the problem all along, going back to when I sit for days in Birmingham to get my truck fixed....twice....

Previously, I mentioned getting a DEF code. No more lights from this, but there were codes stored in the computer for recent issues with this system. Turns out, the after treatment system wasn't processing the exhaust gasses properly. So, I got a big part replaced for that. Just a matter of time before that would have been a big issue for me. It's a section in the exhaust, can't remember what they called it right now. I will find out.

So, barring Armageddon, I will be out of here in a couple hours, and still headed to the house as planned, only with a different load. A load that weights 1/3 what the other load weighed and pays better.

Side note: I have been to this dealership 3 times now, and only yesterday did I realize it was only a couple blocks or so from Lambeau field. If I ended up staying here tonight as well, I would have went to eat supper at Brett Favre's Steakhouse. I opted for the Stadium View Bar and Grille last night for a burger and fries. Felt really strange being in a bar. The 15 minutes or so I spent there waiting on the food made me feel very uncomfortable. Little voice in my head was telling me I didn't belong there, and I wouldn't have been there had there been any other place to get food other than sports bars. And to think, a little over 4 years ago, I would have probably stayed in there for a few hours and dropped way too much money into the place, LOL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread