Any YouTube addicts out there? Post your "must share" videos!

Raycubed

I for one am definitely a YouTube addict, I'll watch at the minimum a handful of videos everyday.

If you think about it YouTube is really quite amazing. Anything you could ever want to see is out there, in the past you'd either have to see it for yourself or rely on still photography.

In a five minute period I can go from watching a bioluminescent tide on the coast of San Diego to watching one of the Worlds largest aircraft carriers performing high speed maneuvers

Here are a few of my "Must Share" YouTube Favorites

Bioluminescent Tide (don't ask why they call it a red tide)

I use to work on a cruise ship. We were in a storm and hit a wave head on. They figured about 60' in height. It bent lots of steel railings all around the front of the ship. All exits to the decks were chained and locked to keep people inside. Lots of elderly people were puking their brains out, got dehydrated, kidneys failing and so on. Captain put the pedal to the metal. The whole ship was vibrating from full throttle. Got into Sydney Australia around 2am. You could see 100 ambulances with their lights on waiting for us.

More then 25% of the people on this 47 day cruise flew home and did not want to get back on ship. We stayed in port for a week while ship was inspected. Sydney is awesome!!!!! Money is real heavy. Bars open 24/7. Down town common is beautiful. Everyone has a picnic on the lawn at lunch time.

I stood out like a sore thumb wearing white socks and sneakers. I had to ask for help when crossing a street. I never knew which way to look. They drive on the wrong side of the road.

Nobody speeds there. Your first speeding ticket is like $1,000. The second one you just lost your license. Maybe someone can correct me. I was told this by a tour guide.

Scuba dived on the Barrier Reef. Very very very scary. Dark over the wall. I know things wanted to come up and eat me.

They drive on the wrong side of the road.

I think it was Racer X 69 who pointed out that all the island nations drive on the wrong side of the road. England, New Zealand, Australia, Japanland, etc. all drive on the wrong side of the road. Something about islands,..

Pics on my web page if you feel like looking.

Steve's Web Page

Nice pictures!

I kinda had a dream of working on a cruise ship for a little while. But living in Nebraska will kinda douse those dreams lol. Not to mention it seems like the big companies don't do their own hiring. They seem to let third party recruiters perform that task....some of which are just out to take your money.

Not to mention with my background I think the only place I'd fit in would be the engine room...What fun is that?? lol Royal Caribbeans entry level engine room position was called "wiper" sounds pretty self explanatory and I'm tired of being covered in oil.

What did you do aboard the ship?

Edited to add: @Skateboard

Oh and I almost forgot, we went on a little 4 day Bahamas cruise (St. Martins etc)

Hit a little rough weather....it was AWESOME. Was siting in the cabin (cheap cabin no windows) watching a rented movie when I'd feel the room slllowly pitch waay up then slowly come back down shuddering the whole way.

I had to go investigate...of course!. Came out on deck to see all of the pools drained and a handful of fellow cruisers out on the deck checking stuff out.

Like SkateBoard had mentioned they had the bow deck of the ship closed for safety...but I also noticed they didn't do a very good job of LATCHING the gate as it was wildly swinging back and forth...So I waited for it to open and slipped through saying to my self "oh the gate was open, I didn't see the sign"

It was a pretty cool experience, there where a few other people up in the bow looking over the edge of the ship watching as the water came within twenty feet of us and then as is plunged back down and the ship started to crest another wave.

The waves were big enough that the "Bulbous Bow" would be completely exposed out of the water. Neat stuff I tell ya!

Sweet vids @dipstick2

I got a good chuckle out of that car dealer clip lol

And I looove the clip of the turbine Indy car wiiiiinding up. Have always loved that sound

What did you do aboard the ship?

I was a dance instructor/ dance host. My cousin was getting married and I was giving her away since her father had passed away. I took a few lessons to learn the fox trot so I didn't look like a complete idiot when I had to dance with her. My dance instructor said same time next week? I said ok. Well, that lasted for 7 years of instruction. She's the cute blonde standing up against the tree.

Debbie knew I liked to go on cruises so she said I should be a dance instructor and get the cruise for free. Well, one thing led to another and I was in on a part time basis. Up until 6 years ago I would get a free cruise in exchange for doing that. Did 57 cruises. I could do whatever I wanted during the day but every night from 7 to 12 I had to put my black or white tux on and do my thing. Needless to say, I got boinked NON STOP.

Funny rules for me and lots of great stories. Sometimes had to take care of special people like Kathy Lee Gifford and Richard Simmons during his Cruise to Lose with 60 fat ladies running around.

I was considered an officer so I got special privileges. I took a class and was licensed to take charge of 1/8 of the muster deck for life boats. This gave the opportunity for a full time officer to take a vacation. You had to have the minimum amount of muster officers.

Some cruises very good. Some not so good. The English ladies were very demanding. Had to have my tux dry cleaned every day. I was sweating bullets non stop and smelled like Channel Number 5 at the end of each night.

Video shot by a "drone" flown into the middle of a fireworks display.

Turn the sound off though, because some lame-ass foreigner is howling some opera crap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread