Any bus drivers turned truckers on here

csh88

I am currently a bus driver and have been thinking of getting into trucking and would like to hear from truckers who use to be bus drivers to get an idea of what I am getting into and any advice you would have for me.

Started otr, Drove school bus early 90's. Did that while going to college. Went back otr for a year then concrete,dump for 3 seasons.

Depends what you want out of it. At least you only have yourself and traffic to worry about otr.

I did it AaF...{A--e about Face}...I was a Trucker turned Coach Driver due to 2 Hip Replacements, after the Op' I wasn't able for the rigors involved in the Daily grind of Truckin'...I loved the Life and the "Solitude" it gave me...our Schedules would not be as hectic as yours and the miles/Kilometers we'd cover would be a Sunday Afternoon Drive compared to yours,but all in all my switch over was not that big a Culture Shock and the biggest change was the clean working conditions and Driving 5* Coaches and staying in 5*Hotels... clean Clothes...Mechanic at the other end of the Mobile/Cellphone in the event of a breakdown,paid a Daily Rate irrespective of what I did and the best of Food and Beds every night...No Boss calling me with impossible Targets to Achieve and my Schedule was my own and big Tips at the end of the Tour...I think you get the idea...:harumph:

Why am I telling you all this...well if you can Imagine the "Total Opposite" to all that,then you will begin to get a hint of what's ahead of you should you decide to switch...you will have to work for your Wage much harder that what your doing now...every Obstacle just seems to be against you whenever your in a hurry,and that's every time...Breakdowns/Late Loads/the List goes on and on and oooonnnn...BUT...you can enjoy the Life if your prepared to work hard at it...I loved it but then I knew nothing better at the time and Ireland is a more Laid-back Country than the US and our Pace is a crawl compared to your walk...Summing it up...Trucking is more Physical...more Demanding...less Satisfying...Erratic Hours...Grumpy Clients...Smelly/Dirty Cargo...Coach Driving...None of the aforementioned...:shift:

The Lads and Ladies on the Forum would be in a better position to give you the many Pieces I have left out...but check it out yourself before you switch or make sure you have a Job to go back to in case it does not suit you...It's not for everyone... best of Luck whatever you decide and keep us updated... :thumbsup:

I drove a bus before getting into trucking. It was not a school bus. It was a bus that transported airline crew to the airport. some fine assed professional airline safety personnel. They also are front line in customer service and serve drinks.
I have no advice I just wanted to post about it. lol

I drove a bus before getting into trucking. It was not a school bus. It was a bus that transported airline crew to the airport. some fine assed professional airline safety personnel. They also are front line in customer service and serve drinks.
I have no advice I just wanted to post about it. lol

You would be in a better position to share your highs and lows with csh88 than I would...only ye can impart the "Real Life" of an American Trucker' and the Daily Problems/Grinds ye face every minute behind the Wheel...remember we all began as Novices and I was one of the lucky one's who got a lot of helpful Tips/Hints from the "Oul' Timers" now I'm passing on my limited Experience in the hope that ye will continue and give other Beginners a "Jump Start"...come on Lads/Lass'es don't give these future Drivers Inferiority Complexes by ignoring their Questions.......OK...I'm a pain in the Butt...we all began in Kindergarden only difference is we all had a Teacher to answer our "Stupid Questions and wipe our Nose" and for these Beginners it's Kindergarden all over again and we're the Teachers...........Lecture over...:clap:

You would be in a better position to share your highs and lows with csh88 than I would...only ye can impart the "Real Life" of an American Trucker' and the Daily Problems/Grinds ye face every minute behind the Wheel...remember we all began as Novices and I was one of the lucky one's who got a lot of helpful Tips/Hints from the "Oul' Timers" now I'm passing on my limited Experience in the hope that ye will continue and give other Beginners a "Jump Start"...come on Lads/Lass'es don't give these future Drivers Inferiority Complexes by ignoring their Questions.......OK...I'm a pain in the Butt...we all began in Kindergarden only difference is we all had a Teacher to answer our "Stupid Questions and wipe our Nose" and for these Beginners it's Kindergarden all over again and we're the Teachers...........Lecture over...:clap:
I have no idea but I think driving coach and staying in nice hotels and eating in sit down restaurants would be better than trucking, If one must be on the road.
My people skills are limited to a max of 20 min at a time then I need a break.
Hey some people are people persons and love the interaction. If the O/P is a people person maybe driving coach is the way to go instead of trucking.

I have no idea but I think driving coach and staying in nice hotels and eating in sit down restaurants would be better than trucking, If one must be on the road.
My people skills are limited to a max of 20 min at a time then I need a break.
Hey some people are people persons and love the interaction. If the O/P is a people person maybe driving coach is the way to go instead of trucking.

When they write about Kissing the Blarney Stone and what follows in Eloquence Terms...I've been told umpteen times I must have swallowed the bloody thing such is my Vocabulary and "Blarney" {Fairy Tales} when I'm in company and get to know the Person/People...but even the good times on Tours {and they are often} many's a time I still wish'ed for the "Alone time" I enjoyed on the Trucks...I could Belch/Fart/play loud Truckin' Music without having to be mindful of annoying others whereas now I've to be careful of what/where/when/how I do anything...You can stick a Uniform on me and call me a Chauffeur but it's really only a covering over my Dungarees cause' I'll always be a "Truckin' Man"...the odd time I still get to deliver a new Cab to some new Customer anywhere in the Country and armed with my Flask/Thermos and Sarnies' {Sandwiches} and CD's I'm as happy as a Fly on Cow Dung...

Maybe we could have a Section for Newbies with FAQ's and oul' Farts who enjoy the interactions could reminisce to their Hearts content...might even catch on...

When they write about Kissing the Blarney Stone and what follows in Eloquence Terms...I've been told umpteen times I must have swallowed the bloody thing such is my Vocabulary and "Blarney" {Fairy Tales} when I'm in company and get to know the Person/People...but even the good times on Tours {and they are often} many's a time I still wish'ed for the "Alone time" I enjoyed on the Trucks...I could Belch/Fart/play loud Truckin' Music without having to be mindful of annoying others whereas now I've to be careful of what/where/when/how I do anything...You can stick a Uniform on me and call me a Chauffeur but it's really only a covering over my Dungarees cause' I'll always be a "Truckin' Man"...the odd time I still get to deliver a new Cab to some new Customer anywhere in the Country and armed with my Flask/Thermos and Sarnies' {Sandwiches} and CD's I'm as happy as a Fly on Cow Dung...

Maybe we could have a Section for Newbies with FAQ's and oul' Farts who enjoy the interactions could reminisce to their Hearts content...might even catch on...
I have GOT to make a trip to Ireland while this man is still kickin'.

Injun...did you know that in 1847 the Choctaw Nation hearing about the Irish Famine and the Starvation taking place in Ireland gathered in Scullyville Oklahoma and raised Funds to the total of $170 {€68,500 in todays money} and donated it to the relief fund... that formed a never-to-be forgotten bond between the 2 Nations and in 1990 Leaders of the Choctaw Nation paid a visit to Castlebar in County Mayo and retraced the footsteps of the Irish Peasants who walked to the Landlords House to plea for help...

In 1992 an Irish Delegation travelled to Oklahoma and walked the "Trail of Tears" to Mississippi retracing the steps the Choctaw Tribe walked in 1831 after having their Land confiscated by the Government...that walk raised $700,000 which was given to various Charities...today both Organizations still keep in touch...Tis' said that during the "Trail of Tears" march Irish Migrants feeling sorry for them gave them Food and whatever other help they could offer...an interesting History to read...

Going back over a few old Threads I came across this one by "Morongabill" June 17th 2014 and after reading it again I think it could be part of the answer to csh88 Question...http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/06/13 tales-of-long-distance-trucker...It's a great read and gives a good insight as to what csh88 can expect...
Speaking of which...I'm sorta Puzzled as to why csh88 has not responded since his/her 1st inquiry ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread