Another Wannabe!

Valjean

Hey All,

I have wanted to drive OTR since I was a kid. 53 now and thinking my time may be running out. I know I may not be cut out for it, but I figure I need to find out soon or never.

Looking at new driver posts here, I have a couple of ideas and interested in experienced responses.

Looks like the big companies' driver schools are in some cases, just CDL mills, and the promise of a job might not be sincere; duh! Assuming I can afford it, would it make sense to go to an independent driver school instead? Recommendations?

Then, assuming a CDL is in hand, what is the best way to get experienced guidance from a veteran driver? Team driving is a possibility, but I have read and heard stories of being teamed with an inexperienced imbecile; blind leading the blind. Is there a way to get work with a veteran driver and earn new driver mileage at the same time for a period, say six months or a year?

Finally, for now, the rotation plans that Schneider, CRST and others are touting that allow 14 to 20 days on and several days off sound great, understanding that the pay wouldn't add up like full time. But are these plans really widely available? I talked with a driver a few weeks ago working two weeks on and one off for Walmart and he said it is great. Anybody else doing this kind of rotation and liking it?

I appreciate any input I can get.

Flatbedpete

Drivers unite
If you have not noticed the complaints we have about poor pay and major increase in fuel you are asking for a real fast ride to bankruptcy. Believe nothing what a company promises from the ones you have listed. You would have to be a senior driver and with the company for years before you get a dedicated run. I have two relatives that work for YRC and the youngest took 3 years before he got a dedicated run. He has a health plan that is through the union and a guaranteed wage is all. I can make in one day what he will make in about two weeks. I have been sitting since April 1st and have no intention on going back to work until all or most of the idiots who keep hauling cheap freight are bust. Then I will come back in with my price and they either pay it or they stick it. I have already seen several small companies close because they would not pay the needed additional price for freight, and I am proud that I was a part of this for the fact these companies use to make record profits and refused to pay detention pay and 100% fuel surcharge if at all. I think if you want to just drive around and see the world, just take your car, go where you want and get a nice motel and enjoy yourself.

Cerberus

In God We Trust
i don't agree. if you want to do it, i say go for it and give it a shot or you'll look back one day wondering what if ? money can still be made out here driving a truck but you have to keep the left door closed and stay out of the truck stops hanging out. put youself on a reasonable weekly budget and put money back for the slow season. go to wally world for the truck food and drinks and have a cooler in the truck, saves alot of money.

the way to go is get the cdl on your own but i don't know your financial status and it is a bit pricey that way. and even though i don't reccommend signing on with a company to get your cdl sometimes we have to do things we don't want to. not a schneider lover/hater but they do have top notch training. got to sign a year contract that i know of. if you do decide to do this just remember the first year really sucks and you'll have to just bite the bullet and get that first year under your belt and keep your nose clean and the possibilities are endless.

Good Luck

Wyatt Earp

If you have not noticed the complaints we have about poor pay and major increase in fuel you are asking for a real fast ride to bankruptcy. Believe nothing what a company promises from the ones you have listed. You would have to be a senior driver and with the company for years before you get a dedicated run. I have two relatives that work for YRC and the youngest took 3 years before he got a dedicated run. He has a health plan that is through the union and a guaranteed wage is all. I can make in one day what he will make in about two weeks. I have been sitting since April 1st and have no intention on going back to work until all or most of the idiots who keep hauling cheap freight are bust. Then I will come back in with my price and they either pay it or they stick it. I have already seen several small companies close because they would not pay the needed additional price for freight, and I am proud that I was a part of this for the fact these companies use to make record profits and refused to pay detention pay and 100% fuel surcharge if at all. I think if you want to just drive around and see the world, just take your car, go where you want and get a nice motel and enjoy yourself.
This is very true!!!! Keep in mind they have slow trucks (cut back even lower now to conserve on fuel) and the miles will not be there like they were a few years ago. But everyone has their own opinions. 1 thing i will say is that i have been in the trucking industry for 28+ years and this is the worst i have ever seen it. This is my Opinion.