And then today this happened.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Eastbound Highway 401 in Mississauga reopens after fatal collision involving 3 transport trucks
It seems like everyday there is a road closure due to a big truck accident. It really sucks because other route option are next to none.
I am not going to post about how speed limiters may have been a factor in this crash because the last time I posted about speed limiters it got deleted.

I had to detour 20 miles north of this, take a slow two lane road east then 25 miles south to get around this today.

It is an ever increasing danger to be on the highways in Ontario. There is no easy quick fix either. I don’t know how many tragic losses of life it takes before someone has enough and comes up with a solution

They were doing some orange barrel stuff around Iowa City a few years ago.

Trucks use right lane...

Every day or two there was a truck rolled over in the right ditch, always in the same spot. And apparently instead of trying to figure out why, they just assumed it's truck driver idiocy.

Well I decided to run the hammer lane instead. There was NO shoulder on the right side there. And a steep drop. Left lane had a concrete divider wall on the left side, no room there either.

Running the hammer lane, I came up to that infamous rollover spot and that concrete wall had a section that intruded into the left lane. I had no choice but to crowd the center line. Had there been a truck beside me in the right lane, he'd have panicked and swerved right, and with nothing but a drop-off there, roll over in the ditch.

My guess was trucks or RVs, any wide vehicle passing a truck in that spot would swerve right and make the passee "flinch".

Problem solved, or at least identified.

I called the boss, because one of the rollovers was one of ours. Told him about my observation. He called some guy he knew at the highway department and the highway department guy had some "engineer" call me. Next time I went through there, that divider wall on the left had been straightened. And as far as I know, there were no more rollovers there. I was going through there every other day at the time too.

Trucks use right lane...

Every day or two there was a truck rolled over in the right ditch, always in the same spot. And apparently instead of trying to figure out why, they just assumed it's truck driver idiocy.

Well I decided to run the hammer lane instead. There was NO shoulder on the right side there. And a steep drop. Left lane had a concrete divider wall on the left side, no room there either.

Running the hammer lane, I came up to that infamous rollover spot and that concrete wall had a section that intruded into the left lane. I had no choice but to crowd the center line. Had there been a truck beside me in the right lane, he'd have panicked and swerved right, and with nothing but a drop-off there, roll over in the ditch.

My guess was trucks or RVs, any wide vehicle passing a truck in that spot would swerve right and make the passee "flinch".

I called the boss, because one of the rollovers was one of ours. Told him about my observation. He called some guy he knew at the highway department and the highway department guy had some "engineer" call me. Next time I went through there, that divider wall on the left had been straightened. And as far as I know, there were no more rollovers there. I was going through there every other day at the time too.
Either flinched or got pushed by the draft. My little day cab gets shoved all the time.

Trucks use right lane...

What part of The Canada is Iowa in? ;)

Trucks use right lane...

Ever run over one of those big orange barrels? At 70 mph?

BBBBOOOOMMMMMM-TTTHHHUNNKK

as it shoots out behind you at traffic following you :cautious:

There was a driver at the terminal I worked out of who dragged one from a construction zone all the way back to the yard under the front bumber of the truck. For 87 miles.

That driver ended up looking for another job.

Years ago, I was driving a cabover with front bumper only between the frame rails. It was late at night, and when the truck in front of me passed an already knocked over barrel, , his draft sucked it right out into the right wheel track. Rather than throw my co-driver out of bed by throwing out the anchor, I caught it with the right steer. It became a very large tiddlywink. Last I saw it, it was still climbing at 45° about 25 feet in the air.

2004. I was a rookie with my trainer. He was asleep of course.

The tunnel in Boston was closed and all traffic was diverted onto urban downtown cobblestone streets that had unrelated orange barrel stuff going on. Emergency detour, not something that was planned out.

Had to make a left turn. Cop was directing traffic. I couldn't make the turn because of orange barrels on the way. I told the cop the only way I could make the turn was to run up on the sidewalk with the front of the truck or I'd hit one of the orange barrels.

Dumbass cop got mad and yelled at me to make the turn and to stay off the sidewalk. I opened the door, to get out and move the barrel and he got all Sgt Hartman and shit.

So I ran over the orange barrel.

It got stuck under the front trailer axle. Cop yelled at me to stop. He crawled under the trailer, grabbed the barrel and threw it into the construction area and yelled "GO ON, GIT!"

Trainer never woke up even with all the yelling. :dunno:

There was a driver at the terminal I worked out of who dragged one from a construction zone all the way back to the yard under the front bumber of the truck. For 87 miles.

That driver ended up looking for another job.

you got me thinkin about a driver here. cooler sitting in the middle of the highway. He figured he would bounce it out of the way with the deer bumper. only problem that damned cooler was just a hair lower then that there gaurd and junked the bumper anyway. I should get a picture of that

I just watched a guy with a moose bumper hit the retaining wall a few times.
Hey, buddy, A moose bumper is to prevent damage, not cause it!:clap:
What ever,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread