Analysis: A new hope for hours of service?

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
One could easily say 2017 kicked off the era of Knock Out Bad Regs. A number of burdensome regulations have been withdrawn or shoved to the back burner in the new age of regulatory reform ushered in by the Trump administration.

More truckers might actually embrace calling 2017 a win if it weren’t for one major nagging regulation barreling toward the industry as of press time. The electronic logging mandate is still set to go into effect on Dec. 18.

full story

bad regs. and over regulation it the problem the government is treating truckers like kindergartners that need to be watched 24 hours a day
Well, in the government defence...you have met swift/knight/rhoel drivers, right? ( No offence @Injun or anyone else who works for those companies that doesn't drive with their head up their 4th point of contact.)

*stares at r3gulator*

you're the company schmuck now, glass houses...
Well, I also can't stand owner operators who's head is too big to fit in their truck either. Mega fleets across the board have unsatisfactory safety. But it's cool. Admin feel free to delete anything I've posted.

Well, I also can't stand owner operators who's head is too big to fit in their truck either. Mega fleets across the board have unsatisfactory safety. But it's cool. Admin feel free to delete anything I've posted.
It only seems that way because they're so large. Proportionally speaking they aren't any worse than the small carriers.

Mega fleets across the board have unsatisfactory safety.

TMC WEBSITE said:
TMC Transportation is the largest privately owned flatbed trucking company in the United States.

What is a megafleet? Do they even matter when they comprise less than 5% of the total market? I am baffled that anyone is surprised or tries to bring up as a point, large fleet safety. The insurance market makes new drivers unhirable save for entities large enough to self insure, and for good reason. Everyones safety record would be crap if the rank and file of entry level trucking didnt get flagged with a yellow S, big red trucks, etc.

Didn't expect you to get so butthurt, jeebus go flog thyself in the bunk or beat up a light pole with your winch bar, bud.

The point is your Swift, Werner, CARE of the world are the ones who make national news when they screw up. They draw the attention of law makes because of their revenue. So when policy is made it's based on the perception of megas, TMC is large. But I wouldn't say we are mega status.

Did you think that O/o comment was about you? I was just making a point. Sorry if you choose to feel convicted. If I had a problem with you. I would contact you.

The point is your Swift, Werner, CARE of the world are the ones who make national news when they screw up. They draw the attention of law makes because of their revenue. So when policy is made it's based on the perception of megas, TMC is large. But I wouldn't say we are mega status.

Did you think that O/o comment was about you? I was just making a point. Sorry if you choose to feel convicted. If I had a problem with you. I would contact you.
I've only ever seen "truck" or "big rig" or "tractor trailer" in the news. Very seldom is the company named.

People like us remember seeing the megas more than the littles because there's a crash photo with the company name all over the truck.

You won't remember yet another random plane jane Volvo or Peterbilt or Freightliner that scores of O/Os or budget companies with little dinky lettering that's smeared in the crash are wrecking.

In other words, what most of us see is the trailer and most of those are just plain white boxes. We only REMEMBER when it has a big logo on it.

I've only ever seen "truck" or "big rig" or "tractor trailer" in the news. Very seldom is the company named.

People like us remember seeing the megas more than the littles because there's a crash photo with the company name all over the truck.

You won't remember yet another random plane jane Volvo or Peterbilt or Freightliner that scores of O/Os or budget companies with little dinky lettering that's smeared in the crash are wrecking.

In other words, what most of us see is the trailer and most of those are just plain white boxes. We only REMEMBER when it has a big logo on it.
Or Elk Grove, Naperville, Carol Stream, Bloomingdale (insert Chicago suburb here)......

That's an inaccurate statement. Lots f companies have been named in the news...but if you think they are writing law based on their impression of average Joe's trucking. You are one of the sheep.

No they are writing law on the rule of averages. And the costs. Every life has a dollar amount, as does every regulation.

Kind of like the yellow poles we put up to block out trucks and RVs. They go up when they become less expensive than cleaning up the damage.

The NTSB and FHTSA figure up the proximate cause of severe accidents, and the cost. Then they make recommendations to avoid them.

That is how you get me handicap regs, his regs, drug and alcohol regs etc etc etc.

Proof is in the CSA score.

OK since everyone is bitching about the OBR and all the new regulations that are constantly being pushed upon anyone that drives here is where I ended up when I quit driving.

I was leased to Landstar for 19 years when you pull your contract they basically do an audit/review of your time with them.

the Lady in safety called me [which they don't usually do] and congratulated on the fact that I had "0" CSA points which she informed me was almost unheard of, she when deeper into my file, all the way back when I started and came up with 2 speeding tickets [both in speed traps] 1 "warning" at a level three inspection, a dozen or so minor log book violations a year [most of which were due to the log reader reading my logs wrong,
and that is about it!

I also got three star of quality awards [which at one time was a big deal]
and never missed a safety award
I didn't make a million but a decent living and was able to do it safely

I didn't make the million mile club with them mainly because I went with another company somewhere around year eight and had to start over and also I didn't get a huge amount of miles yearly because I had I few agents that had some very special. high value freight that paid very well I only averaged about 80 thousand miles a year and due to the fact that there was a LOT of dead head involved probably a third or more of my yearly miles were empty miles unless something was going close to where I had to pick up the next load.

the main company I ran for was building Medical research equipment that flew engineers to wherever I took the load and thebengineers over time started to use me to help set up the equipment which usually took 2 -4 days it got to the point that they would send 1 less engineer which saved them a lot of money and paid me 30 bucks and hour to help..

I ma not trying to toot my own horn but to show that you can make a living by using your head and do thing within the framework the government allows !!

that is not saying that I agree with the over regulation that has been going on for many years quite the opposite in fact, you folks that think things are going great are out of your minds, the pay today plain sucks in comparison to what it should be due to inflation,
IMHO drivers starting out should be making AT LEAST a buck a mile and seasoned drivers AT LEAST 2 bucks.

O/o's should at A MINIMUM should be a 5 bucks plus but the companies, brokers. and even the government has been able to make the driving community believe the money isn't there and since you have 3,4,5 or more middlemen [scumbags] taking their cut the money for the trucks isn't there,\
I would hazzard a guess that for every dollar the trucks make a buck and a half goes to the middlemen that are sitting in their easy chairs in pajamas scuffling freight around to their buddies each taking a hefty percentage for their 3 minutes of work.

there is a few that were arounf years ago that remember when a protest against this was started, I know @Mike remembers it and a few were deeply involved and it was gaining traction I even remember the HB it was HB 2290. and was sponsored by Omplia Snow and Jeff Sessions among others.

the brokers were scared out of their minds that it would get passed and they would have to show the true price the customers paid which would have gotten them tarred and feathered it the driving public knew the extent of how they were getting screwed.

what the Brokers did was come together big time and put pressure on the elected officials to quash the bill,
While the driving public talked the talk just not of them were able to walk the walk, and that was the last time the driving public even tried to come together to do anything to right the wrongs that they endure!!!

I quit driving due to health reasons and in the end I probably happened at the right time!

while it doesn't effect me anymore I still wish the Driving public would wake up to the fact of what is being done to them and take action to right the wrongs, but honestly I might as well be whistling Dixie

the Brokers came to

Last edited:
Let's start with CSA is bullshit.

Prove your statement.
What the **** ever man. Csa is based on tickets and accidents. I can't get better proof than that. You wanna start some shit fine but seriously when you compare a company who's csa score is well over 60. To average Joe's trucking which is less than 20. That proves it. And I think @gearjammer made the point. I don't feel there is any argument left. And I'm done discussing it. You wanna say anything used as proof is bullshit..well. maybe you just got a bad attitude toward life. Maybe that statement is wrong as well. I'm willing to learn from someone. People talk about old hands. And how they could learn something. Well maybe if you old hands would stop being cynical and teach people a thing or two without everything being better yesterday and how guys who haven't been driving 30+ years just don't have a clue. Maybe someone would stop and listen. But when you start disrespect you get disrespect. I'm out. *Mic drop*

What the **** ever man. Csa is based on tickets and accidents. I can't get better proof than that. You wanna start some **** fine but seriously when you compare a company who's csa score is well over 60. To average Joe's trucking which is less than 20. That proves it. And I think @gearjammer made the point. I don't feel there is any argument left. And I'm done discussing it. You wanna say anything used as proof is bullshit..well. maybe you just got a bad attitude toward life. Maybe that statement is wrong as well. I'm willing to learn from someone. People talk about old hands. And how they could learn something. Well maybe if you old hands would stop being cynical and teach people a thing or two without everything being better yesterday and how guys who haven't been driving 30+ years just don't have a clue. Maybe someone would stop and listen. But when you start disrespect you get disrespect. I'm out. *Mic drop*
No you made a generic bullshit statement, and threw it out there with no facts to support it.

Now you throw a bunch of crap back, and expect to let it go at that. Kills your credibility dude.

Every last one of us - except for you being a newb - watched the farce of CSA put together. It measures nothing. Exactly how does not annotating the mile marker of where you pulled over to **** in your logbook relate to safety? That's what CSA purports is a measure of "safety."

All I want is you to justify your bullshit statement that all large carriers are unsafe simply because they are large motor carriers. Whose corollary is all small carriers are safe because they're not large.

That's bullshit and you know it.

No you made a generic bullshit statement, and threw it out there with no facts to support it.

Now you throw a bunch of crap back, and expect to let it go at that. Kills your credibility dude.

Every last one of us - except for you being a newb - watched the farce of CSA put together. It measures nothing. Exactly how does not annotating the mile marker of where you pulled over to **** in your logbook relate to safety? That's what CSA purports is a measure of "safety."

All I want is you to justify your bullshit statement that all large carriers are unsafe simply because they are large motor carriers. Whose corollary is all small carriers are safe because they're not large.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Well that's what I based my argument off of. Run legal and don't cause a wreck. Your CSA score stays 0. I didn't create the system. I wasn't a driver when the system was created. I was busy trying to keep folks on the road or in the military. So sorry I couldn't be a part of that. I have been around this industry since I was a kid. I'm a 4th generation driver. Just because I wasn't an operator doesn't mean I'm clueless to how it used to be.

I get what you're saying. But just because you don't like something doesn't make it not law. And it's what we have to deal with.

So if I am miss informed by what is being tracked. My apologies. Maybe the system was rigged.

But hey, now that you have an ELD you don't have to worry about that mile post you took a shit at.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread