All BS aside...

Greenhorn95

Ive been doing ALOT of reading on yalls site, "btw job well done" and for a fella interested in starting a new career in trucking, its pretty difficult to narrow down the good companys from the bad. From a rookie standpoint that is. I realize that everyone from time to time gets their cheerios pissed in without asking for it, but lets face it...thats life!

So heres what Im after and asking straight up help with. Im looking for a company that will train and pay, has a reputable reputation, treats drivers with respect. $36,000 a year with benefits and can expect to land a local route/home every night after the first 3-4 months of training.

If so and I can only hope that theres more than 1, please let me know. Im ready to make the transition asap. Btw, I live in the Louisville, Ky. area.

Many Thanks:beer:

Ive been doing ALOT of reading on yalls site, "btw job well done" and for a fella interested in starting a new career in trucking, its pretty difficult to narrow down the good companys from the bad. From a rookie standpoint that is. I realize that everyone from time to time gets their cheerios pissed in without asking for it, but lets face it...thats life!

So heres what Im after and asking straight up help with. Im looking for a company that will train and pay, has a reputable reputation, treats drivers with respect. $36,000 a year with benefits and can expect to land a local route/home every night after the first 3-4 months of training.

If so and I can only hope that theres more than 1, please let me know. Im ready to make the transition asap. Btw, I live in the Louisville, Ky. area.

Many Thanks:beer:
The 36000 a year with benefits is possible, the 3 to 4 months OTR and then local might be questionable, but anything is possible

I am not going to say it is not possible, just that after 20+ years I have never seen it. Sorry I could not be more help

Welcome to the forums

we all want what youre asking for but unfortunately theyre few and far between good training companies are hard to find alot of students leave the company because of how they were treated and then some choose to leave because they failed oh u can make 36 k easy a year but not the first yr youll make anywhere from 25 to 30 k the more exp means better pay and company i hated the first yr well actually the first 2 yrs because i stayed with 1 company in hopes it would get better but got far worse finally i had enough youll go thru the same thing we all do
Posted via Mobile Device

Good luck..and Please let us know when you find One..
When Ironman started we paid for the school and than he started making 22 cents per mile..driving appr 2500 per week..that was grooss and No benefits..and no it wasn't 100 years ago..:(

This is funny, it seems like all these 9-5 white collar guys are wanting the same thing like they had with trucking. Trucking isn't some 9-5 job where you can pick and choose where you want to run or stop and start driving when you want. Trucking is a 24/7 365 day LIFESTYLE! I wish these newbies would get it through their head. No wonder why so many don't last!

Larry, not sure who your calling a 9-5white collar. BUT...Ive already done my time working for 14hrs a day 6days a week in construction and steel fabrication. Not sitting on my wide load jerkin off to passerbys wives and teenage daughters or stopping at every truck stop looking for a cheeseburger.

24/7 365days....yeah okay, maybe if your a loser with no life or family.

Sorry to the rest of ya for venting, but this is exactly the type of reply I dont care to recieve.

Larry, not sure who your calling a 9-5white collar. BUT...Ive already done my time working for 14hrs a day 6days a week in construction and steel fabrication. Not sitting on my wide load jerkin off to passerbys wives and teenage daughters or stopping at every truck stop looking for a cheeseburger.

Sorry to the rest of ya for venting, but this is exactly the type of reply I dont care to recieve.

I wasn't referring to you, I was just referring to the flood of white collar workers looking for work because they need a job. Actually trucking is a 24/7 365 lifestyle, even if your married or not. If those wheels ain't turning your not making money and if you own your own truck it's really a 24/7/365 lifestyle cause you spend your weekends working on the truck getting it ready for the next week. Trucking is a never ending lifestyle!

So why are you looking to join the trucking industry?
I would say 9 out of 10 have a life and family.
They bust there ass to make a living, if your looking at them as a loser you should give up now you wont make it................

I am not here to cause arguements with anyone, but I can tell you the 14 hour days in the construction industry, like any other industry, is a whole different animal then the trucking industry. Honestly if your comments hold truth in the aspect to how you look upon other professionals in this industry. It would be better for all concerned that you remain in the industry to that you actually have knowledge of. Because entering this industry with the aspects and attitude you carry in this thread you will not last long.

From the start of your thread it would appear that you have already drawed the conclusion to that driving a truck is nothing and right so. But there has been many before you with the same aspects and then will be many after you. If it was an easy non sacraficing career, everybody would be doing it and the industry would not be ranked one of the top for driver turn over

My apologies to all, especially Larry. I dont view truckers in any way mentioned above, it actually took me awhile to think of that response. I took Larrys response as an attack, and will not stand for someone calling me a white collar.

Now back to the topic....I know of a few fellas making really good money driving a truck, one is with Con-Way, another with Miller Lite, and another with Pepsi. These guys are home every night and not working 7days a week. Driving a truck is something Ive always wanted to do, but never had the balls to make it happen, now Im ready. Just asking for advice.

Thanks

My apologies to all, especially Larry. I dont view truckers in any way mentioned above, it actually took me awhile to think of that response. I took Larrys response as an attack, and will not stand for someone calling me a white collar.

Now back to the topic....I know of a few fellas making really good money driving a truck, one is with Con-Way, another with Miller Lite, and another with Pepsi. These guys are home every night and not working 7days a week. Driving a truck is something Ive always wanted to do, but never had the balls to make it happen, now Im ready. Just asking for advice.

Thanks
How much time did those guy put in to get those jobs? The industry has changed a lot in the last 2 years or so. A lot of long time drivers have been laid off or are out of work. The list of people with experience wanting jobs like that is very long. The possibility of a new driver landing a home daily job that pays worth a damn is almost none.

I don't know about Con-Way or Miller, but I can speak for Pepsi being that I run a dedicated account for them. They have drivers laid off at most plants around the country so you can forget about them!

As for good and bad companies...well, there's one thing I've found in the time I've worked this industry, only you can pick the company for you! I say that because they all do the same basic job, drive! They offer the same basic package most every where. Some pay a few more cent, some have a insurance plan that pays a little better, some have better home time...It's all a give a take. You need to get a list of the ones you are considering and look over the package from all of them and pick the one that's right for you!

This is funny, it seems like all these 9-5 white collar guys are wanting the same thing like they had with trucking. Trucking isn't some 9-5 job where you can pick and choose where you want to run or stop and start driving when you want. Trucking is a 24/7 365 day LIFESTYLE! I wish these newbies would get it through their head. No wonder why so many don't last!

Larry dear why cant u be alittle nicer and not be so quick to judge keep in mind hun you havent even begun to get your cdl and when u do in a few yrs youll be considered a newbie
Posted via Mobile Device

Larry dear why cant u be alittle nicer and not be so quick to judge keep in mind hun you havent even begun to get your cdl and when u do in a few yrs youll be considered a newbie
Posted via Mobile Device
Larry is very much right though...and I blame things like Trick My Truck and Ice Road Truckers for painting such a stupid picture of how things are NOT like out here! We all see it every day out here with the white collar types who get laid off and suddenly think trucking is the answer...that's why turn over rates are at 150% industry wide!

Thanks

U seem like a very nice guy just seeking some honest adviceeverybody wants to make good money in the trucking industry i make decent money every week hasnt been a slow week since i started this company almost 4 months ago but keep in mind ive been driving long haul for 6 yrs it wasnt like this at the beginning its really hard out there especially for new drivers
Posted via Mobile Device

We know someone been with Pepsi over 3 years, still working. I'll ask him when I talk to him to see if they had layoffs. You put alot of hours in and you have to unload and count at each store. They have a heavy back ground ck as most do. You can even look into being a tow truck drive but some shifts are on call all night. Lots of driving jobs that are not in a big truck, Also hot shot cars sad to say are moving from the auction with that you might find something tri-state and not be out to long. at least home on part of the week-end.
Alot of intra state drivers r back on the road because the loads and the money are not there anymore.

Larry is very much right though...and I blame things like Trick My Truck and Ice Road Truckers for painting such a stupid picture of how things are NOT like out here! We all see it every day out here with the white collar types who get laid off and suddenly think trucking is the answer...that's why turn over rates are at 150% industry wide!
Your right and driving was offered to them through Gov. programs. They came into this thinking the wheels are your office. Most don't make it others find it a escape from family drama and they find that they are not married anymore.
Times are hard................And the money for the most part is bad you'll find that making a check for home and living on the truck well as Reb says do the math........
O.B.W. one of the programs is called pell grant you don't have to pay it back.

oh i know the construction field like otr driving i did construction 3 yrs hauling dirt paving roads my personal favorite and removing houses u do put in alot of hrs and makes more the otr driving but no social life u get home shower eat and go to bed those workers work hard well some do but most i see stand around playing pocket pool i did like construction but thats seasonal and no work if it rains so i chose otr
Posted via Mobile Device

This isn't nearly as hard as you all are making it. :)

If the guy wants to go local after being out on the road for a while it is doable, depending on where he lives. You simply have to get on with those companies that are near you, and keep waiting for a local job. Might not happen in 3-4 months, but in time an opening will show up.

Pay close attention to the companies that are close to you. If they have fairly large terminals, it is likely there is enough turnover that local or line-haul jobs will come open within a year of you going to work there. I had this opportunity a long time back with a large company, but it was a little farther than I wanted to drive back and for everyday (on top of a 12 hour driving shift), and the pay compared to what I was making OTR was way too low.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread