Air Dryer Question

Shares with the engine.

Pull the head before opening up the air dryer? Seriously? If there isn't anything wrong with the head gasket before pulling the head, there certainly will be after.

Pull the head cover and check for carbon around the valves. Last time I remember, the valves open up directly into the cylinders, so you can get an idea what's going on inside them. Be a good time to run a routine overhead.

If you suspect the head gasket is blown, there are far less costly and invasive ways to figure that out than pulling the head.

Wow.

*walks away shaking head and mumbling*
...pull the head......

Thass fine, but the only way to definitely know where the oil is coming from is to pop the compressor head off and look at the piston tops and cylinder walls. Same as any engine. Likewise the head gasket will be "visibly" blown and/or there will be a "carbon track" on the mating surfaces of the compressor head and the compressor body. Hard to explain unless you've actually done it before. :dunno:

As for the dryer, it does have a piston... of sorts (more of a check valve) that releases the pressure. I've never had a dryer apart so you're on your own there. But you will have to clean that junk out. Might be cheaper to get a rebuilt.... depends on how much you value your labor at. :D

And yes hammer, you can pull your other head if you want. :roflmao:

Thass fine, but the only way to definitely know where the oil is coming from is to pop the compressor head off and look at the piston tops and cylinder walls. Same as any engine. Likewise the head gasket will be "visibly" blown and/or there will be a "carbon track" on the mating surfaces of the compressor head and the compressor body. Hard to explain unless you've actually done it before. :dunno:

As for the dryer, it does have a piston... of sorts (more of a check valve) that releases the pressure. I've never had a dryer apart so you're on your own there. But you will have to clean that junk out. Might be cheaper to get a rebuilt.... depends on how much you value your labor at. :D

And yes hammer, you can pull your other head if you want. :roflmao:

*Points at the native chick* She started it, how come I go under the bus?!?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread