Accident

Akita27

So I heard if a trucker gets into an accident and he is not at fault he still gets a violation.

Is this true? And if yes, has anyone taken this in court and won?

An inspection is done after an accident but no violations unless they find something.

You're probably thinking about CSA. It's not a "violation" just a record that you were involved in an accident, regardless of fault. It looks bad only to people who are ignorant of the fact that it includes all accidents regardless of who caused it.

So I heard if a trucker gets into an accident and he is not at fault he still gets a violation.

Is this true? And if yes, has anyone taken this in court and won?
cops could have found a light out, which would have been an equipment violation, that may not have led to the crash, if the other driver (say) ran a red light.. there is a civil lawsuit the driver may face. people are always looking for money.

An inspection is done after an accident but no violations unless they find something.

You're probably thinking about CSA. It's not a "violation" just a record that you were involved in an accident, regardless of fault. It looks bad only to people who are ignorant of the fact that it includes all accidents regardless of who caused it.

I never had an inspection, Level 1 or Level 3, after my accident.

As an individual, nothing was reported on me.

As a motor carrier, my company now has an accident on my CSA score. Even though the responsible party for the accident was another person.

It will depend on three things though to be classified as an accident.

1. was a wrecker needed to remove a vehicle from the scene? (hook)
  2. Was there a fatality? (hearse)
  3. was there an ambulance that was needed to transport a person for medical care? (nurse)
The severity will be based on one of those three answers with the fatality having the greatest severity.

An accident on a CSA record though does NOT disclose fault. It just says that there was an accident you were involved in. Nothing more. It's also blocked from public view in the CSA (SMS) reports.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread