A TTW Moment, or, Ouch That Hurt...

2xR

******* Derelict *******
I just finished painting our guest room. Part of the project is to replace the electrical outlets, wall switch, and, an overhead light. I'm fixing it up to sell, or, rent.

So, it came time to do the electrical. Now, I'm comfortable with simple household 110v projects. I know my hot, neutrals, and, grounds. I know how to flip the breakers to turn off the power in the area where I'm working. I have it down pat. Or, so I thought.

The breaker box is out in the laundry room, a fair distance from this bedroom, and, no one is here to tell me when the lights went dark so I'd know which (unlabeled) breaker was the one I wanted. I got the bright idea of plugging in a boom-box and cranking up the volume so that when it went silent, I had the correct breaker. That worked flawlessly, and, I didn't have to keep walking back, and, forth to the breaker box.

There are four wall outlets in this room. I began to work. When I finished the first one I thought I had better plug a lamp into the next outlet to insure it was dead. It was. I finished number two. For some reason I absent mindedly just scooted over to number three, and, began working. You know, I had always thought being electrocuted would hurt more. It wasn't that bad. Kind of a strange, tingly feeling from the hand, up to the elbow. Of course, I let go rather quickly. Who knows what kind of damage I could have self inflicted if I'd have held on.

After that, I went to my shop, got my multimeter, and, probed every wire I had to touch. I should of had it to start with, but, it is a cold, rainy day, and, I thought I could get by without it. Dayum...

I think this one takes the cake, See the problem is most of you guy's r not around the house enough to know that some plugs work off wall switch's.
A very good way to test this theory is a vacume.........lol
Glad only ur pride got hurt..........

I did something similar a few years back.I flipped the breaker fer the master b/r-bathroom and went to work not knowing the outlet next to the sink was on a different circuit.I got a hold of the hot wire and got the tingly feeling you described and,as a bonus, my left knee was spasming (that's not even a word) itself into the wall.
'course this was back before I was aware of the term TTW moment!

My wife hung a new kitchen light in the center of our kitchen, and for a long time we'd be standing there talking about something and it would....go out...then come on....then go out....

Other than that she's really good with that stuff.

My wife hung a new kitchen light in the center of our kitchen, and for a long time we'd be standing there talking about something and it would....go out...then come on....then go out....

Other than that she's really good with that stuff.
Ok, Well how did it end?
And your sure it was just the way it was installed?

Beats the hell out of me, I know less about electricity than anyone in this thread so far! LOL.

Except that like 2xR, I know that if you do it wrong...it hurts.

...and I'm allergic to pain.

As my Grandfather would say "did you learn anything"? He usually said that after I did something foolish and was curled up in the fetal position from the pain. Electricity is something I don't mess with

In the words of Fred G. Sanford, "You big dummy!"

I only got "bit" once and learned to always, always, always use a meter.
Just be glad it was AC and not DC.

I was working for an HVAC guy, changing out junction boxes on A/C units on a roof of a commercial building in Orlando years ago.
My boss said he turned off breakers 20-28 and go up and change out the boxes.
So I did.
Halfway thru the first one I got bit by 220v.
I stormed off the roof and said, "Where's your meter and where's the breaker box!?"

He asked me what was wrong 3 times and all I did was repeat myself.

The breaker had been mislabeled.

Never, ever again will I take anyone's word instead of checking for myself.

The scary thing is, I learned in electrician's class that sometimes you HAVE to work on it live, like in ICU wards at hospitals and such.
Not me, though.

Poor 2xR...That truely sounds like something I would do...lol.....I've only replace 2 light fixtures in my house and all went well...You gotta watch for plugs to be on different circuits...hahaha.....Glad you survived...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread