A new layout for the forum.

Mike

While this may not seem like much, it has been something that I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Many forums have been removed, but all threads still remain. Over time, on an as needed basis, existing threads will get moved into an more appropriate area.

Our off topic area has been moved to the top. We have our traditional "Layover Tavern" for off topic stuff that has no specific area anywhere else in the forum. This could be trucking related, and if a moderator sees a thread in this area that has a better place, we will move it.

New subforums, which are actually social groups that you must join, have been added to the Layover Tavern.
  • One is "Way Off Topic".
    As you all know, we have rules that we must adhere to on the forum. Sometimes though, a topic may not fall into the rules very well due to complications with our advertisers. In this case, we now have a place for it. Our forum rules do still apply, though very lightly moderated. Once you join the group, you will see the specific rules which you should find very easy to follow. We are using our social groups to create this forum, so in the occasion that we get a member that can't color between the lines we have set up, we can remove them from this group while still allowing access to the rest of the forum.
  • Politics
    We have brought this in, we have taken it out, rinse and repeat about 1000 times. I am going to do my best to keep it around this time, but rules do apply. We don't want it to be a link/meme farm. We are not looking to have people join our forum just to access politics and create chaos. We are using the social group feature to set this up so we can remove members as needed without having to ban them from the forum. We expect adult conversation of important topics, not the typical BS that fills most political groups. There is enough division, we are not looking to add to it here.

Emphasis on Tech.
We have always had forums set up for vehicle manufacturers, but they have been hidden as subforums and not very visible. We have now moved them to a category all their own. In addition, we have set up Engine tech forums, and working on getting set up with trailers as well.

Vendor/Classifieds
We have kept our classifieds area around, as we do have hopes to develop this in the near future. As the community grows, we hope to have product vendors that will be here to provide information and tech support for their products. For now, this area is "read only". As we fine tune our moderation capabilities, we may be able to open these topics up for discussion.

If you see something missing from the community, let us know. You can post here, or contact me privately via the PC feature on the forum. While we can't implement all requests, we do give consideration to them and implement anything that we feel is going to be beneficial to the community.

Finally, if you are a certified tech for any specific manufacturer/engine, etc.., let us know. We value your input in our community threads, and would like to be able to recognize you via a badge or other possibilities within our community.

In the future, depending on member interest, we would like to offer up "blogs" for members. We are currently waiting for the next significant Xenforo software release to see what they offer. If there is an interest, and it is not offered by the software company that we use, we will look for 3rd party options. We feel like many of you have more that you would contribute if it was in a format where it didn't get buried within a public forum. In time, will bring this up to the community to gauge interest.

For those of you who have knowledge that you would like to offer up in a very quality format, we have a very powerful resource section that we are looking to develop. This is very much like an article system, it is geared more for software/documentation releases. It work very well for all. If you are interested in providing content to the community, both free and paid, let us know. Our resource section can be set up to offer both free and paid resources.

For those of you who have knowledge that you would like to offer up in a very quality format, we have a very powerful resource section that we are looking to develop. This is very much like an article system, it is geared more for software/documentation releases. It work very well for all. If you are interested in providing content to the community, both free and paid, let us know. Our resource section can be set up to offer both free and paid resources.

My question is if i have a PDF file of a manual on a specific truck, trucks, engine or trailer and or Pump as an example. I realize some of these PDF files can get to be very large. With out having to pay for a copy from a link location, I have in other sites posted links to a download which turned out to be killed or made into a pay if you want a copy of said file. Do you have an ftp server or a location that could hold files like this? I would think that we have quite a few members who have vasts amounts of PDF's but no real location to put them for others to have access to. But also not putting a member on blast from a ton of people to request "can you send me that file" in his PM or inbox of email if posted. if this needs to be moved?

My question is if i have a PDF file of a manual on a specific truck, trucks, engine or trailer and or Pump as an example. I realize some of these PDF files can get to be very large. With out having to pay for a copy from a link location, I have in other sites posted links to a download which turned out to be killed or made into a pay if you want a copy of said file. Do you have an ftp server or a location that could hold files like this? I would think that we have quite a few members who have vasts amounts of PDF's but no real location to put them for others to have access to. But also not putting a member on blast from a ton of people to request "can you send me that file" in his PM or inbox of email if posted. if this needs to be moved?

most PDF files can be directly attached to the forum by a member when creating a resource.

On the occasion that it is too large of a file to be attached, it would have to be given to me where I can upload it directly to the server and provide a link to it from there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread