A LEGAL QUESTION?

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
I'm not sure if I posted in the right section if not I appoligise.My question is this in the winter I backed over a lawn sign.My company has sent me a bill for 300.00$ saying it will be deducted from me.Is that even legal that an employer can deduct this from me?I have not talked to my company yet.

I can't speak for how things work up in Canuckia, but down here, your employer may hold you liable for damages you do during the course of your day performing official duties in their stead.

My company uses the safety bonus for stuff like that, up to the limit of what you earn during the year. For the big stuff they use the insurance, and I would imagine if a person has a habit of being accident prone they might look at discipline.

So what kind of lawn sign was this?

Oh, and remember, I am not an attorney, so any comments made here are purely my opinion, and should not be construed to be legal advice.

I can't speak for how things work up in Canuckia, but down here, your employer may hold you liable for damages you do during the course of your day performing official duties in their stead.

My company uses the safety bonus for stuff like that, up to the limit of what you earn during the year. For the big stuff they use the insurance, and I would imagine if a person has a habit of being accident prone they might look at discipline.

So what kind of lawn sign was this?

Oh, and remember, I am not an attorney, so any comments made here are purely my opinion, and should not be construed to be legal advice.

I should have added this was my first accident.On the invoice I got it was listed as a sandwich board sign,Basically an A frame fold out sign that would have been on the grass,Had it not been winter and behind a snow bank.I understand laws are different up here sometimes.I just wanted to get a feel of Opinions.Thanks

For the big stuff they use the insurance

This is true. And i know there is a statue of law written that if a company recovers damages incured by an employee thru an insurance claim they cannot garnish your wages for said damages. Most companies are bonded with this type of insurance. A company I worked for tried to dock me for equipment stolen from my truck while said vehicle was parked on there property. They recovered the damages thru insurance claim then tried to dock me also. My wife worked for an attorney who checked into the matter and they backed off pretty quick when i confronted them about it. If you have a connection in your companys human resorces dept. check with them to see about it.

I should have added this was my first accident.On the invoice I got it was listed as a sandwich board sign,Basically an A frame fold out sign that would have been on the grass,Had it not been winter and behind a snow bank.I understand laws are different up here sometimes.I just wanted to get a feel of Opinions.Thanks

$300 for a sandwich sign? That sounds steep.

This is true. And i know there is a statue of law written that if a company recovers damages incured by an employee thru an insurance claim they cannot garnish your wages for said damages. Most companies are bonded with this type of insurance. A company I worked for tried to dock me for equipment stolen from my truck while said vehicle was parked on there property. They recovered the damages thru insurance claim then tried to dock me also. My wife worked for an attorney who checked into the matter and they backed off pretty quick when i confronted them about it. If you have a connection in your companys human resorces dept. check with them to see about it.

Great advice, Cajun!

Thanks Cajun,This is the first time I have ever been sent an invoice.There are other factors as well that I will be raising with them,When I contact them on monday and I am really looking foreward to placing this call.Law was my best subject in school(I figured I would need it one day) but I am by no means an expert.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread