Trucking Regulations: 3 Days til ELD mandate, and it is going to be a mess. (for carriers and brokers)

I think JB Hunt installs it more for workflow than the log itself.

The only thing in the regs concerning the truck and the AOBR is that it must notify of sensor failure. But the actual interface to the truck isn't addressed in any way by the regs, and you can make a compliant AOBR that works strictly off of GPS.
Any links to said AOBR?
I was just reading the regs themselves, but on another page I find this:

Feature/Function
Integral Synchronization
1988 AOBRD Rule
Integral synchronization required, but term not defined in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs)

ELD Rule .Integral synchronization interfacing with the CMV engine electronic control module (ECM), to automatically capture engine power status, vehicle motion status, miles driven, engine hours. (CMVs older than model year 2000 exempted.)

Yet I don't see the term 'Integral Synchronization' anywhere in 395.15. :dunno:

What does the 2019 requirement SuperCommie device monitor that the regular commie device doesn't?

Is it going to automatically rat you out to the Econazi Gestapo when your CEL light comes on?

What does the 2019 requirement SuperCommie device monitor that the regular commie device doesn't?

Is it going to automatically rat you out to the Econazi Gestapo when your CEL light comes on?
Mainly it will flag any jumps in the parameters. It also uses checksums to ensure the data hasn't been tampered with after recording. Scroll to the bottom of this page: SuperCommie Device Requirements

Rand McNally does capture the fault codes, although I don't think AlGore and company have requested access to that data. Give them time.

Have to go read the stuff to be exact, but some things show up on an ELD to an inspector that aren’t required to be shown with the AOBRD.

It’s not a big difference between the two, but since LEO will be lost in the beginning, I’m going with the AOBRD so there is less for them to get confused with.

Chaos started today, and it’s only Saturday.

Usually a peaceful day, my phone has been blowing up with brokers calling for Monday loads. Most of these guys won’t answer a phone on the weekends for booking loads, and they are all slammed with uncovered loads.

JB Hunt and Prime calling and I can’t even haul their loads yet.

TQL calling every few minutes.

My truck is posted to receive emails from brokers over this weekend.

Definitely waiting til Monday morning to see what is available then, partially because I might end up deadheading home after unloading Monday and take back off on Tuesday.

I think JB Hunt installs it more for workflow than the log itself.
They have it for the logbook part of CSA compliance - don't kid yourself about that. But yeah, the big thing that makes financial sense for large carriers is the return that the information provided by ELDs give thrm.

If JB requires an ELD, then you will have to maintain your logs on it. Having a second logbook on paper is illegal because you can't have two logbooks.

If that's why you want a pre-2000 truck - to use paper logbooks - it won't do you any good.

They have it for the logbook part of CSA compliance - don't kid yourself about that. But yeah, the big thing that makes financial sense for large carriers is the return that the information provided by ELDs give thrm.

If JB requires an ELD, then you will have to maintain your logs on it. Having a second logbook on paper is illegal because you can't have two logbooks.

If that's why you want a pre-2000 truck - to use paper logbooks - it won't do you any good.
I know.

I want it for easy DIY and no emissions.

I've been thinking about this all day and I get what you're saying now @Mike .I think for shippers that are shipping this short loads 200 miles , even 250 miles out of a city or major town , it won't be a serious issue because local trucking companies might be able to take advantage of the new market that might emerge . But for a shipper out in the middle of nowhere this could be a real dilemma. But then again I see the possibility of RESCUE contractors setting up shop in these kind of areas . For example with my CDL I could set up shop near ( let's make up a name ) , Jack's Widget Foundry . I know Jack has loads , through research and keeping up with sites like this , that continually give him issues that can't meet timelines because ELDs can't be manipulated to buy needed time .
Now if I'm smart I buy a little piece of land and put a mobile home on it all paid outright , so I have no over head. Now I can sell my services of driving to drivers . Basically they set up two loads from Jack's Widget. First load they go off duty and I drive truck , with them in it or not , to and from for first load for a fee that allows us both to make something out of it . Then driver has fresh hours to take second load and go on his way .
It's not as simple as I make it sound but it's not impossible either . But your point here does show how a whole new market will emerge and maybe a whole industry of temp and rescue drivers could emerge ( yes to some extent this does exist no , BIG RIG RESCUE , but it's a nitche market ... Not really a big part of the industry )

Also should point out if it's done right eventually, I buy a truck then start doing short hauls for Jack's Widgets and eventually build a company that's is his exclusive shipper .

I've been thinking about this all day and I get what you're saying now @Mike .I think for shippers that are shipping this short loads 200 miles , even 250 miles out of a city or major town , it won't be a serious issue because local trucking companies might be able to take advantage of the new market that might emerge . But for a shipper out in the middle of nowhere this could be a real dilemma. But then again I see the possibility of RESCUE contractors setting up shop in these kind of areas . For example with my CDL I could set up shop near ( let's make up a name ) , Jack's Widget Foundry . I know Jack has loads , through research and keeping up with sites like this , that continually give him issues that can't meet timelines because ELDs can't be manipulated to buy needed time .
Now if I'm smart I buy a little piece of land and put a mobile home on it all paid outright , so I have no over head. Now I can sell my services of driving to drivers . Basically they set up two loads from Jack's Widget. First load they go off duty and I drive truck , with them in it or not , to and from for first load for a fee that allows us both to make something out of it . Then driver has fresh hours to take second load and go on his way .
It's not as simple as I make it sound but it's not impossible either . But your point here does show how a whole new market will emerge and maybe a whole industry of temp and rescue drivers could emerge ( yes to some extent this does exist no , BIG RIG RESCUE , but it's a nitche market ... Not really a big part of the industry )

Only one big problem with this idea.

you basically have to go through a hiring process for each company you do this for. That will probably kill the process because carriers aren't going to want to go through that process and expense.

Interesting idea though.

It's aimed more at owner operators, but actually carriers do hiring Rescuers, from time to time . I use to watch it on TLC or HISTORY channel years ago . That's how I know it's a nitche market that to some extent does already exist .

It's a contract set up almost like a tow service , one of the companies was actually a tow service I think . Think it was the one in Texas . The one in Florida is more like how I described.

Their insurance won't allow you to drive their truck. You'd have to get your own insurance to cover your ability to drive any truck with any freight of any value.

Big fleets can keep trailers moving nonstop coast to coast with relays.

Van Wyk - Sheldon Iowa has about 200 trucks and they can pull it off.

This is designed to bankrupt the small carriers and independents because the shippers will figure out right away that the big fleets are more reliable because of this ability.

Small companies will only survive with teams. And I'll never team. I'll go stock shelves at Walmart before I'll team drive.

I know.

I want it for easy DIY and no emissionsm.
In that case you have all the way up to and including 2003 - EGR was introduced in model year 2004 and up.

In a very few cases, some late '03's have EGR on them, but that was only when manufacturers started running out of '03 engines late in the year. You just have to look at the engine. It's pretty obvious, because all the plumbing was external to the block on Detroits and Cummins. CAT introduced ACERT on '04 engines only.

Last edited:
In that case you have all the way up to and including 2003 - EGR was introduced in model year 2004 and up.

In a very few cases, some late '03's have EGR on them, but that was only when manufacturers started running out of '03 engines late in the year. You just have to look at the engine. It's pretty obvious, because all the plumbing was external to the block on Detroits and Cummins. CAT introduced ACERT on '04 engines only.
Good to know. Opens up more possibilities.

There is talk of going to bar coded log sheets for those who don't need an Eld.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread