2013 freightliner .... issue..

Bresslersinc

So i have a 2013 freightliner mc2 rollback. Has 105,xxx on it.

Truck has this issue where say youre at a redlight and you pull out. The truck goes to take off, and then falls on its face. Itll almost like cough and repeat. Itll continue doing this cycle randomly until highway speeds. Truck also doesnt seem to have balls behind it as it did.
No codes
No lights

We initially thought regen issue and put it into a forced regen. It took. Didnt seem to help.

We then thought bad fuel, drained water seperator, no water.
We then replaced the fuel filter and added additive. No change.

That was yesterday. Today the truck still had the issue. Spools up, falls flat, spools, flat. Doesnt make a difference if loaded or not.

Got home to park the truck, and it went intonanregen again. I let it finish and test drove. Again no change.

Anyone able to offer any insight? No hidden codes, no cels, no codes, no lights, gauges and fluids normal. Pm was last done 5k miles ago. Fuel filter was done again yesterday. As well as new air filter, also checked all couplers and hoses. Air to air hose ok. No pin holes. No slipped clamps. Were all stumped. Dpf? Injector? Fuel trim? Vgt harness? All systems seem ok on the scanner. thank you in advance!

Check your ECM connection.

What engine will help as well. But I had a Volvo do that and the plug was corroded.

Im not sure of which exact cummins it is. Its a 2013 freightliner mc2. With a cummins 6.7 liter. I included a picture of said truck.

We did chase wires and plugs all seemed good and tight. And didnt seem to notice any corrosion. Will check specifically ecm connection tomorrow and report back.

Attachments

• IMG_3439.JPG
    IMG_3439.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 53
Do I understand this is an M2 rollback like a wrecker? I'm guessing you have a 6.7 Cummins?

Your intake adapter is plugged with carbon. You'll need gaskets and carb cleaner. Remove it and spray the crap outta it with carb cleaner and let set. Remove the plugs for the egr diff pressure sensor cross drillings. Vacuum off the grid heater then after a 30-60 minute soak get a super hot pressure washer and wash the crap out of it. Reassemble with new gaskets. Should be good to go. I have seen it a million times. Especially on engines that idle or run PTO a lot. Like school buses and recovery vehicles and ambulances.

Do I understand this is an M2 rollback like a wrecker? I'm guessing you gave a 6.7 Cummins?

Your intake adapter is plugged with carbon. You'll need gaskets and carb cleaner. Remove is and spray the crap outta it with carb cleaner and let set. Remove the plugs for the egr diff pressure sensor cross drillings. Vacuum off the grid heater then after a 30-60 minute soak get a super hot pressure washer and wash the crap out of it. Reassemble with new gaskets. Should be good to go. I have seen it a million times. Especially on engines that idle or run PTO a lot. Like school buses and recovery vehicles and ambulances.

Yes!! Rollback tow truck (pic above your comment). That sounds like an extremely good lead here! It does see a lot of idle and pto time. I try to keep the rpms raised when im staged or idling up. But ill pass this along to our mechanic and see if we cant try this tomorrow! Thank you!!!

Yes!! Rollback tow truck (pic above your comment). That sounds like an extremely good lead here! It does see a lot of idle and pto time. I try to keep the rpms raised when im staged or idling up. But ill pass this along to our mechanic and see if we cant try this tomorrow! Thank you!!!

You bet, I didn't see your post of the pick till after I submitted my first post. But yes that's the truck I was thinking of when I wrote it. I bet your grid heater is caked and your engine can't breathe. So under load it chokes itself when cruising light load seems normal. I have seriously done this repair probably 500+ times as a mechanic. It's been an issue since the cm2250 or the 2010 model.

You bet, I didn't see your post of the pick till after I submitted my first post. But yes that's the truck I was thinking of when I wrote it. I bet your grid heater is caked and your engine can't breathe. So under load it chokes itself when cruising light load seems normal. I have seriously done this repair probably 500+ times as a mechanic. It's been an issue since the cm2250 or the 2010 model.

Will report back with findings / results. Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread