2011 vs 12 vs 13 Freightliner. Must decide!!

salespitch1100

Hi truckersforum, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I have been in sales most of my career and I plan on doing that with trucking and for the past several months Ive been working in different areas in the industry to learn it better. I have to know what I'm selling right?!

Ok so Im helping a small fleet owner choose some trucks. I was asked to help because man I pick info up fast. Well and I'm just providing the main guy working on this with extra research. Ive researched a lot already, I know about emission problems and new technology causing problems in newer trucks. I know to stay away from "Lackforce" engines and so on. Here is where I am at
  • Need 3 trucks that will run in California soon, 2 day cabbies, 1 sleeper
  • Probably going to go with Cascadias with DD engines based on forum research
  • Budget of up to 200,000 so as many trucks as possible but obviously they need to be good choices. Well 200,000 assuming he can get a loan that big!
  • Cant do anything older than 2007 because that would have a 06 engine and CARB requires a freak filter in those.
  • Reading that 2010s and 2011s could be a risky investment? Which year is more prone to big problems?
  • Should we consider 2007 to 2009 trucks. Any advice?
  • Should we try the 2010 and 2011s or are 2012s and 13s a much better bet?
  • Should APUs definitely be run on any sleeper or is that just for some model years? Im not talking MPG, Im talking more about idling tied to new emission tech problems.

Now here's the real interesting part. Penske offered 3 2011 manuals with 350,000 or so miles for about $60,000 each shipped across the country. commercialtrucktrader says 2012s with similar miles go for $71-73,000 plus what 2k in shipping each right. I cant really find many 2013 day cabs...

Is the $15,000 jump because Penske is trying to move units or is this how much trucks normally depreciate?

I really appreciate the help guys. I apologize for all the questions but I am excited and want to do this right
icon_smile.gif

Did you look on www.truckpaper.com too?

Personally, anything older than 2012, I'd avoid it too.

EPA10 engines first showed up in 2011 model year trucks. So anything in 11/12 will be the debug years typical of any new models.

Did you look on www.truckpaper.com too?

Personally, anything older than 2012, I'd avoid it too.

EPA10 engines first showed up in 2011 model year trucks. So anything in 11/12 will be the debug years typical of any new models.

Thank you for your input mndriver. Its hard finding 2013 day cabs right now. I heard its because of the 3 year cycle the big companies are on. Do you know when they might be rolling out on the used market?

MY 2013 would have first shown up in 2012. So likely they'll be hitting the streets in 2015.

Yes on the APU.

Idling is a terrible thing to do to an emissions engine. Especially the years you're looking for that have the DEF systems too.

There's a company based in northwest Iowa that has taken a firm stance against APU's. They don't save enough fuel to pay for themselves, they say. But they don't seem to realize that when drivers idle for air conditioning in the summer, or if their espar heater isn't working, they're causing problems with the emissions systems.

Are daycabs essential to the operation?
Around here (KC) they're often more money because of limited availability.
Personally I hate daycabs. Never owned one but I've driven a couple and I wouldn't have one.
By the time you get a jacket and cooler in the passenger seat you don't have room to set a clipboard down.

A sleeper truck with a small bunk is usually pretty cheap because not many people want them.
To me it'd be a perfect local truck.

Yes on the APU.

Idling is a terrible thing to do to an emissions engine. Especially the years you're looking for that have the DEF systems too.

There's a company based in northwest Iowa that has taken a firm stance against APU's. They don't save enough fuel to pay for themselves, they say. But they don't seem to realize that when drivers idle for air conditioning in the summer, or if their espar heater isn't working, they're causing problems with the emissions systems.

I read that it uses about 10% the amount of diesel the engine would use when idling. Does that seem correct or too generous?

And what can we expect to pay for a APU normally, like $5-$10 grand? Thanks. Man so a 2013 sleeper with an APU will end up being like $105 grand. Say bye to a lot of cash in downpayments :violin:

Oh yeah, I should have said around what time of year but its pretty early. Hopefully there will be some in March
Model years generally start in the fall. Sept/Oct 2015, model year 2016 should be rolling in full force. Dealer was just telling me in may 2015, I could take delivery of a new 2016 glider.

A sleeper truck with a small bunk is usually pretty cheap because not many people want them.
To me it'd be a perfect local truck.
Van Wyk has a handful of "shag" drivers who just run around locally in Iowa and Virginia. They bring empty trailers to shippers, occasionally live load something, puck up loaded trailers & bring them to the yard, etc.

They have day cabs with small sleepers.
I wouldn't even call them a sleeper. It's like lying on a couch. Not even a "single" size mattress.

They're only for the driver to lay down while waiting on a live load.

I think they have 3 or 4 Freightliner Columbia's & one chopped up Volvo 670.

The Volvo was rolled over & the top and rear of the sleeper were bashed up so rather than fix it, they chopped it into a flat-top & shortened it into a mini-sleeper. It looks goofy with load locks sticking up above the chopped roof.

Van Wyk has a handful of "shag" drivers who just run around locally in Iowa and Virginia. They bring empty trailers to shippers, occasionally live load something, puck up loaded trailers & bring them to the yard, etc.

They have day cabs with small sleepers.
I wouldn't even call them a sleeper. It's like lying on a couch. Not even a "single" size mattress.

They're only for the driver to lay down while waiting on a live load.

I think they have 3 or 4 Freightliner Columbia's & one chopped up Volvo 670.

The Volvo was rolled over & the top and rear of the sleeper were bashed up so rather than fix it, they chopped it into a flat-top & shortened it into a mini-sleeper. It looks goofy with load locks sticking up above the chopped roof.

I think Ive seen a truck like that before. Its like the red headed step child lol

I didnt know those single axle sleepers were that small. Thats good to know!

For what it's worth, I'd go with an APU just to have the climate control as well as the electricity. I have a 2009 Cascadia, which is good for California emissions until 2023. But I'm here to tell you, the state of California does not seem to be enforcing the emissions requirements. I'm amazed at the number of pre emission trucks (2003 and older) that are still running up and down the road in California. As far as the Daycabs, I'm with a few others here that would rather get a small sleeper. You get a little more room, and a place to lay down in there is any long delays at a customer.

For what it's worth, I'd go with an APU just to have the climate control as well as the electricity. I have a 2009 Cascadia, which is good for California emissions until 2023. But I'm here to tell you, the state of California does not seem to be enforcing the emissions requirements. I'm amazed at the number of pre emission trucks (2003 and older) that are still running up and down the road in California. As far as the Daycabs, I'm with a few others here that would rather get a small sleeper. You get a little more room, and a place to lay down in there is any long delays at a customer.
Agree I see older pre emissions trucks running up and down the road all of the time :confused-96:. I really wonder how many of them get pulled over for an opacity test:confused-96:. I wonder how they register em with the dmv also:confused-96:. to my knowing commiforina don't have the revenue to enforce there smog laws. I know there was some revenue rangers hanging out at the huddle houses in Tulare ca ticketing drivers for idling and for running there apu units:mad:. commieforinas a broke ass state they will do anything for moneyo_O. though I think that it's time we spray and neuter the goverment

I would surely agree with you about California not enforcing anything until a couple weeks ago or maybe a week. There have been CARB stations set up in several places.

Anyone else see these?

Still seeing very very few 2013 day cabs. Does anyone know if truck buying is seasonal overall? If it is then maybe I'll tr y to wait until there an inflow of them you know? Maybe they'll start rolling out on the used market later in the spring or early summer or is more like Fall of 2015?

Last edited:
ello everyone. Does anyone know why there 2012 day cabs with almost double the mileage of 2011 day cabs are about the same price? $64,000-75,000? I know supply and demand but where is the demand from? Is it the emissions stuff how the newer the truck the less potential for emission problems?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread