1 ton pickup towing question:

butter

Could a 1 ton dually pickup tow an empty 53' trailer legally?

How much does an empty 48' trailer weigh?

A 53'?

10-15K depending on make and whether it is a reefer unit or not. (these are just guesses, but should be in the ballpark)

No, pretty sure you are gonna overload a 1 ton with a 53 foot trailer.

I would love to get a picture of that setup going down the road though :)

If you try it, make sure you get a Ford, only chance you have of actually pulling the trailer ;)

That's how they deliver new hopper trailers. I saw 'em doing it once. I've also seen them pulling 53 foot race car trailers.

I've seen it done once or twice.
But only use a Ford if you're a good mechanic......or know one.....:stirpot:
Oh geez, ...

I've pulled empty 53 foot reefers, .. while they were attached to a 19,000 lb truck, ....

with THIS:

PICT0009.JPG

Oh, .. and not only is it a FORD, ... it's also 67 years old.

ablog.ramtrucks.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_09_Ram_Trucks_Dually_3.jpg
I'n not a huge fan of Dodge but it IS a Cummins with a towing capacity of over 22,000. It would haul a 53' trailer but I'm not sure I would want to try it. Some of the camping trailers and boats they haul with them weigh more than an empty 53' trailer. It would be fun to watch someone go down the road with that setup though. The air brakes would be a problem too I imagine.

As a side note our ugly little yard tractor has an older Cummins 5.9 liter which is the same as the older Ram trucks. The yard dog weighs in at 14k so the power and torque is there. The new trucks have a 6.7.

You can keep your Ford.
ablog.ramtrucks.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_09_Ram_Trucks_Dually_3.jpg

I saw a dually pickup towing a gooseneck trailer with a dump truck on it.

It was a real actual dump truck, not a pickup with a dump body.

It was a Ford or a Sterling dump truck with tandem drive axles. I don't remember where it was though. Impressed the hell outta me. That dump truck probably weighed more than an average OTR bobtail.

I saw a dually pickup towing a gooseneck trailer with a dump truck on it.

It was a real actual dump truck, not a pickup with a dump body.

It was a Ford or a Sterling dump truck with tandem drive axles. I don't remember where it was though. Impressed the hell outta me. That dump truck probably weighed more than an average OTR bobtail.

And the make of the dually towing it?....................

And the make of the dually towing it?....................
I didn't notice. I just saw that it was a pickup truck & then I looked at the dump truck on the trailer. It passed it in the opposite direction so I only saw it for a second.

I didn't notice. I just saw that it was a pickup truck & then I looked at the dump truck on the trailer. It passed it in the opposite direction so I only saw it for a second.

Ok @Duck we heard ya the first time

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread