◄In your travels, what is the most common thing you hear people say about trucking?►

BigMACK

:peacebanana:The answers can be positive or negative.

The most common thing I hear people say about truckers are they are friendly people. Seriously! I know some of you are laughing at that but it's the truth. Now, tell me what you hear.

BigMACK

Who has said we are friendly ppl Bmack??????????????Im over 9 yrs driving and not once have I heard that and im one of the friendliest ppl out here,LOL.The most common thing I hear is,you don't look like a trucker.Alot of my customers tell me that.Even casiers have said that.Or they see me getting out of the trk and say surprisingly,you drive a semi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell them no I just sit in it and watch the traffic go by.

After a pause to reflect on this question, it dawned on me... No one, outside of this forum, talks to me about trucking. No one. I see shippers, consignees, loaders, fuel desk clerks, and, restaurant waitresses, and, not one of them engages me in a conversation about trucking.

Is that odd?

More later,but one thing I hear alot is "how do you manage to drive all day like that?" many people just can't imagine being in a vehicle that many hours a day, everyday.

:peacebanana:The answers can be positive or negative.

The most common thing I hear people say about truckers are they are friendly people. Seriously! I know some of you are laughing at that but it's the truth. Now, tell me what you hear.

BigMACK

I hear that from time to time, and also that we are helpful. You know, when someone is broken down and no one else will stop, you can always count on a truck driver to stop and lend a hand.

Who has said we are friendly ppl Bmack??????????????Im over 9 yrs driving and not once have I heard that and im one of the friendliest ppl out here,LOL.The most common thing I hear is,you don't look like a trucker.Alot of my customers tell me that.Even casiers have said that.Or they see me getting out of the trk and say surprisingly,you drive a semi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell them no I just sit in it and watch the traffic go by.

You see patty, you are the one they are all talking about, and you know how people won't say something to your face. And ever since I joined this forum you have stood out as one of those friendly, helpful kind of people. I bet Tiny is very proud of you.

After a pause to reflect on this question, it dawned on me... No one, outside of this forum, talks to me about trucking. No one. I see shippers, consignees, loaders, fuel desk clerks, and, restaurant waitresses, and, not one of them engages me in a conversation about trucking.

Is that odd?

Odd, yes. But also true most of the time. Every once in a while someone will engage me about what I do for a living, but it is rare.

More later,but one thing I hear alot is "how do you manage to drive all day like that?" many people just can't imagine being in a vehicle that many hours a day, everyday.

I get that sometimes also. What really raises eyebrows is when you tell someone how many miles you ran last year, and feel that you should have gotten more. Some people even call BS and say that nobody can drive that much in a year. It is like they think that those big, stinky, slow trucks could never travel so far each day.

It is the nonverbal communication I "hear" all the time. If anyone is interested I am willing to demonstrate.

Well thank you racer,that was a very nice thing you said.As far as tiny goes,don't think she's too proud of me,I tease her too much,LOL.
I hear that from time to time, and also that we are helpful. You know, when someone is broken down and no one else will stop, you can always count on a truck driver to stop and lend a hand.

You see patty, you are the one they are all talking about, and you know how people won't say something to your face. And ever since I joined this forum you have stood out as one of those friendly, helpful kind of people. I bet Tiny is very proud of you.

Odd, yes. But also true most of the time. Every once in a while someone will engage me about what I do for a living, but it is rare.

I get that sometimes also. What really raises eyebrows is when you tell someone how many miles you ran last year, and feel that you should have gotten more. Some people even call BS and say that nobody can drive that much in a year. It is like they think that those big, stinky, slow trucks could never travel so far each day.

lol I know patty....a couple weeks ago we were delivering a load of countertops and i was on the back of the trailer unstraping the stuff and a company driver comes out and looks at me and says a female driver wow.....I look around it was only me and said slowly... "sorta" and he goes .."I am thinking sorta yea" I thought that was so funny.....

Is that odd?

Unforunately I hear this a lot from other drivers so no, it's not odd. I do not get a lot of conversation either when I am on the road. But for the most part, when I do engage in a conversation at a restaurant or elsewhere that leads to talking about trucking, people a generally nice about it.

Is that odd?

that seems to be about the second or third question our banker ask right after we say we want to buy.........,..

When I drove the motor coach the passengers would always ask how long have I been driving bus and I would tell them......I just got my license yesterday and I am so glad that they were going to be my first trip into Pittsburgh....I have never been to the big city before...this job is soooooooo cool!

Some ppl would realize that I was just joking but some of them got that deer in headlights look.

When I drove the motor coach the passengers would always ask how long have I been driving bus and I would tell them......I just got my license yesterday and I am so glad that they were going to be my first trip into Pittsburgh....I have never been to the big city before...this job is soooooooo cool!

Some ppl would realize that I was just joking but some of them got that deer in headlights look.

LOL.When I first started driving I was doing a pre-trip in the yard and I guess none of the senior drivers used to actually do one back then,So one of the senior drivers walks up to to me and says how long have you been driving.I looked at my watch and said 20 minutes.He said no I dont mean today I mean overall?I responded 20 minutes.That was my first trucking job but i will never forget the look on his face.I really had only been driving big truck for 20 minutes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread