Trucking News: “Nuclear verdict” kills 540 truck carrier

Sometimes we argue just to argue. Why do you think I jumped into it? 😁
I think you jump into most things now days because you miss skateboarder.

It's threads like these that make me happy I was banned across the street. I say that with 100% sincerity. The level of intelligence used to argue a point over here is pretty amazing compared to what I was used to previously, and it's fun to watch. I'm going to a new carrier on Monday, and my rates are going down from what I'm paying now. That's surprising to me because of the circumstances. I'm going from a company that has 10k drivers to a company that has around 200. This thread has raised a concern for me, and I'm going to be doing some digging on their insurance company. I may be going elsewhere for insurance if I don't like what I find. I was previously employed as company meat that had a self-insured health program and it was a nightmare. I'm pretty sure that my truck insurance where I'm at is a self-insured situation as well and that scares me. For ease of transition, I called them to see if I could keep my policy when I left. The curt reply was "nope". Only available to folks at my current company. I have to assume that means self-insured. I'd love some input on this. I should probably be looking at nationally recognized and publicly available insurance, correct? I'd rather pay more and feel safe. Saving $100/month sounds great until you find out your coverage sucks.

It's threads like these that make me happy I was banned across the street. I say that with 100% sincerity. The level of intelligence used to argue a point over here is pretty amazing compared to what I was used to previously, and it's fun to watch. I'm going to a new carrier on Monday, and my rates are going down from what I'm paying now. That's surprising to me because of the circumstances. I'm going from a company that has 10k drivers to a company that has around 200. This thread has raised a concern for me, and I'm going to be doing some digging on their insurance company. I may be going elsewhere for insurance if I don't like what I find. I was previously employed as company meat that had a self-insured health program and it was a nightmare. I'm pretty sure that my truck insurance where I'm at is a self-insured situation as well and that scares me. For ease of transition, I called them to see if I could keep my policy when I left. The curt reply was "nope". Only available to folks at my current company. I have to assume that means self-insured. I'd love some input on this. I should probably be looking at nationally recognized and publicly available insurance, correct? I'd rather pay more and feel safe. Saving $100/month sounds great until you find out your coverage sucks.
Truck insurance or health?

If you're running under their authority, you're stuck with their insurance.
I'll be running under their authority. I am someone you'd be happy to know as far as road courtesy, safety, and whatever. But I want to make sure that in the unfortunate event I screw up, I'm not dead in the water as far as my career goes. I've read a ton of posts here. I know what people expect from a fellow driver. I guess I can't prove it unless you were somehow aware I was there. I know what I'm doing out here. But sometimes stuff like this trips me up. I just want to be sure that when I start pulling loads for these folks I have all my bases covered. There's no such thing as an old dog that can't learn new tricks. There's only a stubborn dog that thinks they know better. I am not that guy.

I'll be running under their authority. I am someone you'd be happy to know as far as road courtesy, safety, and whatever. But I want to make sure that in the unfortunate event I screw up, I'm not dead in the water as far as my career goes. I've read a ton of posts here. I know what people expect from a fellow driver. I guess I can't prove it unless you were somehow aware I was there. I know what I'm doing out here. But sometimes stuff like this trips me up. I just want to be sure that when I start pulling loads for these folks I have all my bases covered. There's no such thing as an old dog that can't learn new tricks. There's only a stubborn dog that thinks they know better. I am not that guy.
You have to have their insurance while working under their authority. But that doesn't mean that you business or your person can't have a separate umbrella type policy to cover yourself. It makes good financial sense for anyone who has much to lose. Any competent insurance agent can help you with this. A 1 million dollar policy is normal.

You have to have their insurance while working under their authority. But that doesn't mean that you business or your person can't have a separate umbrella type policy to cover yourself. It makes good financial sense for anyone who has much to lose. Any competent insurance agent can help you with this. A 1 million dollar policy is normal.
This is extremely helpful. I was told that I could get alternative insurance (not additional) to what I was offered here. Insurance has become, if I'm understanding it correctly, something that can't be messed with if I want options. Again, please don't tear me down, just asking for truth. I was under the impression that I can get insurance anywhere as long as it is fully compliant with the DOT regs and the company I run under as an O/O. I'm leaning rral hard towards Great Western.

This is extremely helpful. I was told that I could get alternative insurance (not additional) to what I was offered here. Insurance has become, if I'm understanding it correctly, something that can't be messed with if I want options. Again, please don't tear me down, just asking for truth. I was under the impression that I can get insurance anywhere as long as it is fully compliant with the DOT regs and the company I run under as an O/O. I'm leaning rral hard towards Great Western.
I am 99% sure that the insurance you have to use is the one that the person who owns the authority has. Someone who has their own authority can correct me if I am wrong. What I am talking about is a completely separate insurance policy that is used to cover you if you are sued. It covers the part that another policy doesn't cover. It would cover things that happen while driving or flying a plane or just sitting around your house and someone sprains an ankle.

I'm pretty sure (I think) that we're talking about the same thing. Where I'm going is a pretty substantial increase in pay. I'd like to get separate bobtail and additional liability on top of what they require. I'm not the smartest guy you're gonna talk to here, but I know how to cover my six. If I'm not mistaken I'm allowed to do that. I suppose I should just call OOIDA instead of bugging you fine folks. Just enjoyed the thread and felt like joining in I guess.

I'm pretty sure (I think) that we're talking about the same thing. Where I'm going is a pretty substantial increase in pay. I'd like to get separate bobtail and additional liability on top of what they require. I'm not the smartest guy you're gonna talk to here, but I know how to cover my six. If I'm not mistaken I'm allowed to do that. I suppose I should just call OOIDA instead of bugging you fine folks. Just enjoyed the thread and felt like joining in I guess.
I believe we are talking about the same thing. Let us know what you find out. You are not bugging me. I try to learn what I can and help people when I can. I know a very knowledgeable insurance agent but I hate to ask him or send anyone to him because he is quite the salesman and always pushes large whole life policies on everyone.

Don't be surprised when they want two bags full of gold pieces and your first born for commercial truck insurance. It ain't cheap, and it gets worse for moving violations, being put out of service by DOT, etc.

Don't be surprised when they want two bags full of gold pieces and your first born for commercial truck insurance. It ain't cheap, and it gets worse for moving violations, being put out of service by DOT, etc.
Yup, I've looked. The nice thing about running under someone else's authority is getting rates that have already been negotiated. I saw this journey as a 4 step process. I'm just starting my 3rd right now on Monday. My 4th will come with worries and headaches that I don't want to even think about right now. I'll let myself worry about those steps once I catch my breath here. I'm just so grateful to have made it this far. No matter how screwed up it can be sometimes, I love this job. 4 wheelers and all :)

Look at your cab card. It will say who the "motor carrier responsible for safety" is. Id you take their mc/dot number and look them up in safer, you'll see who their carrier on the 91X is. The 91X is the form filed by the carrier's insurance company notifying the fmcsa when you are insured, renewed or dropped.

The motor carrier insurance will consist of liability and cargo coverage. Federal minimum for liability is $750,000. Most have $1,000,000.
Cargo generally is $100,000. Some will have more.

What you normally get for your own policy is considered bobtail insurance. It's the comp and collision essentially for your equipment.

By the time you foot the bill and are back charged for insurance...

You've generally paid enough to just have your own authority when you also take out the carrier's cut for themselves.

Look at your cab card. It will say who the "motor carrier responsible for safety" is. Id you take their mc/dot number and look them up in safer, you'll see who their carrier on the 91X is. The 91X is the form filed by the carrier's insurance company notifying the fmcsa when you are insured, renewed or dropped.

The motor carrier insurance will consist of liability and cargo coverage. Federal minimum for liability is $750,000. Most have $1,000,000.
Cargo generally is $100,000. Some will have more.

What you normally get for your own policy is considered bobtail insurance. It's the comp and collision essentially for your equipment.

By the time you foot the bill and are back charged for insurance...

You've generally paid enough to just have your own authority when you also take out the carrier's cut for themselves.
That's how I'm looking at it. I live in a state where obtaining your own authority isn't a complete nightmare, so that'll be my 4th and final step in my normal-guy-to-O/O process. In for a penny, in for a pound. Let's do this. Too late to turn this thing around, let's run her to the max.

I believe we are talking about the same thing. Let us know what you find out. You are not bugging me. I try to learn what I can and help people when I can. I know a very knowledgeable insurance agent but I hate to ask him or send anyone to him because he is quite the salesman and always pushes large whole life policies on everyone.
Will do. I can't really do much until I complete orientation. I'll be calling OOIDA tomorrow to see what I can add on, and what they have for O/O single truck/no employee options. I know that their sources are on the pricey side. Gonna be calling Great Western as well. Also on the pricey side, but they are the Cadillac of insurance as far as I've been told.

Last edited:
So, I did some digging. I have process for deciding what insurance will run with my new company. As much as folks want to complain about O/O insurance, these rates aren't bad. As stated previously I have to take the coverage from the new spot. Additional insurance through either an independent agent or OOIDA will be about the same. Kinda depends on what you're looking for. Additional bobtail is nothing. $50/month maybe $100 depending on what you choose. Additional freight insurance is about the same. Not sure yet if the freight insurance is neccessary but you better believe I'll have extra bobtail. This truck is my lifeline, and it's how I keep promises made to Mrs Junkie. I've disappointed her once, and that was pretty ugly. There won't be a second time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread