Trucking News: Wyoming I-80 toll bill gets truckers’ attention

Mike

The Wyoming Legislature returns to work this week and one issue awaiting their consideration is whether to tap tolls to cover costs for improvements to Interstate 80 in the state.

The Joint Transportation, Highways and Military Affairs Committee filed the bill for consideration during the regular session that begins Monday, Feb. 10. The panel voted 7-6 in recent months to move forward with plans to help the state find the money needed for construction and maintenance of the heavily traveled east-west interstate.

Similar legislation has been considered at the statehouse in the past decade, but each effort has failed to gain support in both chambers.

The latest effort, SF6, would have the state Department of Transportation come up with a master plan to toll the 400-mile thoroughfare in southern Wyoming. According to a fiscal note attached to the bill, the agency would need to come up with $1 million to $1.25 million to develop a master plan.

The Wyoming Legislature returns to work this week and one issue awaiting their consideration is whether to tap tolls to cover costs for improvements to Interstate 80 in the state.

The Joint Transportation, Highways and Military Affairs Committee filed the bill for consideration during the regular session that begins Monday, Feb. 10. The panel voted 7-6 in recent months to move forward with plans to help the state find the money needed for construction and maintenance of the heavily traveled east-west interstate.

Similar legislation has been considered at the statehouse in the past decade, but each effort has failed to gain support in both chambers.

The latest effort, SF6, would have the state Department of Transportation come up with a master plan to toll the 400-mile thoroughfare in southern Wyoming. According to a fiscal note attached to the bill, the agency would need to come up with $1 million to $1.25 million to develop a master plan.

Pennsylvania tried to Toll I 80 which was shotdown by the Feds

Now Toll Revenue is taken from the Pa Turnpike, to the tune of $450M/ year, and given to PennDot

Pennsylvania tried to Toll I 80 which was shotdown by the Feds

Now Toll Revenue is taken from the Pa Turnpike, to the tune of $450M/ year, and given to PennDot
In PA, that was a way for liberals to funnel money out of the I-80 corridor into Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. The vast majority of that money was not to be used for highway improvements on the road itself or any of the communities that it touches.
It was doomed to fail from the start.

The last time Wyoming floated this dog, it was a toll only on trucks engaged in interstate commerce.

Wyoming residents would be exempted.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, before a road can be tolled there must be another free route to follow like a secondary road through small towns and such. Then all the trucks take the free route and everyone complains and that's the end of it.

If I'm not mistaken, before a road can be tolled there must be another free route to follow like a secondary road through small towns and such. Then all the trucks take the free route and everyone complains and that's the end of it.
That's when the guys who throw **** bottles out the window might actually make themselves useful. It'll trigger more complaints from the locals on the free route. 😁

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread