Why do Chip bags Puff Up like they gonna explode

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
It’s fun seeing how much a water bottle will crush in Minnesota after being opened on elk mountain, Eisenhower or on US50. Especially Eisenhower.

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Premium
Empty Gatorade bottles will occasionally collapse loudly enough to scare the crap out of you.
My current air compressor goes up to 155 psi..

I drilled a hole in the cap of an empty 2 liter bottle and installed a tire valve stem.

Using a locking chuck, I set it out in the yard and let it fill up with air.

I had a valve and a gauge so I could stop and let it equalize and check the pressure.

It was around 150 psi when it burst.

It was loud, but not as loud as I had expected.

Now if I could pressurize it with a 50/50 oxygen and acetylene mixture and toss it in a campfire,... 🤔

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
My current air compressor goes up to 155 psi..

I drilled a hole in the cap of an empty 2 liter bottle and installed a tire valve stem.

Using a locking chuck, I set it out in the yard and let it fill up with air.

I had a valve and a gauge so I could stop and let it equalize and check the pressure.

It was around 150 psi when it burst.

It was loud, but not as loud as I had expected.

Now if I could pressurize it with a 50/50 oxygen and acetylene mixture and toss it in a campfire,... 🤔
Friend of mine was a welder in the Air Force. They took a 35 gallon trash bag and filled it from a torch, and put it in a dumpster. I don't remember how they lit it off, but that dumpster resembled a beach ball afterwards.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Friend of mine was a welder in the Air Force. They took a 35 gallon trash bag and filled it from a torch, and put it in a dumpster. I don't remember how they lit it off, but that dumpster resembled a beach ball afterwards.

We weren’t allowed unattended access to torches.