What trucking companies should I avoid? Which companies are good to work for?

railing

I just enrolled in a college that teaches CDL driving, and was informed about "pre-hiring" (meaning I'll work for a company I sign up with). Since that is a very important decision, I need to know which companies to look out for and which are good to work for; once I sign up with a company, I'll be signing away my commitment. I don't want to be another person who works for a bad trucking company.

TL;DR: Please tell me the bad and good trucking companies.

When the recruiters for CR England, CRST, or Prime show up, wear ear plugs.

And use their brochures as toilet paper.

Oh my goodness, I looked up CR England on ripoffreport.com; they have over 100 complaints against them!

I can't help wondering how they stay in business.

Use their brochures as toilet paper? I don't think they'll be good for even that, LOL.

There are a gazillion posts on Ripoff Report about Swift, too.

Bear in mind, when looking at sites like that, people don't post there unless they're pissed about something. Nine times out of ten, you can dig around a bit and you'll find whatever they're bitching about, they had some factor in themselves, if they didn't bring it entirely on themselves. It's a good place to do some of your research, but look for other resources, too.

Dont lease. As ike said youll need knee high boots cause the bs will get deep when you talk to recruiters. They only tell you whaat you want to hear and glamorize trucking.:stirpot2:. Your best bet is to goto a commynity college and try finding a med size company with 300 trucks:)

Community college, small trucking company and construction outfit advice is not sound advice in toady's industry.

A community college does nothing to assist in job placement. They merely take your money, give you a CDL and a headfull of "knowledge" and kick you loose.

Smaller companies are usually hiring experienced only drivers.

Construction companies will not give you the experience you need to move on in the industry. Most companies looking for experienced drivers are looking for OTR experience.

But...good luck.

I just enrolled in a college that teaches CDL driving, and was informed about "pre-hiring" (meaning I'll work for a company I sign up with). Since that is a very important decision, I need to know which companies to look out for and which are good to work for; once I sign up with a company, I'll be signing away my commitment. I don't want to be another person who works for a bad trucking company.

Avoid all companies that stress the lease program.CrEngland does and so does transam.Everyone that gets into this industry has the same goal you do,they want a good company and stay at least a yr.But with trucking that's up to you.Youre not going to find the perfect company.All starters are the same in one way or another.If this is what you wanna do you just have to suck it up and get your one yr in and move elsewhere.A few companiesare by far the worst and duck mentioned 2 of them,crst and England.Yes recruiters will come to your school,.but you can get the same results if you was to fill out an application online today.,You would hear back from them Monday morning.If you do choose a school and want a company to reimburse you then you'll have to go with a company that honors your school.If its a well known and reputable school then theres a good chance youll get reimbursed.But there are strings attached.You have to be with a company for I think a yr before you receive the full reimbursement and you receive so much every 3 or 4 months.Thtas one thing recruiters forget to mention.So ask questions/

Avoid all companies that stress the lease program.CrEngland does and so does transam.Everyone that gets into this industry has the same goal you do,they want a good company and stay at least a yr.But with trucking that's up to you.Youre not going to find the perfect company.All starters are the same in one way or another.If this is what you wanna do you just have to suck it up and get your one yr in and move elsewhere.A few companiesare by far the worst and duck mentioned 2 of them,crst and England.Yes recruiters will come to your school,.but you can get the same results if you was to fill out an application online today.,You would hear back from them Monday morning.If you do choose a school and want a company to reimburse you then you'll have to go with a company that honors your school.If its a well known and reputable school then theres a good chance youll get reimbursed.But there are strings attached.You have to be with a company for I think a yr before you receive the full reimbursement and you receive so much every 3 or 4 months.Thtas one thing recruiters forget to mention.So ask questions/

Community college, small trucking company and construction outfit advice is not sound advice in toady's industry.

A community college does nothing to assist in job placement. They merely take your money, give you a CDL and a headfull of "knowledge" and kick you loose.

Construction companies will not give you the experience you need to move on in the industry. Most companies looking for experienced drivers are looking for OTR experience.

But...good luck.
agrees with you. I never had any desire to go otr I like staying close to home with weekends off. Ide challage any noob to go O/O right out of school theres lots of headaches frustrations take it from one that did not listen tjeee a whole hell of alot more than grabbing the keys and riding off into the sunset

But...good luck.
though the one I went through would have set you up on your own and as well as get you set up with insurance but I agree that most do shove you out the door and the ones that are like the ones I went throughare few and far between.i dont recomend a noob doing this youll need the first u ea to learn all the laws and regs to each state and learning the industry then youll need to figure out how to structure your business

There are a gazillion posts on Ripoff Report about Swift, too.

Bear in mind, when looking at sites like that, people don't post there unless they're pissed about something. Nine times out of ten, you can dig around a bit and you'll find whatever they're bitching about is true.
It's a good place to do some of your research, but look for other resources, too....Because I'm the world foremost SWIFT cheerleader and will say they're good no matter how bad they really are.

Oh, and SWIFT sucks.

Fixed....

Oh my goodness, I looked up CR England on ripoffreport.com; they have over 100 complaints against them!.
Only 100 complaints, I guese the rest are so broke they can;t afford a computer to post on-line and their credit is so bad they can not be issued a library card to access a computer to post on-line. LMAO!

Along with the 100 complaints on ripoff report you cant forget about the wannabe revenue rangers they got working for em and the metal detectors for all the people they screwed over

There is not a company I know of paying drivers what they should be getting, Swift included. At least with Swift, you get pay raises fairly quickly over the first year and they have halfway decent benefits.

But they have their own flavor of BS, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread