What tools should I carry in my truck

kevin7026

I start my trucking career soon and I was wondering what kind of tools I should carry in my truck. Actually is there a list of EVERYTHING I should carry I don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff I don't need. I also don't want to be a 1000 miles from anywhere and find out I forgot something.

Hello and welcome!

Here are a few things that I thought of right off the bat:

Screwdriver Set
Flashlight (a good one)
Tire Thumper
Small Socket Set
Pliers
Hammer

These are the basics and you probably won't use some of them because you'll end up calling someone out to fix it anyways :)

One thing I would add to this list if you are going to carry things for emergencies is to carry some rope and bungy cords with you. There may be times where you pick up a trailer and the chains/hooks that hold the trailer doors open are gone or broke. You will need some way to keep the doors opened properly.

As a company driver, I wouldn't worry too much about the tools, so don't end up carrying a big tool box or anything. Just the few basics for very minor roadside emergencies. If you end up having to actually make big repairs on the road yourself, then it is time to find another company :)

It depends on the company you are with. Some are not very good about maintaining their trucks of sending help when you need it. Carry a cellphone.

I start my trucking career soon and I was wondering what kind of tools I should carry in my truck. Actually is there a list of EVERYTHING I should carry I don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff I don't need. I also don't want to be a 1000 miles from anywhere and find out I forgot something.

First check with your company, some companies will not allow drivers to work on the trucks or trailers. You must call safety or breakdown and ask them what they want done.

Also it depends if you are a company driver or not. Some companies jump you around in trucks and you don't want to have to transfer a lot of tools everytime.

The MOST important tool that I have not provided by the basic tools Werner gave us, is a pair of Vice Grips!! This come in especially handy when the tandem release bar is bent and does not stay out so you can slide the tandems. When nobody else is around to help, this comes in handy.

It depends on the company you are with. Some are not very good about maintaining their trucks of sending help when you need it. Carry a cellphone.

very well said.

Even if you can't afford a monthly cell phone bill, getting a pre-paid isn't a bad idea.

And for companies that don't maintain there trucks well, find another company as soon as possible :)

And a VERY good pair of oil deterrent gloves. Don't know how many times those have come in handy

This is something you need daily. Fueling, sliding tandems, opening and closing trailer doors... Gotta have good gloves, or else your steering wheel and your clothes are gonna be filthy.

I'm shocked no one said a 5th wheel puller. They are only $12, unless you can con a schneider driver to part with one of theirs(its a 5th wheel/tandem puller). While my truck has a 5th wheel release, I like to use it to pull the tandems. Makes it easier than reaching under there.

I'm shocked no one said a 5th wheel puller. They are only $12, unless you can con a schneider driver to part with one of theirs(its a 5th wheel/tandem puller). While my truck has a 5th wheel release, I like to use it to pull the tandems. Makes it easier than reaching under there.

They don't work on all trucks. I have one but don't use it. My Pete 379? (longnose) you have to liftup on the handle, pull out, and then move forward to keep it released. It was a pain at first, but I'm starting to get used to it.

I was just wondering if you ever got started anywhere, and how it is going with you. What kind of tool kit did you end up with? :)

They don't work on all trucks. I have one but don't use it. My Pete 379? (longnose) you have to liftup on the handle, pull out, and then move forward to keep it released. It was a pain at first, but I'm starting to get used to it.

First I have no idea what you're talking about. Second, it would help to know who made the 5th wheel. Just because your truck is a peterbilt, that doesnt mean they made the 5th wheel. I don't think any truck maker has their own brand.

First I have no idea what you're talking about. Second, it would help to know who made the 5th wheel. Just because your truck is a peterbilt, that doesnt mean they made the 5th wheel. I don't think any truck maker has their own brand.

Now that I don't know either. I did talk to another Pete driver with the same type 379 tractor and his worked the same way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread