What is the worst State for Truck Drivers to drive in?

There are a few states that can make truck driving pretty tough at times. Whether it be speed limit laws, heavy truck enforcement by the DOT, very heavy traffic, and crime in the big city areas.

If you had to pick a State to vote as the worst state to drive a truck in, which would it be? I am creating a poll in this thread. If the State isnt listed, select other and post your answer in here.

This takes a little thinking. Given all factors, and judging the States as a whole, not just one part, I have to say California gets my vote. High fuel prices, heavy traffic, Los Angeles, the insane truck enforcement (DOT), and the speed limit all factor in for me.

This is the only State I have been placed "Out Of Service" in, for a steering shaft, on a Peterbilt with 20K miles on it. There was nothing wrong with the truck when they shut me down, but when one of the rip off repair shops came and installed another shaft, then there was something wrong. They took their money and left, and I was stuck driving a truck with the steering wheel upside down.

New York would be a close second for me, and was almost my pick, but I hate to judge an entire state over New York City and an idling law (which, by the way, will be the same in California starting in 2008)

Only been in California a few times, so going with my experience, my answer is New York.

Wasn't aware that California was making it illegal to idle trucks now though.

California gets my vote, especially the way they are making it harder and harder to haul freight in the State unless you have a new truck.

California and New York tied for us. Both went way over the top and act as though truckers are criminals just for driving in their state.

I wonder if they have given any thought to how long they would survive if truckers boycotted their state!

My husband says that New York was/is the worst for him. Especially New York city for actual driving and traffic as well as the streets. Illinois was worst for DOT etc.. Speed limit is just 55 and easy to break so the laws are everywhere. California isn't fun either.

Well New York City was a pain in the rear, but not as bad as the horror stories. The rest of New York wasn't bad at all, other than the no idling law.

Los Angeles was pretty busy as well.

Havent hit all the States yet though, so I will wait a while before I vote, LOL

Without a doubt, it is New York. not all of New York is bad, but much of it is. If it isn't New York City, it is toll roads, and no idle laws, and troopers that are arrogant jerks.

I drove some around LA when I was in training. Don't like the traffic. I've done more driving in the state of NY but none in NYC. I hate NY state. The mile markers don't match the exit numbers and they go the wrong way. i use mile markers to track my progress and you can't do that in NY. And that stupid idle law. I don't have a APU so I try not to stay in the state overnight unless I have to. NY gets my vote.

California and New York tied for us. Both went way over the top and act as though truckers are criminals just for driving in their state.

I wonder if they have given any thought to how long they would survive if truckers boycotted their state!

It will never happen, but I would LOVE to see it. Truckers could collapse Chicago, if they didn't take anything into the city for just four days.

no state is any worse than the other. to me it's more factors like DOT, roads, traffic, weather, etc. i think north carolina is the worst on DOT and atlanta has to be the worse traffic, jersey has the worst roads, wisconsin/michigan tie for the worst weather. the worst drivers are in virginia. :cool:

I love driving in Maine, it's just all those other States you have to go through to get to Maine. Maine is beautiful, and the people seem to be very friendly.

It is a long way up here, but you gotta admit, the trip is worth it (especially in the fall). And we try to be friendly. I worked at an Irving truck stop for a year and I met so many wonderful truckers (male and female) that it was one of the best parts of the job.

Although NYC sucks, outside city is not bad. Cali - same as IL (Chicago) and OH. My worst experiences were in Maine. Moose on the road and tight turns when you get into rural areas. Best to make sure your tandems are all the way up before going to the great north Maine.

It will never happen, but I would LOVE to see it. Truckers could collapse Chicago, if they didn't take anything into the city for just four days.
Nah. Too much comin in by air, rail and water to colapse.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread