New To Trucking What is the difference between a DPF filter and regular DEF filter. I drive FRHT DD15

SouthsideCDL

I recently just got my cdl and purchased a 2015 Freightliner DD15 . Truck has been running smooth for the past couple months .
I have been having some def issues though .

How many filters does a DEF system have ? What is the difference between a DPF filter and regular def filter ?
I notice the dpf filters are very expensive versus just the regular def filter . Are there more then 1 def filter ?

Thanks for the help guys and other tips regarding the DEF system would be greatly appreciated .

I recently just got my cdl and purchased a 2015 Freightliner DD15 . Truck has been running smooth for the past couple months .
I have been having some def issues though .

How many filters does a DEF system have ? What is the difference between a DPF filter and regular def filter ?
I notice the dpf filters are very expensive versus just the regular def filter . Are there more then 1 def filter ?

Thanks for the help guys and other tips regarding the DEF system would be greatly appreciated .

One is a small filter that filters the DEF fluid and is replaced per a maintenance schedule.

The other, the DPF filter, filters soot out of the exhaust. It is part of the exhaust system, large, and costly to replace.

One is a small filter that filters the DEF fluid and is replaced per a maintenance schedule.

The other, the DPF filter, filters soot out of the exhaust. It is part of the exhaust system, large, and costly to replace.

Do you know the intervals on the DEF fluid filter?

There are 2 primary exhaust components to the new Tier 4 diesel engine. One is DPF, a Diesel Particulate filter, and the other is the addition of DEF, Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

DEF is the clear fluid (Urea) added to a tank attached to your diesel engine. DPF is designed to capture the soot and not release it into the atmosphere.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread