CB Radio What CB Radio Should I Buy?

AdamAnt

I know the CB Radio isn't the popular radio that it used to be, but I think it is something I need to have as a future truck driver. Rather than buy everything once I get out on the road, I am trying to get most of what I will be using purchased before I go to school.

I noticed there are several different brands of radios, and each brand makes several models. Which one would be most recommended? Should I buy one off the shelf and just install it, or should I purchase one from a CB shop and have them optimize it for me? (I know optimize is the wrong wording, but I can't remember what you call it)

If you are just wanting a dependable radio, something that will get the job done, work well, and last, I would recommend a Cobra 29. I have had one for a few years now, never had a problem out of it, and never had anything done to it. Works great.

The cobra 29 is a very good radio. Doesn't have the power that the 10 meter radios have, but it is a very durable one.

love the Cobra 29. I bought a used one off of a guy at a truckstop for $20 bucks along with a Road King Mic. This was about 5 years ago, and it still works perfect.

I think I will go with the Cobra 29 as soon as I can afford it. I have bought most of the things I will need already, so I guess that is the next purchase.

Ok, got the Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Loves had it on sale for under $100.00. Not sure what it normally sells for eveywhere else. That's one more thing taken care of.

I will probably wait on Antennas until I am out there and getting my own truck, as I doubt that whoever I end up training with will want me carrying antennas in their truck, and I probably wont' be by the house immediately once I finish training.

Appreciate all the help folks, and don't worry, I am nowhere near finished asking questions :)

Looks like you got a good one. My husband has 2 of the Cobra 29's ...One for in his big rig and one for his everyday truck...We haven't ever had any problems with them and even if you did, they have a good warranty. Be sure to keep your receipt...you know you love adding to that big box of them for taxes!

Personally I don't like the quality of Cobra. But since Uniden is not much better these days, the 29 is probably the best bang for your buck. Check out the one with the built in weather radio also. Just don't go so cheap it has no receiver selection. Get something that you can tune out most garbage without tuning the voices out. Also back it up with a damn good antenna. Thats where your real money should go. If you want to be heard, get a good mic too. It makes a big difference.

The Cobra is now bouncing around underneath my bunk as a spare radio. Sporting the high power General Grant now :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread