What can I pack for him?

severina

My fiancee is going out as a company driver for Prime. I'm helping him pack for his truck, having gotten packing lightly down to an art form. He's got an APU, small microwave and fridge. I know to pack his favorite foods and snacks, including as many non-perishable items as possible since his fridge is tiny. I plan to buy him more groceries just before he gets home from a run, so he can take them on his next run and not waste home time at the grocery store.

I plan to get him two of everything (shower bags, dirty laundry bags, clean laundry bags) and send him out with one of each. When he gets home with all his dirty laundry and used-up personal care supplies, he can then pick up the other set, which I will have packed for him while he's away. That way he does not have to spend any of his home time doing laundry or packing for the next run.

Shower bag packing list:
-Shampoo
-Comb
-Facial cleanser
-Shave gel
-Razor & extra blades
-Aftershave lotion
-Toothbrush, toothpaste, dental plackers, mini bottles of mouthwash
-Deodorant
-Qtips
-Nice fluffy towel
-Shower sandals (in plastic bag so they don't get other stuff wet)
-Soap & airtight soap dish (yes he still uses bar soap, blech)
-rolled up plastic bags to transport dirty clothes

Other personal care items I'm packing:
-Clothes (obviously)
-Dry shampoo for days he can't take a shower
-Face cleaning wipes, again for days he can't shower
-Chapstick
-Hand sanitizer
-Small packets of tissues
-Small waste bin
-Blankets, pillow, sheets

He'll also have his laptop. He loves to read, but finishes books so fast and likes to read several at a time that I've gotten a present for him: a new Kindle Fire and I plan to fill it with the kinds of books he likes to read.

Does anyone have any suggestions for items that I've left out?

Also, we're used to being in constant contact 24/7, either in person or by phone/text/IM. How can I help keep him from getting bored or lonely? I have no concerns whatsoever about the truck stop *****s, we are just going to miss each other.

Starter companies aren't supposed to be able to slide their fifth wheels to adjust weight? Some of you guys amaze me. You bitch when noobs don't know how to do certain things and then you don't want them to have the tools to do the things they are supposed to know.

I thought you were talking about the switch on some trucks that unlocks the 5th wheel jaws.

Some of you guys amaze me. You bitch when noobs don't know how to do certain things and then you don't want them to have the tools to do the things they are supposed to know.

AMEN to that!
:wtf:are we supposed to do? I guess it's trial by fire out there huh?

GEEZ......SOMETIMES.......:banghead::pullhair::paddle:

I don't think experienced drivers need the jaw release switch either. It was a seven year driver for CRST who I watched drop his loaded trailer because of forgetting about that switch. He was set up to drop a trailer and was then asked to place it somewhere else. He wound up the landing gear and connected his lines, but forgot to move the switch into the lock position.

And when my ex pushed the switch on my dash, nothing happened because I knocked his hand away from it and locked it right away. This truck, you have to physically hold the switch down to keep the pins disengaged. The one my ex was in with me was a brand new (then) Volvo with 29 miles on it when I picked it up.

I don't think experienced drivers need the jaw release switch either. It was a seven year driver for CRST who I watched drop his loaded trailer because of forgetting about that switch. He was set up to drop a trailer and was then asked to place it somewhere else. He wound up the landing gear and connected his lines, but forgot to move the switch into the lock position.

And when my ex pushed the switch on my dash, nothing happened because I knocked his hand away from it and locked it right away. This truck, you have to physically hold the switch down to keep the pins disengaged. The one my ex was in with me was a brand new (then) Volvo with 29 miles on it when I picked it up.

Actually if those 5th wheel jaw release switches were wired up so the switch does nothing if the red knob is pushed in, there wouldn't be a problem. But I don't know if truck manufacturers have enough common sense to do that.

Yeah, no common sense. Hence, the birth of the LoneStar, T600, 630, 386, Coronado and anything that has you looking up a dog's ass as you drive.

Yeah, no common sense. Hence, the birth of the LoneStar, T600, 630, 386, Coronado and anything that has you looking up a dog's ass as you drive.

Looking up a dog's ass as you drive? Huh?

Leave the poodle at home and it won't get up on the dashboard, if that's what you're talking about.

I think you have the basics down, now think of the non-obvious:

-roll of paper towels
-toilet paper
-forks/spoons
-OTC medications (pepto, tylenol/advil, tums, etc)
-baby wipes - I'd personally forgo "face wipes". Baby wipes are much cheaper and have a million uses
-a small fan if he is going to be in a warmer climate
-a package of pens
-a note book or pack of post-its

My personal opinion of travel-size toiletries is they are a waste of money. Yes there isn't alot of space in a truck, but if you have a bunch of little bottles to keep track of and have them rolling around everywhere, it could be more annoying than helpful. I just think of travel-size mouthwash - two or three swigs and the bottle is gone. I would buy supplies "medium size" - bigger than travel but smaller than family size. This way too, he doesn't run out of something and has to end up spending a fortune at a truck stop for silly toiletries.

As for communication, the best thing you can send him on the road with is a good bluetooth for his cell phone. He will be able to safely talk to you when he's driving. If this is your first time dealing with someone on the road, know there are going to be times when he doesn't answer the phone or can't talk - and it is ok. There will be times when he is out of the truck (loading/unloading) or simply needs to concentrate driving if he is in bad weather. Don't take it personally. It might take some time, but you will get into a routine, which will make being apart much easier. Making sure to always say good morning/night with eachother and checking in every now and again will help the separation. Even though my trucker is now a local driver and is home almost every night, he still calls me once or twice during the day because he needs directions, he's bored and needs someone to talk to or he's simply just checking in.

Best of luck to you and him and there are plenty of us on here for support and advice!

-

Thanks, great ideas! I'd never have thought of a fan. I think he'll love that :)

Unless he's going to tow a u-haul behind his trailer, i suggest be careful how much you pack for hiim. Trucks are small and its not like hes going on vacation. Get to much stuff in there and he won't be able to move around or if he has to slam on the brakes all this stuff he has in the truck could come flying forward and do damage to him and the truck possibly causing a wreck.

Unless he's going to tow a u-haul behind his trailer, i suggest be careful how much you pack for hiim. Trucks are small and its not like hes going on vacation. Get to much stuff in there and he won't be able to move around or if he has to slam on the brakes all this stuff he has in the truck could come flying forward and do damage to him and the truck possibly causing a wreck.

Good point. I think we have a handle on how to save space. I suggested that he use his top bunk as a closet by laying his clean clothes out flat in one garment bag, and the dirty clothes flat in another, then stow his laptop securely between the clothing and the mattress. That should save some cabinet space.

When he is on his own, he will have space under the bunk to stow stuff. Used to keep my dirty clothes in a seal tight bag in there. Above the drivers seat is a small cubby hole and can hold some items. Usually kept snacks there , laptop, and all paper work during the week. Another point that could really help cover him and keep a good idea of income is to keep all paperwork. If he transflos paperwork then i suggest he get a small stapler so he can staple paperwork and transflo reciept together and keep them at home in a a cabinet or drawer somewhere. On occassions they like to play games and say you didnt transflo and thats why you didnt get paid. With the confirmation number and reciept, it will show exactley what time, date and where you did transflo. If he has to send them in instead of transflo then i suggest to make copies of everything to cover himself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread