Trying to get started

Bossman2882

I am working towards getting my cdl class a with hazmat and tanker endorsements. I will be done beginning of march. When should I begin to put in applications? Any ideas on good companies? My ultimate goal down the road is to haul gas or liquid asphalt or even crude oil. Does anyone know the best route for me to take? I'm in Mississippi btw

Hey Boss, welcome to Truckers Forum.

So here are my answers to your questions.

Now.

Not sure.

No.

Sorry, but I'm off my game today, and that is the best I can offer. Good luck to you.

I am working towards getting my cdl class a with hazmat and tanker endorsements. I will be done beginning of march.
study hard, and do not wait for a truck at the school to become empty for your time in it...see one with no student...?? jump in and practice.

When should I begin to put in applications?

as soon as you can, send them out, you may or may not receive any "pre-hire letters" from any of them, but it's a start.

Any ideas on good companies?
you will hear the term.."Mega-Carriers"....those companies are Schneider, Swift, Werner, TMC, Roehl, to name a few, they are pretty much the ones that hire right out of school, but the working conditions can suck at times, so you just "do your time" for about 6 months to 1 year, then look for a better job.

My ultimate goal down the road is to haul gas or liquid asphalt or even crude oil.
those jobs are "typically" more of a local type, in your area. you can get a job at such places, but you NEED road time.

Does anyone know the best route for me to take? I'm in Mississippi btw

as mentioned, study, practice, apply for OTR, do your time for "up to" 1 year, stay accident, ticket free, and it should work out for you.

best of luck to you.

I'm really lucky at the school I am at. There are only seven students there. Now on the down side there is only one truck because the other one is in the shop but we do get a lot of one on one time.

I have a somewhat stupid question. I heard averitt hires only mustaches or clean shaven. I have a full beard. It's not dirty and it stay well trimmed. Are there a lot of companies that do this? Am I going to have to shave?

I have a somewhat stupid question. I heard averitt hires only mustaches or clean shaven. I have a full beard. It's not dirty and it stay well trimmed. Are there a lot of companies that do this? Am I going to have to shave?

No.Some like Averitt and some food service types with uniforms do. I think the blue and white China wagon's do not allow facial hair either.

With some (not all) hazmat loads you must be clean shaven... must be able to get a good seal on respirators.
I know that there are jobs in the ND oil patch.... however housing is nearly non-existent & it gets damn cold up there!

Hazmat + tanker= no beard, most of the time. When I was pullin tankers 95% of the chemical plants I went to in south Louisiana and around Texas City Tx were no beard, no goatee.

Lots of WalMart Private Fleet drivers have beards. Most, in fact. Some even have long hair. Now, about the men..... (just kidding) Men in the WalMart fleet are allowed to have neat beards and long hair. I've seen a couple with beards down to their chests, but they are kept groomed.

For tanker experience, check out Schneider or, if you absolutely must, Prime. I highly recommend Schneider over Prime.

some have already mentioned the beards and staches...but another reason would be for a clean look and professional appearance. to get away from the old days of the dirty, greasy, grimy, smelly driver......

although....

thee ARE STILL smelly drivers out there...!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread