TRUCKER'S STRIKE COMING

We strike around every 30 days or so. This month we are striking from aug 4th thru to the 9th. Parking the truck and heading to The Tail of the Dragon.

TruckingBiker

I'm glad to hear it......I can tell you that Jeff will participate and I'll be right there with him to TRY to do all I can to support it....

I say, BRING IT ON!!!!!!

That's the one! Have you been there?
aefd929c-496d-55e4.jpg

TruckingBiker

Heck NO..I would DIE..I just googled it and got dizzy!
Nice bikes..wayy back when I had a Virago..oh my..loooong time ago :(

Hers is a year newer. Might still get some personalized plates. Probably shouldn't have posted them. Can you edit out the numbers for me?

TruckingBiker

Re: Trucker's Strike Coming ~ Yeah, And Other Fairy Tales Too!

It is sad that the United States government and the citizens have no ownership in their own nation. We have gone from a once great and powerful force on the world stage to a groveling beggar on a street corner, dressed in rags. If it wasn't for our national debt to finance our war machine we would be powerless, and the other countries would storm our borders and take us over.
the "other countries" are already here....

Glenn, I guess you aren't so observant. Ironmanwife doesn't drive, she is the wife of a driver.
i know she is the wife of a trucker, but she can still "strike" with him

Sure. Get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic. That is real smart.
that's what he will get too...

Go ahead brother. After you blow the chicken house and the Revenue Ranger pulls you over to do a level 1 inspection, I will smile and wave as I drive by. :hiya:
yeah, makes no sense in having them chasin' ya with "guns a blazing"...

Many drivers get paid mileage, .xx pennies a mile. And each year they get a raise. Usually .01 penny a mile annually adds up for the 100,000 to 150,000 miles a year the driver completes.

It adds up.

I know, I know, that is only $1,000 to $1,500 a year, but it is way better than a handshake and a kick in the pants, don't you think?
uh...i drove for "pennies per mile"...and i worked for free for many hours too, like many other drivers do each day. and NO $1,000 to $1,500 like you say also means more taxes taken out, i wouldn't be a bit surprised if the take home from that would be under $900....then too do not forget, prices of health coverage go up yearly, and so does SS deductions and other payroll deductions....so in the end, that pay raise just goes back to pay the tax man. what did one actually gain after only getting a penny or two pay raise..???

Why the teamsters used to do that and realistically if we all stuck together they don't have the resources or the man power to. Control it if we all. Stuck it out
Again it will never happen in real life
Only in film

The point is not to get complacent and give up. That's when we are beat. You have only failed when you have given up trying.

it's THAT kind of attitude that IS the RIGHT attitude....no strike ever accomplishes anything in trucking. as long as there is freight to move, and i am available, i will do my job. penny's paying me back...?? i'd have better luck finding those pennies on the ground.

I SAY, NO STRIKE, NO STRIKE, NO STRIKE...!!!!!

You have a thing or two to learn about history. Had it not been for the unions and strikes of the 1930s we would not enjoy what (little) we have today. But strikes are not always about money. We need better working conditions as well (parking - detention/layover pay, etc.). And just because you have it good doesn't mean you should not support those who don't. If the companies have no fear of backlash they will cut out whatever they can to save a buck. You could be next.

You have a thing or two to learn about history. Had it not been for the unions and strikes of the 1930s we would not enjoy what (little) we have today. But strikes are not always about money. We need better working conditions as well (parking - detention/layover pay, etc.). And just because you have it good doesn't mean you should not support those who don't. If the companies have no fear of backlash they will cut out whatever they can to save a buck. You could be next.

oh really...well i'll "clue you in" on something...many years ago there was a strike by the Teamsters against Hasbro. they (the teamsters) thought they had Hasbro by the "coconuts".....

they LOST, and LOST BIG TIME....they lost retiring early, now it went to 62/65 (instead of 25 years and retiring at say 45-50)....they LOST some health care benefits, and a few other things..reason why...?? ALL the freight was sitting in the warehouse, NOT the factory floors...Hasbro had the teamsters "by the coconuts".....

i have NO use for a union, a strike, whatever...we have state and federal labor laws, further, no union can guarantee a striker his job when the strike is over. case in point, NEMF was teamsters. many years ago they pulled a "wildcat strike"....the owner had passenger vans loaded up with drivers, that poured out of those vans and took away all the trailers and trucks, right under the noses of the strikers.....in effect, decertifying the TEAMSTERS....THEY LOST......

i'll NOT strike, i'll work, and laugh at those that walk a picket line....no truckers strike ever turns out any good results, because no enormous amounts of truckers will join such a farce......

you cannot compare what happened then to what will happen now.....or shall i say NOT happen now....if the states are crying poverty, they WILL (and have) closed up rest areas. some states do not have enough space for more truck stops. there are many "NIMBY's" out there that will forbid a new truck stop from being built.

i have been cut from jobs, so what..?? i got another one..!!! companies DO NOT FEAR a truckers strike...wanna know why...?? the economy...there is a whole lotta drivers out there that DO NOT have a job now, that will certainly TAKE YOURS, if you go out on any stupid strike.......you better "chew on that" for a while.....

it's THAT kind of attitude that IS the RIGHT attitude....no strike ever accomplishes anything in trucking. as long as there is freight to move, and i am available, i will do my job. penny's paying me back...?? i'd have better luck finding those pennies on the ground.

I SAY, NO STRIKE, NO STRIKE, NO STRIKE...!!!!!
Strike, Strike, Strike, LOL

oh really...well i'll "clue you in" on something...many years ago there was a strike by the Teamsters against Hasbro. they (the teamsters) thought they had Hasbro by the "coconuts".....

they LOST, and LOST BIG TIME....they lost retiring early, now it went to 62/65 (instead of 25 years and retiring at say 45-50)....they LOST some health care benefits, and a few other things..reason why...?? ALL the freight was sitting in the warehouse, NOT the factory floors...Hasbro had the teamsters "by the coconuts".....

i have NO use for a union, a strike, whatever...we have state and federal labor laws, further, no union can guarantee a striker his job when the strike is over. case in point, NEMF was teamsters. many years ago they pulled a "wildcat strike"....the owner had passenger vans loaded up with drivers, that poured out of those vans and took away all the trailers and trucks, right under the noses of the strikers.....in effect, decertifying the TEAMSTERS....THEY LOST......

i'll NOT strike, i'll work, and laugh at those that walk a picket line....no truckers strike ever turns out any good results, because no enormous amounts of truckers will join such a farce......

you cannot compare what happened then to what will happen now.....or shall i say NOT happen now....if the states are crying poverty, they WILL (and have) closed up rest areas. some states do not have enough space for more truck stops. there are many "NIMBY's" out there that will forbid a new truck stop from being built.

i have been cut from jobs, so what..?? i got another one..!!! companies DO NOT FEAR a truckers strike...wanna know why...?? the economy...there is a whole lotta drivers out there that DO NOT have a job now, that will certainly TAKE YOURS, if you go out on any stupid strike.......you better "chew on that" for a while.....
My friend Glenn, I strongly disagree with you. The teamsters for years have been trying to stop the borders from opening. Im a life long Teamster, and Proud of them. If it were not for the Teamsters, Many will be making $10per hr.

ALL the freight was sitting in the warehouse, NOT the factory floors.

I don't see what that has to do with anything.

we have state and federal labor laws, further,

Actually you don't. Transportation workers are exempt from federal labor laws. SURPRISE!

case in point, NEMF was teamsters. many years ago they pulled a "wildcat strike"....the owner had passenger vans loaded up with drivers, that poured out of those vans and took away all the trailers and trucks, right under the noses of the strikers.....in effect, decertifying the TEAMSTERS....THEY LOST......

Its despicable when scabs basically won't even support the people they are are to make things better for them.

no truckers strike ever turns out any good results, because no enormous amounts of truckers will join such a farce......

Right - too many have your attitude.

there is a whole lotta drivers out there that DO NOT have a job now, that will certainly TAKE YOURS, if you go out on any stupid strike.......you better "chew on that" for a while.....

I don't think there are too many drivers that want a job that don't have one. Most companies are hiring like crazy, as usual. Granted, allot of those jobs suck and don't pay very well, but that is they get for not striking and standing up for their rights.

Nice bikes , I have an 07 Heritage .. We were up on the parkway on Memorial weekend and then again the week of July 4th . Got some good friends that live about 11 miles from Pilot Mountain N.C. that we ride with . We are about 70 miles from the coast of N.C. We try to get up there to ride every chance we get , we love riding the mountains .. We have rode 10 states and just inside Canada so far (Niagra Falls). Been wanting to do Stugis but just haven't had the chance to do it yet ..Be safe and have a great time , Chris

Hey thanks Chris.. Maybe we could hook up some time and ride. Like I said we are headed down to the Dragon on the weekend of the 4th of Aug.. Looking forward to riding the Tail and also the Skyway. Maybe get around to just riding through the gorge on 40 just because I always wanted to do it. Might go on the 911 memorial ride to all the crash sites in Sept..

Nice bikes , I have an 07 Heritage .. We were up on the parkway on Memorial weekend and then again the week of July 4th . Got some good friends that live about 11 miles from Pilot Mountain N.C. that we ride with . We are about 70 miles from the coast of N.C. We try to get up there to ride every chance we get , we love riding the mountains .. We have rode 10 states and just inside Canada so far (Niagra Falls). Been wanting to do Stugis but just haven't had the chance to do it yet ..Be safe and have a great time , Chris

Jimmy Hoffa was just about to institute a huge, nationwide organization and strike that would have included the O/O as well as the Teamsters. He was about to become the biggest power broker in America, maybe the world.

Didn't work out just like he had envisioned. Too bad.

What ever became of Jimmy Hoffa?

As for organized labor, it has always been about wages, benefits and working conditions.

There are those who will pan the labor unions saying that they are a bunch of lazy, dirty, underhanded nogoodniks. That is because of the actions of a few, not the majority. Even in the non union sector you will have lazy, dirty, underhanded nogoodniks. That's just human nature.

The fact will always remain that the good that labor unions accomplish will always be enjoyed by all, even though some will refuse to admit it. The unions set the bar that everyone else strives to meet. Non union employers are compelled to pay higher wages and provide benefits and better working conditions to keep from losing good workers to the union jobs. And there are also non union employers who pay "prevailing wage" to be competitive for government contracts.

Like it or not, unions have helped each and every one of you, whether or not you are part of the brotherhood.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread