New To Trucking Truck buying info needed

MrBusiness

Ok I’m fixing to buy my first semi (yes I have driven them but for other people never owned my own) and I have a question. I need some direction when being an owner operator. I’ve made my decision on a few things such as: DD14 or DD15 Detroit engine, between 2014-2017 yr model, 13 speed, no lower than 3:42 gears, no more than 425,000 miles. And I’m looking at a Freightliner, Western Star, Mack, or 589 Pete.
So which is the best way to go for the money?
Also why does everyone say stay away from International trucks? Is it the ISX Cummins or what?
Please on facts no opinions
Thank you

2016 and up were alot better. Lots of upgrades on those motors. X15's are doing really well so far. If you could get the service records off the truck that would be better. Lots of times used ones are a crapshoot.

I guess the other question is do ya really want to be a o/o? Got a large budget sitting aside for when the motor throws a rod out in the first 6 months?
I had a guy bring in his used truck he only bought 4 months previous and it needed block cut and a new head. Dude had no money, he was relying on some crappy aftermarket 3rd person warranty that deined the claim as it was "preexisting". He walked away from the truck and financial place sent it to the auction. Not sayin its gonna happen to you but sometimes working for a company aint as bad as people make it out to be. I guess the other question is if you have steady work for it. It helps massively if you are mechanically inclined and can deal with alot of the repairs yourself.

You make a great point. That’s one reason I’ve looked into the rig digs and looked for oil samples. I’ve also found some trucks that still had factory warranties on them. And to answer your other question yes I have a lot of work for it. I can actually take my pick from flatbed to reefer and also haul some cattle if I would like. I’m already an o/o but it’s with a hotshot truck. I like the LTL but I’m tired of being a ping pong ball all of the lower 48. And with a semi I have a chance to stay more local except with the bull wagon. I just have the chance to make more money while not staying gone in suck long intervals by being an o/o. But thank you for the great input.

I’m much like the author of this post. I was an oilfield service worker/supervisor/manager in my 39th year. The past 4-5 since I got into my mid-50s I’ve found I’m now the first one laid off when commodity prices drop. I was focused in on finding a truck in the $30-35k range with DD15 with high 400k mileage but recently started hearing multiple sources say the DD is not a practical engine to rebuild. You can do it buy it won’t hold up like the old 60 series. I am kinda on the ISX15 now. May have turbo issues sooner/more often than ya like. I have no idea about Paccars and would like to know the straight poop on them, same for transmissions, 10,23,18 manuals and all automatics. And finally, I was intrigued by a 2016 Mack with an M-Drive but would like to know more about the reliability of Mack engines and if there is a drastic difference in mileage with a Mac vs other setups.
I appreciate any pros out there sharing their advice.

2016 and up were alot better. Lots of upgrades on those motors. X15's are doing really well so far. If you could get the service records off the truck that would be better. Lots of times used ones are a crapshoot.

I guess the other question is do ya really want to be a o/o? Got a large budget sitting aside for when the motor throws a rod out in the first 6 months?
I had a guy bring in his used truck he only bought 4 months previous and it needed block cut and a new head. Dude had no money, he was relying on some crappy aftermarket 3rd person warranty that deined the claim as it was "preexisting". He walked away from the truck and financial place sent it to the auction. Not sayin its gonna happen to you but sometimes working for a company aint as bad as people make it out to be. I guess the other question is if you have steady work for it. It helps massively if you are mechanically inclined and can deal with alot of the repairs yourself.
This kind of scenario is why I went with one of the simplest, cheapest, reasonable condition rigs I could find. There was like 30 things wrong with it that would destroy you paying a shop to fix but I was/am able to do 25 of them myself.

Parts aren't usually that expensive. It's the $100/hr+ labor that gets you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread