Tom Tom or ??

cassiem0221

My husband is looking to buy a GPS Device but we don't know which one to get. They had like 15 different ones at Best Buy.. Anyone have one that they love or even one we need to stay away from? We need a really accurate one that works well.. Please let me know. I hate buying something like that without getting reviews...

Tom Tom is good for most applications, but it doesn't factor in truck routes, low clearances, etc.

If I get a GPS system, it will be CoPilot.

Hubby uses copilot and he loves it. His bother uses Tom TOM and love IT!

I'd say they are both good

Well if Tom Tom doesn't factor in low clearances and truck routes then I would say that it is not a good device for a Trucker! Thanks for the heads up.. That would have been bad.. I could see my Hubby on an interstate letting the air out of his bags to try to get under an overpass! :)

Anything by Garmin is excellent. I use a Garmin GPS18 which is available at Best Buy for $129.00. You can read a review I wrote about it here Life on the Road - Trucking News Blog » Blog Archive » Garmin GPS-18 (I am a staff writer for that site)

This is a device which consists of a "hocky puck" style antennas that attaches to your windshield on a suction base. It has settings for anything from Motorcyle to Truck to Motor home, for routing purposes, and the "puck plugs into your laptops USB port. The program come on a DVD with over 5 million waypoints and routes in the U.S., Canada and PR. For the money, an excellent value.

WOW! MexicoTrucker... That's a pretty cool device and it is CHEAP compared to others! How did you find this one? Why don't I ever find the good stuff?

My drivers are mostly local but one or two have GPS... I am not sure what kind though. One drivers calls his the bitch in the box because it has a female voice....LOL

WOW! MexicoTrucker... That's a pretty cool device and it is CHEAP compared to others! How did you find this one? Why don't I ever find the good stuff?

Nothing to it. I knew what I wanted, knew it had to be out there. Did a Google and found it at a Best Buy in Phoenix (after checking out the store stock online)

Strange thing is, the employees in the audio section of BB did not even now they carried them and was trying to sell me a Microsoft Streets crapola.

This program has been fantastic and has kept me out of trouble with low overpasses. It has a truck specific setting in preferences. But as with anything, a little common sense helps. Nothing is perfect.

Anything by Garmin is excellent. I use a Garmin GPS18 which is available at Best Buy for $129.00. You can read a review I wrote about it here Life on the Road - Trucking News Blog » Blog Archive » Garmin GPS-18 (I am a staff writer for that site)

This is a device which consists of a "hocky puck" style antennas that attaches to your windshield on a suction base. It has settings for anything from Motorcyle to Truck to Motor home, for routing purposes, and the "puck plugs into your laptops USB port. The program come on a DVD with over 5 million waypoints and routes in the U.S., Canada and PR. For the money, an excellent value.

Does it look like a rader detector? Will it get you pulled over for looking like a fuzz buster is what I was wondering.

Thanks

This is the only external part except for the suction cup mount that this "hockey puck" attaches to, which you don't have to use.

The software resides on your laptop, this plugs into the USB port and you are ready to ride.

Satellite acquisition time is less than 15 seconds.

As I said, a great and cost effective alternative to the portable GPS units that cost 3x as much.
View attachment 11

Ok that is cool.. There isn't a huge antenna or anything.. I am thinking about getting one of these for my hubbys birthday.

has any one used microsofts streets and trips ?

Used it years ago and in my opinion, it has too much unnecessary "fluff" as is typical with Microsoft products. In addition, it doesn't have truck specific routing.

If you want a "common" system, the Delorme is a much better choice. But for the trucking needs, I stand by my opinion of Garmin GPS-18. For the money and all the features you receive, it is unbeatable

So far, yahoo maps works just fine for me. :)

With my laptop, I can get online virtually anywhere and I will just check yahoo maps or rand mcnally, or maybe even mapquest.

I like google maps myself. Those have done really well for me. Mapquest always get me lost without fail.

Yeah, mapquest is by far not the best, but there have been times where it has worked out better for me.

gues i am old fashioned. i just use my handy dandy map book, cb and cell phone for directions. forget the qualcomm directions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread