thinking about trucking

Good Day All
Well I lost my job last month after 16 years with a company make orthotics and prostheses, trying to figure out what to do for a living. Looked at a game warden but Michigan just laid off 4000 police, firefighter and so on, so that did not sound good. Thought about home inspections to many people are doing that in this area. The only job that sounds like I will always get employment would be truck driving. But there is only a few things I don't like about it is that my wife works 3 shift as a store manager and we have 2 young boys. As I read this forum and see most people say they are away from their families for weeks at a time and that would not be cool with the wife and kids. Trust me I can be away from them for weeks at a time they can't be away from me for that long. lol. So I am still looking at schools US Truck Driving School sounds the best right now, but still looking and thinking about it. As they say if Mommas not happy nobody is happy.

Can you find work in your current field of expertise in another location?
If moving is out of the question, if you found something within a few hundred miles, you could work away from home and commute on weekends and holidays.
That would give you the feel of being a truckdriver without having to actually do this crap.

hi welcome to the forum...I sincerely hope a new career goes well for you but go back and read between the lines you wrote.....I am not trying to steer you away but read what you posted.....think about your career change long and hard......if she is not on board you have to decide if it is worth it. Best of luck and welcome to the group...If you do peruse the career please post your progress in this section Truck Driving Schools It is always a great help to get a clear idea of what truck driving school is like for the next newcomer to the arena. Again welcome to the forum.

I never thought of it that way. Not a bad idea. The owners of most O and P labs are not there for the patients they are there for the money. For ex. when you lose a leg most insureances give the clinicain two check sockets ( clear plastic) to see if the fit is right if they fit is wrong or uncomfortable they make the leg anyways because they dont get paid for a third socket. So even tho your thought was a good one the answer is no I really dont want to be in the field anymore.

Welcome to Truckers Forum thinkingabouttrucking.

As for advice about getting into trucking, I am afraid I cannot be of much help, as I kind of fell into it when I gave up turning wrenches a couple years ago. I have held a commercial driver's license since before they were called CDL's, and was able to b/s my way into a pretty good job based on my past experience and work history.

You may be able to find local or regional work after you have gone through the training and first couple of years driving over the road.

Best of luck!

I never thought of it that way. Not a bad idea. The owners of most O and P labs are not there for the patients they are there for the money. For ex. when you lose a leg most insureances give the clinicain two check sockets ( clear plastic) to see if the fit is right if they fit is wrong or uncomfortable they make the leg anyways because they dont get paid for a third socket. So even tho your thought was a good one the answer is no I really dont want to be in the field anymore.

As a wannabe writer, I am not prone to plagiarism, but I stole this from another thread.
This is a reply from bigyellowpete to someone's question about trucking companies.
This is not exactly what you inquired about, but there may be something in there that fits your situation.

[In truth, every large company is going to have both happy, and unhappy drivers working there. There is no such thing as "one size fits all" in this industry, or in any other I think. The reason you see mostly bashing going on in this, and any other forum, is because the happy people don't feel the need to let anyone know how they feel. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and it's also the only one you will hear.

There are a couple drivers here working for big companies that seem to be happy and content, but they don't seem to always mention who it is they work for. Probably to simply avoid bashing of the company being directed at them as well.

The most important thing a new, or experienced driver, should do when choosing a company to work for, is to take your time and ask a lot of questions when you interview potential employers. Don't feel pressured to make a snap decision regarding where to work, chances are they will still be hiring tomorrow, next week, and next month as well. Talk to drivers that are currently working for the company. Have a look at their equipment that is out operating on the roads, not just the shiny new one they might bring to a recruiting seminar. Make sure you understand any contract that they ask you to sign, and read it before you sign. If the company won't give you time to take the contract out and review it for 24 hours, it is probably not a good deal for you. Before I sign any legal agreement with anyone, I would take it and get advice from an attorney, or someone that understands contract law and is not a party to the agreement. This goes for company drivers signing agreements to repay school loans, or lease/op agreements as well. It is insane that you would enter into a contractual commitment for two, three, four years without getting independent advice from someone on your behalf. ]

If your wife and kids can't handle you being away from home, this IS NOT the job for you. You have to feed the family, but I would do this as a last resort.

Sometimes it can save a relationship. When I was in orientation, I overheard one guy saying he might get divorced because he was going otr, but another said he was going otr to keep from getting divorced, lol

My wife and I have a strong marriage he support each other on what we want to do in live. Don't get me wrong, right now is not a good time for me to get into trucking. My wife is trying to transfer to a different store/shift not because of me but she can not stand 3rd shift. She leaves the house at 9 every night and gets home around 9 or 10 in the morning, she gets something to eat and goes on line for an hour and off to bed she goes till 8. She says she is missing out on a lot off stuff like day light. She has been looking for the last 6 months for a different shift but nothing as of yet. When she finds one she is alright for me to go otr ( she might not want me around) My 9 year old thinks that I will get in a car accident and my 11 year old says do it. So like my user name Thinking About Trucking.

kids need the touch of their father
wrestling,horseplay,a hand to cross the street
they crave it
being away from home is a dumb idea
but nice try
you need more imagination

think about starting your own business
there's always room for one more
there has to be something with your background
geriatric industry is huge
pet industry is huge

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/browse.aspx

Ya know, I been thinkin about this orthotics and protheses thing.
Maybe that could transfer over into eyes and with a little practice and experimentation(or as the scientists say-R&D) a fella could get into brain transplants and other vital organs.
Trucking companies would like being able to rebuild older drivers.
This whole bionic thing could take off.

lol ok people let's move along...we have had fun with thinkingabouttruckings career now he is looking to us for dependable advice. God help him there! :eek:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread