The Wind

SueAnn

Be safe guys, much love
air-clipart-blowing-wind-15 (1).gif

Since windy days become more and more each year, I wanted to know if anyone has a definitive way to calculate if the wind is strong enough to pull over.

I've heard and seen some really incredible things the wind is responsible for. Thoughts anyone?

Since windy days become more and more each year, I wanted to know if anyone has a definitive way to calculate if the wind is strong enough to pull over.

I've heard and seen some really incredible things the wind is responsible for. Thoughts anyone?
AFAIK the law kinda leaves it up to yer own judgement, but if anything happens its yer ass

Pretty sure thats how they look at it in Wyoming

The bridge over the Chesapeake Bay kicks into limited wind restriction at 40 mph...that means no empties. At 50 mph they shut it down to all trucks below 64K gross

That might give ya some idea

i would either listen to the radio, that had regular weather/traffic reports, or sometimes the cb radio, or any Amber Alert type signs that had warnings about high winds. otherwise, i'd just drive on thru.

AFAIK the law kinda leaves it up to yer own judgement, but if anything happens its yer ass

Pretty sure thats how they look at it in Wyoming

The bridge over the Chesapeake Bay kicks into limited wind restriction at 40 mph...that means no empties. At 50 mph they shut it down to all trucks below 64K gross

That might give ya some idea
Ya that helps. A couple years ago, in Wyoming, I was talking to a cop and he said that if a truck flips over because of the wind and they are on the road, Wyoming throws the book at them. I said, good to know. lol

The wind has always been my question that I can't get a definitive answer too. If I call or send a message to the office that I'm pulling over because I like to drive with both sides touching the pavement, I get the attitude. If it lifts the truck, I pull over.

There's so many variables to the equation, weight of load, truck, wind speed, weather conditions, etc., I wouldn't go over the Chesapeke Bay bridge with winds at 40 mph! I've been over that bridge.

I put a kite out the right window and judge the wind by how high it goes.

Depends. Gusts are worse than a steady wind, especially if its a cross wind. Running a light trailer is worse than loaded...

Last edited:
It was a few years back but a truck was blown over the Chesapeake bridge. Not surprising really.
A few years back an American amigo got blown over on the Burlington Skyway bridge notorious for high winds. Usually they shut it down before it get too bad but, I guess this poor bastard got blown over before the cut off time.

Probably a decade ago I shut it down in NY state because of high winds. I know NY is not known for high winds but it was that day.

I damn near shut it down rolling across Iowa looking at the guy in front of me with trailer skirts and the truck was hugging the line on the right and the trailer was near the striped line. Mine was doing the same but I had no trailer skirts and I was set to head south in about 20 miles and have the wind at my back.

38 mph will tip over an empty van at 65mph.

Thats what they tell us here.
Are "They" Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters?

At what wind speed will a truck blow over?
It maybe a reason to bring back Mythbusters for one episode only

Reactions: AK7
Are "They" Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters?

At what wind speed will a truck blow over?
It maybe a reason to bring back Mythbusters for one episode only
No. Walmart.

Where are you coming up with it that windy days are increasing?

I've heard this but I've never seen any facts.

Where are you coming up with it that windy days are increasing?

I've heard this but I've never seen any facts.
I haven't seen any statistics but am noticing it more when I'm driving. I'm in MA, empty. Going to pickup ONE skid and going back to almost Windsor, ON. I'll be fighting it all the way back. Especially with no weight.

It's something. I don't want to become airborne and land with some cop writing out tickets for me.. :rolleyes-80:
Yeah if you're going to be flying around in the wind it's better to land in a crowd of midgets singing the Lollipop song and telling you to follow the yellow brick road.

Or in your case since you're Canadian, it's "follow the only road". 😁

Yeah if you're going to be flying around in the wind it's better to land in a crowd of midgets singing the Lollipop song and telling you to follow the yellow brick road.

Or in your case since you're Canadian, it's "follow the only road". 😁
I could ride the horse of many colours back. I like the purple one. That would be fun.

And actually, the only road is 2 lanes, governed and under construction! It's a slow ride home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread