The Stench of California

Sinister

pari animositate
I'd swear the last two weeks I can smell smoke.

When I was working last week I thought it was just inside the truck and maybe this Cascadia was going to burst into flame. But I made it through the week without any such incendiary display.

Then I noticed it at home, and thought maybe one of my kids just hadn't bathed in a while. Kids do that sometimes. They just forget to bathe, or outright neglect to. It's similar to when they mysteriously and randomly forget to flush the toilet after taking a massive dump. Ah, the joys of parenting!

But now, I'm back at work again and everywhere I go, I smell smoke. Sometimes it's worse than others, but it's omnipresent. Coming west on 94 through Minnesota today I could definitely see a haze across the countryside. But to be fair, it was 90 degrees and humid today. This is the temperature at which fat people start tipping over here in the Midwest. It can be pretty stifling. It's not as bad as the humidity in other places like Florida for example, where your body parts stick to parts you didn't even know you had, or worse yet, stick to other people's parts. I've seen it happen. But the humidity in the Midwest can get kind of rough.

I thought maybe I was having a two week long stroke. That's possible, right?

At some point today I realized I'd been hearing about wildfires in California. It's nothing unusual as they happen all the time, right?

But I'd also heard these were pretty bad again this year. But media hyperbole is also nothing new.

Then I remembered there is at least one mountain range the smoke would have to travel across, as well as half a continent, and I thought there's no way in hell I'm smelling the California fires.

Then I realized that there's thing thing called the "internet" or something and I should be able to look something up on the subject.

Sure enough, I found a website. And it seems to me that very little of the United States is actually not affected.

I might just be smelling the California fires.

Thanks for spreading your stench nationwide, California. It's bad enough you splatter the country with rampant moral bankruptcy, and bombard us artillery style with your radical communist politics from the massive Big Bertha type shit cannon you call Hollywood, but now we have to breathe your filth too.

Can't you just give us produce, and shut up?

Click on the "Fire and Smoke" map on the middle-left section of the page, and witness for yourself the blue blob consuming your air.

Lightning and severe drought conditions... yer gonna get some fire.
obvious GIF

I'd swear the last two weeks I can smell smoke.

When I was working last week I thought it was just inside the truck and maybe this Cascadia was going to burst into flame. But I made it through the week without any such incendiary display.

Then I noticed it at home, and thought maybe one of my kids just hadn't bathed in a while. Kids do that sometimes. They just forget to bathe, or outright neglect to. It's similar to when they mysteriously and randomly forget to flush the toilet after taking a massive dump. Ah, the joys of parenting!

But now, I'm back at work again and everywhere I go, I smell smoke. Sometimes it's worse than others, but it's omnipresent. Coming west on 94 through Minnesota today I could definitely see a haze across the countryside. But to be fair, it was 90 degrees and humid today. This is the temperature at which fat people start tipping over here in the Midwest. It can be pretty stifling. It's not as bad as the humidity in other places like Florida for example, where your body parts stick to parts you didn't even know you had, or worse yet, stick to other people's parts. I've seen it happen. But the humidity in the Midwest can get kind of rough.

I thought maybe I was having a two week long stroke. That's possible, right?

At some point today I realized I'd been hearing about wildfires in California. It's nothing unusual as they happen all the time, right?

But I'd also heard these were pretty bad again this year. But media hyperbole is also nothing new.

Then I remembered there is at least one mountain range the smoke would have to travel across, as well as half a continent, and I thought there's no way in hell I'm smelling the California fires.

Then I realized that there's thing thing called the "internet" or something and I should be able to look something up on the subject.

Sure enough, I found a website. And it seems to me that very little of the United States is actually not affected.

I might just be smelling the California fires.

Thanks for spreading your stench nationwide, California. It's bad enough you splatter the country with rampant moral bankruptcy, and bombard us artillery style with your radical communist politics from the massive Big Bertha type shit cannon you call Hollywood, but now we have to breathe your filth too.

Can't you just give us produce, and shut up?

Click on the "Fire and Smoke" map on the middle-left section of the page, and witness for yourself the blue blob consuming your air.

I smelled campfire smell yesterday. I just assumed someone nearby was burning stuff. I didn't smell it at the house when I was working on the barn window. Just caught the scent a couple times when I was riding to Ass Hardware and back.

But according to that smoke map I'm right in the middle of a narrow band of it.

I smelled campfire smell yesterday. I just assumed someone nearby was burning stuff. I didn't smell it at the house when I was working on the barn window. Just caught the scent a couple times when I was riding to Ass Hardware and back.

But according to that smoke map I'm right in the middle of a narrow band of it.
Once on Dual Survival they were discussing a signal.fire but it was windy..

Cody decided they should be proactive so he started this big smoky fire but the wind carried all the smoke away..

Dave Canterbury said back home if I smell a fire Im not gonna think somebodys lost in the woods...

I'm gonna think somebody started a damn fire 🔥

Gosh is that what I got look forward tommorow..

Delivering in Hayward off Santana Drive off 580 like 10/20 miles south of Oakland according to Road Atlas
nawww, I was just in oakland at 7pm PST it was clear as a bell blue skies.

if you have any issues getting close to hayward give me a PM ill check messages if you need a spot to hold up that doesnt smell like pee or cost an arm and a leg to hang out at.

if you have any issues getting close to hayward give me a PM ill check messages if you need a spot to hold up that doesnt smell like pee or cost an arm and a leg to hang out at.
I suppose this makes sense. Toward the coast the prevailing winds are going to push the smoke eastward, the fires are more inland, and the only stench you'll have to deal with is that of human feces and urine that it's perfectly okay to deposit in the street.

Here in the Midwest it rained like hell last night and this morning and there is noticeably less smoke stench.

Mother nature has seen fit to give us back our pure, clean air full only of cow farts.

Its a good day in the Midwest.

I suppose this makes sense. Toward the coast the prevailing winds are going to push the smoke eastward, the fires are more inland, and the only stench you'll have to deal with is that of human feces and urine that it's perfectly okay to deposit in the street.

Here in the Midwest it rained like hell last night and this morning and there is noticeably less smoke stench.

Mother nature has seen fit to give us back our pure, clean air full only of cow farts.

Its a good day in the Midwest.
Apparently you're avoiding PEElot truckstops in the Midwest, where it is required to pee and poop on the lot in order to qualify for free parking...

I made it okay currently at the Loves in Corning taking my 10..

This Sierra Pacific heavy 79334 and best In could get my trailer is 33600 with half tank..

Drives sitting at 32100

Gonna probably be stopping every 3/4 hundred miles for 60/70 gallons..

After that front came thru Omaha earlier, the smoke follow a few hours later. It had been hanging off to the west where it was only noticeable as the sun set. It has really shortened twilight, 15 minutes after the sun hit the horizon I needed a flashlight to inspect cars, instead of the usual 45 minutes or so.

After that front came thru Omaha earlier, the smoke follow a few hours later. It had been hanging off to the west where it was only noticeable as the sun set. It has really shortened twilight, 15 minutes after the sun hit the horizon I needed a flashlight to inspect cars, instead of the usual 45 minutes or so.
I didn't smell the smoke till Reno...

Last week skies in North Dakota and Montana were already Hazy due to Drift..

The Donner Pass "usually" smells like one of those Mirror Hangar Tree Jobs .
Nope today it Smelled like a FIRE and Haze ya could chip a tooth on

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread