Trucking News: The freight-rollercoaster continues for trucking

Mike

The Outbound Tender Rejection Index (OTRI) pushed above 16% for the second time in 2020 last week, after being as low as 2.5% in early May, which was the lowest value seen since the index was created in March 2018. To put it in perspective, the highest value recorded for the national index that measures the rate at which carriers reject their electronic load requests from shippers was 26.8% in March 2018 when carriers were taking advantage of an overheated spot market. What are the odds we reach similar levels in 2020?

When the initial shutdown of the nation’s economy began in March, daily freight volumes surged to all-time highs, with the Outbound Tender Volume Index (OTVI) topping 13,000 for the first time in its two-year history, and tender rejection rates were higher than in all of 2019, exceeding 19%. No one anticipated volumes and subsequently rejection rates would return to something resembling the panic-induced shipping spree in March.

10-4. So obviously a higher rejection rate indicates less desperation on the part of carriers. Which is due to a strong market with high demand for capacity.

Is the rejection rate the part where the carrier says "no" until the shipper agrees to pay enough?

The tender rejection is from contract freight numbers. Shippers have X loads, all under contract with carriers, and X amount of those loads don't get picked up because those carriers were unable to cover the loads. Good indicator of where the spot market rates are heading.

The tender rejection is from contract freight numbers. Shippers have X loads, all under contract with carriers, and X amount of those loads don't get picked up because those carriers were unable to cover the loads. Good indicator of where the spot market rates are heading.
I've noticed a "slowdown" with alot of our "regular" customers although I did haul some Anderson Windows afew weeks ago..

Been alot more loadboard and broker stuff different locations...

2nd time going east this month and those are the only 2 I've done since coming back..

Sits on the otherhand not as bad as afew months ago seem to get me another load within a day wheras for awhile there I was getting a full reset between loads n arguing over layover pay which they only actually paid twice

I've noticed a "slowdown" with alot of our "regular" customers although I did haul some Anderson Windows afew weeks ago..

2nd time going east this month and those are the only 2 I've done since coming back..

Sits on the otherhand not as bad as afew months ago seem to get me another load within a day wheras for awhile there I was getting a full reset between loads n arguing over layover pay which they only actually paid twice
If you are pulling a dry van and sitting at all, I would be questioning the company as to why. It is super busy at this point and the rates are really bouncing back.

you could make millions moving people out of lala land :D. there flying out of here. though the funny thing is houses out here are selling like hot cakes. why i dunno

If you are pulling a dry van and sitting at all, I would be questioning the company as to why. It is super busy at this point and the rates are really bouncing back.
I was talking about afew months ago...

Remember it was busy at first then once stores and D/C's restocked it was slow because of the lockdowns

As of recent I've been moving steady but alot more Broker and CH Robinson stuff and Grocery Wharehouses wheras prior to lockdowns we had alot more customer loads..

That tells me our main customers have slowed down so they using Loadboard and CH Robinson stuff just to keep us moving..

But I'm moving steadily compared to height of lockdowns ..

But they are starting Lockdowns again in many places so it could revert back to April slowness again

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread