Test soon

Jbay3

hey guys. New here just a few questions. I work for the railroad so I got my B so I could jump in seniority to get a better job. Well they changed stuff and now if I wanna keep my spot I need an
"A restricted"? I just need to be able to drive dump truck and 28ft airbrake trailer. That's what I've been practicing on and will take the test in.
I got a few questions. On the truck with the dual tires. Is there a special name for that kind of rim? Or the space between the tires.? I remember when I got my B the instructor said I should know it and a yr later I forgot.
2nd the book says making a left turn into a 2 lane rd u should take the inside lane then make ur way to the right. Is that even with a trailer?
I didn't have to go under a bridge for my B but I know I will for the A bc of the route I know they will take me on. If there if a bridge that's not labeled is there a correct way to tell them u know the truck will be ok if they ask?
Thanks for the help sorry if these are stupid questions.

hey guys. New here just a few questions. I work for the railroad so I got my B so I could jump in seniority to get a better job. Well they changed stuff and now if I wanna keep my spot I need an
"A restricted"? I just need to be able to drive dump truck and 28ft airbrake trailer. That's what I've been practicing on and will take the test in.
I got a few questions. On the truck with the dual tires. Is there a special name for that kind of rim? Or the space between the tires.? I remember when I got my B the instructor said I should know it and a yr later I forgot.
2nd the book says making a left turn into a 2 lane rd u should take the inside lane then make ur way to the right. Is that even with a trailer?
I didn't have to go under a bridge for my B but I know I will for the A bc of the route I know they will take me on. If there if a bridge that's not labeled is there a correct way to tell them u know the truck will be ok if they ask?
Thanks for the help sorry if these are stupid questions.

As far as the shorty trailer and air brakekes ya need a Class A...

If just Dump Truck a Class B with air brakes test will suffice...

But if ya going that far already go the xtra mile for Class A ...opens up much more opportunity...

As for the written test dont think too hard on it and confuse yourself in the process..

The Dmv standard is multiple choice...

Now what ya do is read the question than go through all choices..

Look it boils down to common sense...

What makes sense is the exact answer like 9 out of ten...

If ya study hardcore and get all nervous thats a sure failure in that only serves to confuse ya more

A restricted, I believe is automatic transmission only. If you can test in a standard, your CDL should not be restricted. Unless the restriction is for something else I don't know about.

anytime you make a left turn into 2 or more lanes, you always take the closest lane. The only time that doesn't apply is when there are two or more left turn lanes. Then you follow the lane you were in. If you were in the right of two lanes, then you take the second lane. If you were in the left, then you take the first lane.

After you complete your turn, then you signal and move right or else just stay in your lane.

Same for right turns as well.

left_turn.gif

The turn is simply extending the road you are on, but at an angle to the direction you were just travelling. You don't change lanes just because you turned.

Not real sure on the rest of your questions but your turn question is aimple. Always take the right most turn lane (or a significant portion of it). You have a huge blind spot there and the only way to control it is to block it out. This goes for right or left hand turns. You can lay eyes on everything to your left.

Not real sure on the rest of your questions but your turn question is aimple. Always take the right most turn lane (or a significant portion of it). You have a huge blind spot there and the only way to control it is to block it out. This goes for right or left hand turns. You can lay eyes on everything to your left.
Actually, MND nailed this one. If you're making a left turn, go into the left lane...the one closest to you, unless,.as he said, there are multiple left turn lanes. In that case, as with multiple right turn lanes, take the start lane that will make the turn the widest and follow it around to the corresponding lane. The outside of the radius is almost always the best for trucks. This is for testing purposes.

Once you get out in a truck, do what's logical for the situation you're currently looking at. Most times, the right lane is the preferred choice.

@Tazz makes a very valid point though.

If you are making a left turn and there are two lanes, take the right lane.
Like wise, if you are making a right turn, take the right lane too. You WILL be swinging and going long to make the right turn, but you can do it much safer by having the traffic on your left in relatively plain view.

Actually, MND nailed this one. If you're making a left turn, go into the left lane...the one closest to you, unless,.as he said, there are multiple left turn lanes. In that case, as with multiple right turn lanes, take the start lane that will make the turn the widest and follow it around to the corresponding lane. The outside of the radius is almost always the best for trucks. This is for testing purposes.

Once you get out in a truck, do what's logical for the situation you're currently looking at. Most times, the right lane is the preferred choice.
If you take the "left" lane of a two lane right turn you have no control of your blind spot. Better to take the tighter (widen as much as you can but never leave a cars width because yes Barbie or Ken Snotbox will try it) right hand lane and keep everyone in view until you start your turn.

Now there are times you will not have the four lanes you need (if you ever notice you need a combo that adds to four lanes to turn one of these things) and you going to have to sacrifice some of that blind spot. However stay as straight as you can and watch it like a hawk.

Bicyclists, motor cycles, and pedestrians will never pay attention to the flashing light.

Thanks guys. Just to clearify I will be leaving from a parking lot 1 left turn lane n turning left into 2 lanes. I drove it yesterday and with the curb at the exit I just don't see making that inside lane without cutting towards on coming cars. I'm only asking to be sure bc when I got my B the instructor told me but now I'll have a trailer

Your driving the trailer. So yeah your truck will enter the right lane as you turn but you are correct a single turn lane by law should end in the furthest left lane then merge right.

Your driving the trailer. So yeah your truck will enter the right lane as you turn but you are correct a single turn lane by law should end in the furthest left lane then merge right.
That's what I said on left turns.

Jbay.. Go ahead and go toward traffic across from you. To get the trailer around smoothly, go past the lane you want, keeping a straight line and then crank it around so the power unit buttonhooks into your desired lane. Watch the trailer make a smooth radius in your mirror.

Wait a minute now on a Right turn ya want the left most lane...

Example ever come out of Chicago and stop at the TA in Morris...

Many guys just setttle the curb lane...

Then cars stack up left of ya and ya gotta make the swing

Wait a minute now on a Right turn ya want the left most lane...

Example ever come out of Chicago and stop at the TA in Morris...

Many guys just setttle the curb lane...

Then cars stack up left of ya and ya gotta make the swing
Yep and you box them out on the side you can see. If you take the left your dragging your trailer through the right lane that is not yours.

Yep and you box them out on the side you can see. If you take the left your dragging your trailer through the right lane that is not yours.

Okay @Tazz whenever multiple turn lanes are available ya want the outer most...

If a Left turn that shall be the right most turn lane...

On a Right you want the Left most turn lane so the trailer can just follow without smashing cars

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope but drive how you wish. You are letting cars into your blind spot, while you are encroaching on their lane.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread