• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Swifty got fired

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Lost trucker takes destructive turnaround in Bellco Credit Union parking lot in Spring Township | Regional: Berks - Home

The credit union's surveillance cameras captured what happened in between. The big rig's tire blew after it careened over a concrete light post. Then, around the corner of the branch, cameras showed the truck smack into the roof over the drive thru. Another view showed the truck airborne as debris came raining down.

:beep: :swerve: :bonk:

Who you calling sweet????? :)

You. View attachment 18926

And its cool. Anyone who has ever read my blog knows how I feel about Fed Ex drivers. And now, I have become one. Sadly, although, I will say, I definitely perk up on payday! :)

Blog? You should link it in your signature so we can go check it out once in a while.

Oh, and I think you are an exception to the FedWrex rule. You seem to have more going on than the average driver there.

View attachment 18927
View attachment 18926View attachment 18927

Just wondering out loud...How many of you sophomores or juniors are willing to train the new drivers? How many of you that would, would do it if there was not extra pay involved?

I consider myself a "senior" driver. But I would not entertain the idea of working as a trainer, even for twice the money. And I would never do it like some companies do, where the trainer and trainee run as a team.

Ain't no ****ing way I would be in the bunk while some greenhorn is at the wheel. This is what happens when they "train" this way:

1736d1265520173-werner-student-driver-involved-utah-crash-werner-wreck-1.jpg

1738d1265520184-werner-student-driver-involved-utah-crash-werner-wreck-2.jpg

1737d1265520179-werner-student-driver-involved-utah-crash-werner-wreck-3.jpg

This accident (is it really an accident?) happened just before dawn. The trainer was asleep in the bunk and the trainee got on I-15 Northbound, going South, somewhere around Cedar City, UT. He drove along for 10 or 15 miles before hitting the car head on.

Yeah, trainers with 6 months experience training n00bs. What a great concept.

This accident (is it really an accident?) happened just before dawn. The trainer was asleep in the bunk and the trainee got on I-15 Northbound, going South, somewhere around Cedar City, UT. He drove along for 10 or 15 miles before hitting the car head on.

Yeah, trainers with 6 months experience training n00bs. What a great concept.

That's beyond a "rookie mistake". That's like something a complete ****ing moron would do.

When I was at orientation at Covenant Transport, I was amazed by some of the stuff they covered in "class", like freakin' map reading?? Who the hell can't read a map? I knew how to read maps when I was a child.

The one that I have not figured out yet, how CR England can have 2 students and one trainer in a truck running OTR. I actually talked to one a few months back, and could not get a straight answer.

The top bunk has a safety net, too. I don't believe it's a DOT (FMCSR) violation to have someone in the top bunk in a moving truck. It IS a Swift safety violation.

If I got caught in the sleeper while a trainee was driving I would have been immediately fired. Even if it wasn't company policy it would have been mine. No way I'm sleeping while a rookie drives.

The one that I have not figured out yet, how CR England can have 2 students and one trainer in a truck running OTR. I actually talked to one a few months back, and could not get a straight answer.

It follows the same logic that causes those idiots to think it is OK to flip a u-turn on one of those emergency vehicle crossovers on the interstate median. I actually saw one do just that West of Ellensburg a while back.

FROM THE FREAKIN' RIGHT LANE RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME AS I WAS IN THE LEFT LANE ABOUT TO PASS THE ****BRAIN!

And the next exit complete with an overpass and a return on ramp was only a half mile away.

Now CR England is a considerably smaller company than Swift, and I see far more examples of total incompetence from them than Swift.

Like this:
View attachment 18928

And as I walked by the dimwit looked me square in the eye and said, "Heh, I just did that!"

Really?

Moron.
View attachment 18928

They are supposed to know the basics of how to conduct a truck down the road safely when they get their CDLs. That's what state testing is supposed to check before issuing the CDL. The company trainer's job is to teach company policy, paperwork and procedure. The trainer's job is to get a new driver ready to run a solo truck. At some point, the trainee has to be allowed to do that while still with the trainer. If the trainer is babysitting the trainee the entire time, the noob will not learn how to problem-solve for himself.

The actual mechanics of driving are really not that complicated. If a noob can't do it after a couple of weeks on the truck, it's pretty likely he won't ever be able to get it. A new driver has to be turned loose at some point. I, personally, would rather that be done while he still has another, more experienced, driver immediately available when there are questions. If a potential trainer doesn't think a "rookie" should be allowed to drive "solo" with a trainer in the bunk, then perhaps it's a good idea for that potential trainer to forget about it.

Every last one of us was still a noob when we drove solo that first time. I was happy to have my mentor sleeping in the bunk and available when I needed him. I would have been irritated and more inclined to make mistakes if he'd been babysitting me the entire time, telling me every move to make.

They are supposed to know the basics of how to conduct a truck down the road safely when they get their CDLs. That's what state testing is supposed to check before issuing the CDL. The company trainer's job is to teach company policy, paperwork and procedure. The trainer's job is to get a new driver ready to run a solo truck. At some point, the trainee has to be allowed to do that while still with the trainer. If the trainer is babysitting the trainee the entire time, the noob will not learn how to problem-solve for himself.

The actual mechanics of driving are really not that complicated. If a noob can't do it after a couple of weeks on the truck, it's pretty likely he won't ever be able to get it. A new driver has to be turned loose at some point. I, personally, would rather that be done while he still has another, more experienced, driver immediately available when there are questions. If a potential trainer doesn't think a "rookie" should be allowed to drive "solo" with a trainer in the bunk, then perhaps it's a good idea for that potential trainer to forget about it.

Every last one of us was still a noob when we drove solo that first time. I was happy to have my mentor sleeping in the bunk and available when I needed him. I would have been irritated and more inclined to make mistakes if he'd been babysitting me the entire time, telling me every move to make.

You're giving the rookies too much credit. It's not every day that intelligent people decide to get into trucking. The megafleets have chased most of the intelligent folks off to better pastures, and they've exhausted the supply of intelligent new entrants to the industry to the point they're happy just to get somebody who can pass a drug test.

Sure, some newbs with a brain still show up from time to time, having been driven out of other careers that require logical thought processes, but mostly they're just a bunch of morons who don't even know how to read a map. They're the ones who manage to get out on their own and still don't know which way to turn the steering wheel when they're backing up, .. and they're the ones who bother other truckers to show them their CAT scale tickets and ask if their weights are legal.

You bitch about people coming in who can't put their college degrees to work and you bitch about people coming in who have no education. Just exactly who the hell is supposed to fill all the empty seats?

And do we know the experience level of the idiot who went through the credit union, or are we just assuming he's a rookie because it says "Swift" on the trailer?

You bitch about people coming in who can't put their college degrees to work and you bitch about people coming in who have no education. Just exactly who the hell is supposed to fill all the empty seats?

Most college-educated "book-smart" people are complete idiots in real life. Like all those so-called "mechanical engineers" who do 100% of their work from a computer. I met one once who couldn't even figure out how to start his lawnmower. (It was brand new, .... was shipped without gas in the tank, ... duhh)

But as far as bitching about the quality of new entrants to the trucking industry, I'm just practicing in case I ever have to fill in for [MENTION=5514]Glenn8963[/MENTION]568758599-¾ on his day off.

And do we know the experience level of the idiot who went through the credit union, or are we just assuming he's a rookie because it says "Swift" on the trailer?

We're basing our assumptions by all that stuff he did behind the wheel. :bonk:

To be honest, I would rather have a scared, fresh-from-school noob driving my truck than an overconfident prick with five years' experience. Crap! That means I have to fire myself and hire a rookie! :runningaround:

the one's who bother other truckers to show them their CAT scale tickets and ask if their weights are legal.
Pretty hard to remember 2 numbers 12 and 34. lol. You just hope when they show you the scale ticket that it's legal. Otherwise it opens a whole new can of worms of how to get it legal.

I will be the first one to help any driver that is having trouble getting the pins to release and while I am at it I may as well lock them back in too, So long as you know what hole you want.

Actually I will take the time to show how to make it legal, Hauling paper rolls you get not to bad at guestimating how far to slide the tandems and the dreaded fifth wheel slide

Oddly enough three drivers sat staring out the windshield watching me stuggle to get the handle up to release the pins but it's all good, They have been crossed off my Christmas card list!:harumph:

What got me is a post I made earlier. Driver asks, I tell him, then ask if he is going to CA, says yes, tell him that he can not get legal, and he still moves tandems back to get 47 state legal, but not CA, then takes off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread