• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Swift 'short miles' lawsuit trial, originally set for June 16, moved to October

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
By Greg Grisolano, Land Line staff writer

An attorney representing drivers in a class action lawsuit who claim Swift Transportation shorted them hundreds of millions of dollars on mileage-based pay says he expects the case to finally be heard in court in October.

The lawsuit, which was filed over a decade ago in Arizona, alleges the transportation giant may have underpaid more than 60,000 owner-operators and company drivers by as much as a half billion dollars. The case was supposed to finally be heard next week. But plaintiffs’ attorney Leonard Aragon said the judge continued the trial until Oct. 19.

- See more at: Swift 'short miles' lawsuit trial, originally set for June 16, moved to October

That's the key part of this case. If Swift made that promise, they're toast.
That's not what was in my contract. My company contract (2007) said "dispatched" miles. To me, that means whatever miles are noted in the dispatch. If there's a problem or discrepancy, the time to correct it is before accepting the dispatch.

Should be an open and shut case depending on the papers signed during orientation.

Nothing is an "open and shut" case. There is a maxim in the legal community, that the best settlement is one where both parties in the lawsuit feel they have been equally screwed. Even if Swift has to shell out money, the drivers affected will not get any level of adequate compensation. The lawyers, for both sides, will be the winners.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread