Owner Operator Stayed leased on or get own authority?

If your paying for all that and still taking only 72% get out of that company, you’re getting ripped off. Sounds like Mercer. Definitely better companies out there! You should only be paying 10% for dispatching, fuel tax filings, and fuel card use. Anything above that and you mind as well run your own MC.

If your paying for all that and still taking only 72% get out of that company, you’re getting ripped off. Sounds like Mercer. Definitely better companies out there! You should only be paying 10% for dispatching, fuel tax filings, and fuel card use. Anything above that and you mind as well run your own MC.
10% for dispatching and tax filing and card use? Maybe if pulling your own trailer.

I rent a brand new trailer from company at 180 weekly.
A trailer payment would net you an additional $300-500 per month. You'll loose the benefits of being able to do hook and drop. But I didn't mind that as my dock time became my time to seaech loads or do paperwork.

Yes. Dry van. If you have the means, that’s definitely a better route. Most companies charge between 600-1000 for dry van rentals or leases. But most companies will allow your own trailer.

A trailer payment would net you an additional $300-500 per month. You'll loose the benefits of being able to do hook and drop. But I didn't mind that as my dock time became my time to seaech loads or do paperwork.
Like I said, if you have the means, buying your own trailer is definitely a better option. And I agree about drop and hooks. Not a big issue. Also I think running the same trailer is better than swapping trailers and getting a beat up one. Everything’s a give and take. That’s trucking. I will eventually buy one myself. Currently, I like the option of switching to reefer or flatbed during booms or bad markets.

Speaking of which, if you guys want to calculate the cost of an 80/20 or 72/28 percentage, even at 10-12%. Total your monthly gross which is 5-6k “ that’s a low estimate” comes out to 20-24k monthly. At 20%, your paying your company 4800 a month to do paperwork, fuel card, and whatever else they offer as a package. Gotta make sure it’s worth it. There’s a lot of factors to consider for each company but you have to weigh the benefits. In my 20 years of driving, I don’t see leasing on to a carrier for more than 10% as a fair trade off. If say, your doing it to learn the ropes or build income to go solo than that’s ok. Or if a certain company has high value contracts I would consider. Personally, I like leasing on at 10-12% with my company because of company backing. I can pick all my own loads, but still have a dispatcher to help me decided. He has gotten way better rates for me at times and always lets me make the final decision. I like having a fuel card and emergency breakdown back ups from my company. I’ve done solo, and when you breakdown in the middle of nowhere with no one to help and your flat broke, it will make you want to cry. This is just my opinion guys. Others may have different options with different results, more power to you. Hope we all make it out here!

Speaking of which, if you guys want to calculate the cost of an 80/20 or 72/28 percentage, even at 10-12%. Total your monthly gross which is 5-6k “ that’s a low estimate” comes out to 20-24k monthly. At 20%, your paying your company 4800 a month to do paperwork, fuel card, and whatever else they offer as a package. Gotta make sure it’s worth it. There’s a lot of factors to consider for each company but you have to weigh the benefits. In my 20 years of driving, I don’t see leasing on to a carrier for more than 10% as a fair trade off. If say, your doing it to learn the ropes or build income to go solo than that’s ok. Or if a certain company has high value contracts I would consider. Personally, I like leasing on at 10-12% with my company because of company backing. I can pick all my own loads, but still have a dispatcher to help me decided. He has gotten way better rates for me at times and always lets me make the final decision. I like having a fuel card and emergency breakdown back ups from my company. I’ve done solo, and when you breakdown in the middle of nowhere with no one to help and your flat broke, it will make you want to cry. This is just my opinion guys. Others may have different options with different results, more power to you. Hope we all make it out here!
@Ranger_375

I started in 2012 as a solo leased to Farm2Fleet. In 2013, I got my own authority.

In 2016, I added a second truck with a leased O/O, @JunkYardDog5958
In 2017, I added a third Truck, @Ranger_375
in 2018, @JunkYardDog5958 took over my personal truck in a lease purchase for medical reasons.
In 2019, I added a team and a 4th truck.

I'm willing to add additional trucks as well. But I'm also kinda picky. Had a lot of O/O I won't even talk to after 15-20 minutes.

So I look at things from a company driver, O/O, solo Independent and a small fleet perspective.

I am currently leased onto a company getting 75% using his trailers and authority. He has good customer freight and a lot of times preloaded trailers. I've grossed a little over 100,000 this year but wonder if I can make more on my own. I am still fairly new to this as I have been leased to 2 different people for going on 3 years now. I typically run 2500 to 3000 miles a week and freight seems to be easy to find in my area, midwest. It just seems that paying someone $1000-$1500 a week to dispatch and allow me use their trailers seems like a lot of wasted money.
So you grossed 100k but paid 50 to 75 k per year for a lease? You cannot figure the math yourself? Or are you saying you gross 100k after all expenses, fuel, repairs, lease etc?

I grossed $220,000. I have decided to stay where I am as we have good customer freight and with market like it is,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread