• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

SRT - Even Worse Than Mercer

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Family Outraged Over Company's Response to Trucker's Death

COLUMBIA - A Higbee family said it is outraged over the press release issued in response to the story over deceased trucker Raymond White.

White died of a heart attack on July 14 in New Mexico while driving his truck for Southern Refrigerated Transport.

The family said Monday they received no help from the company when they reported White missing, and that the national group The Missing Trucker's Charity Alert Network led the charge in helping New Mexico State Troopers find White's body.

After White's body was found at a rest stop, the family said SRT refused to transport his remains or his personal belongings without a cash payment on delivery, with a price tag the family couldn't afford.

The family had to reach out to Trucker's Charity Inc., who networked via social media and its community of truckers to send White's cremated remains back to his family.

Three trucks, 2,730 miles and 15 days later, Raymond finished his last ride home. He had been a truck driver for 20 years.

Continued: http://www.komu.com/news/update-family-outraged-over-company-s-response-to-trucker-s-death/

Another article: http://www.komu.com/news/family-says-company-did-nothing-to-bring-deceased-trucker-home/

Last edited by a moderator:
If I owned a company, I would try to help the family out, but I think that simply comes down to personal business ethics.
Exactly. But I'd never work for somebody who doesn't have those ethics.

Your government property, nit an employee
Your government property as long as you remain alive, once your dead they have no more use for you, same as working for a carrier, once your dead they have no use for you.
Odd one brings you home. one just rolls you out to make room for another.

Not always.

awww.kidsthankavet.com_images_ddaygraves.JPG
I've always wondered why they buried so many GI's on foreign soil. I can understand why in the middle of the war, .. but after the war I don't understand why they didn't dig 'em up & bring them home. Can the families of those dead vets have them dug up & brought home & re-buried at Arlington if they wanted to? If one of my grandpas had been killed on D-Day (though I wouldn't have been born, ... ) I wouldn't want them buried in FRANCE of all places.
awww.kidsthankavet.com_images_ddaygraves.JPG

I've always wondered why they buried so many GI's on foreign soil. I can understand why in the middle of the war, .. but after the war I don't understand why they didn't dig 'em up & bring them home. Can the families of those dead vets have them dug up & brought home & re-buried at Arlington if they wanted to? If one of my grandpas had been killed on D-Day (though I wouldn't have been born, ... ) I wouldn't want them buried in FRANCE of all places.

It sounds cold hearted Duck but it was just a cost thing. So many men lost their lives the two weeks after D Day it would have cost millions to have them returned. Not to mention embalming them for transport. The Cemetery and Memorial are immaculate and hold to Pershing's promise.

As for having them exhumed, I would guess you would have to start with the Dept of Veteran affairs. Though personally I would say those men have no problem laying in that field of honor with their brothers in arms.

Though personally I would say those men have no problem laying in that field of honor with their brothers in arms.
They'd have the same "field of honor" at Arlington, plus their families wouldn't need a Visa & an expensive international flight to visit their grave.

I don't visit graves. The person who was does not lie there. That's only the physical remnants that the spirit left behind. It's like the coccoon of a caterpillar after the butterfly is gone. I would no sooner visit a grave than talk to the clothes my friend wore yesterday. Because that's all that remains there.

I don't visit graves. The person who was does not lie there. That's only the physical remnants that the spirit left behind. It's like the coccoon of a caterpillar after the butterfly is gone. I would no sooner visit a grave than talk to the clothes my friend wore yesterday. Because that's all that remains there.
I get what you're saying but most people still value a person's corpse enough to spend lots of money on funeral services, a burial plot, fancy box, granite headstone, etc. If everyone saw it they way you do, there would be no cemeteries. We'd just be cremated or ground up into Soylent Green & fed to prison inmates & public school children.

Funerals, caskets, morticians and cemeteries only exist so that people still living can put on a show for their neighbors. "Look how much money we have to waste! Wheeee! Throw that money away!" We only do these things because somebody, somewhere at some point in time decided we should...and it's a huge industry now.

Cremate me, have a big party and spread my ashes on the open road from a motorcycle. Cost: $250 for cremation, $15 for gasoline and however much it costs to buy beer, pop and food for a good barbeque. I have nothing to prove to the neighborhood.

Reactions: AK7
Cremate me, have a big party and spread my ashes on the open road from a motorcycle. Cost: $250 for cremation, $15 for gasoline and however much it costs to buy beer, pop and food for a good barbeque. I have nothing to prove to the neighborhood.
If you really consider human remains to be nothing but medical waste or an empty shell, you would've just said "Cremate me & have the mortician dump my ashes in the dumpster".

But instead you said "Cremate me, have a big party and spread my ashes on the open road from a motorcycle". So it seems you understand that the things people do with deceased loved ones' remains is done for sentimental reasons.

Back to what I was saying about the veterans though. For the same sentimental reasons, if one of my grandpas had been killed & buried on foreign soil, I'd want him dug up & brought home & re-buried in the soil he died protecting. If I was fighting in a war & was killed overseas, I'd sure as hell want to be brought home for burial, even if all my family does is cremate my corpse & spread the ashes. At least they'd be spread on American soil instead of in an ungrateful country that hates us.

Spread my ashes to make yourselves feel better. Because I'm not really going to care and I don't want anybody wasting their time moping around a stupid rock with my name on it. That more clear?

Spread my ashes to make yourselves feel better. Because I'm not really going to care and I don't want anybody wasting their time moping around a stupid rock with my name on it. That more clear?
Hey what's your opinion of the people who mix people's ashes in with tattoo ink & get a tattoo with it? When my friend Eric died, our other friend Brad did that with a little bit of Eric's ashes. I thought it was weird.

Hey what's your opinion of the people who mix people's ashes in with tattoo ink & get a tattoo with it? When my friend Eric died, our other friend Brad did that with a little bit of Eric's ashes. I thought it was weird.
Brad did it to make himself feel better. If it worked, I suppose it was worth it. I can assure you, Eric doesn't give a crap. He's long gone.

They'd have the same "field of honor" at Arlington, plus their families wouldn't need a Visa & an expensive international flight to visit their grave.

Agreed. And for the most part we do give them that trip. I talked with a young man assigned to graves who was visiting a friend at York a couple months ago. He helps coordinate with the families for the last trip home. This is done at no cost to the families.

However like I said the sheer cost at a time when we were bankrupt as a country and still in a quite undecided theater in Europe they could not justify it. And I am sure if one were to ask for and pay for the procedure and transport they could coordinate with Veterans Affairs and the agency that run our foreign cemeteries (blanking on the name right now) to have them returned home.

View attachment 13019

The buried them because there was no way they could send them back with the war going on, one reason was so many got killed in the battles going on, & of course they did not have the transportation they had during the Vietnam War. Plus during the Vietnam War there was not near as many killed at one time.

I was reading not long back about one of the Military Cemeteries that are overseas & they said after the war they asked family members would they like to bring them home or leave them buried there. Oh, I looked at my bookmarks & found it.

After the war had ended on the continent and paralleling the work undertaken to repair all the devastation that the war had caused, work began on exhuming the American remains and transferring them in accordance with the wishes of their families.

Click on above scroll down to history & you can read this.

So most family members had a choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread